Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 AM

26,964 posts, read 13,212,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Of course nobody deserves it, but don't claim that the English are just innocent bystanders enjoying the day.

What I read on twitter was that:

1) the English were provocating
2) the locals got fed up
3) the police intervened
4) the Russians joined the party
That's not what I read and it's not what the media or fans are reporting, the truth being Russia and many Eastern Block countries have a real problem with football violence and racism.

They even attacked England fans including disabled fans on camera in the stadium last night.

Euro 2016: Russian Ultra football hooligans pledge to bring chaos ahead of England's opening match

Russian yobs warn British fans with graphic fighting video | Daily Star

England fan recounts the chaos caused by Russian ultras | Daily Mail Online

Euro 2016: Who are Russia's ultra football hooligans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Poland also has a real football violence problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:56 AM

10,627 posts, read 15,947,857 times
Just ban Russia from next Euro Cup. They shouldn't even be allowed to enter any European tournament in the first place, just like Turkey.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:05 AM

2,975 posts, read 2,800,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
That's not what I read and it's not what the media or fans are reporting, the truth being Russia and many Eastern Block countries have a real problem with football violence and racism.

They even attacked England fans including disabled fans on camera in the stadium last night.

Euro 2016: Russian Ultra football hooligans pledge to bring chaos ahead of England's opening match

Russian yobs warn British fans with graphic fighting video | Daily Star

England fan recounts the chaos caused by Russian ultras | Daily Mail Online

Euro 2016: Who are Russia's ultra football hooligans? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
You are right. English fan's main problem is their abuse of alcohool in such occasions as well as their wit who can lead to tough situations such as this one but most of the problem here lies in the fans travelling from Eastern Europe and especially in how French police and UEFA have handled things.

I would prefer you restrained yourself from linking to the Daily Star and Daily Mail when there are so many news websites who are reporting on what's happening

Old 06-12-2016, 06:10 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,384,857 times
Ariete

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 AM

26,964 posts, read 13,212,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
You are right. English fan's main problem is their abuse of alcohool in such occasions as well as their wit who can lead to tough situations such as this one but most of the problem here lies in the fans travelling from Eastern Europe and especially in how French police and UEFA have handled things.

I would prefer you restrained yourself from linking to the Daily Star and Daily Mail when there are so many news websites who are reporting on what's happening

It's in every newspaper and media source I would post the The Times but it's a subscription site. I did post the Guardian and The Telegraph.

England fan fighting for his life *and dozens more injured as English fans and Russian thugs clash on June 11th

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 AM

28,896 posts, read 54,003,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Are we? I think it might be the other way round...

But I think it's a perfectly valid question from the OP about why football hasn't taken in the US as it has the rest of the world. So far on this thread the gist of the answers - it's "gay", for example - have been less than enlightening. My theory is the US needs a slow, drawn-out game that can stop every other minute so you can be bombarded with advertisements. I reckon if they reduced the down-time (which, no matter how much the likes of Joey want to spin it, is not exciting viewing), made it halves instead of quarters, lost the armour and changed the rules slightly, it would be much more exciting and might be played in a few more countries...
Sure you are. The fact that this question gets asked all the time is proof.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:14 AM

14,818 posts, read 11,927,853 times
Quote:
No, but if someone shouts like "fu*k you" at you for 5 hours while trashing your local bar, is it surprising that maybe you get a bit annoyed at some point?
I'm sorry but there is NO excuse, the gangs that attacked the English were organised, ie they were going to attack anyway! The Russians even said they were going to attack the English before the tournament started, the thing is the English will ALWAYS be blamed its a win win for the French. There is no trouble at football in England, its a sport attended by family's there are NO fences, NO police with dogs and NO teargas, in Europe it is somewhat different and yet STILL the English get all the blame! Being drunk or even obnoxious is one thing, attacking anybody and anyone just because they're English (and it seems possibly murdering them) is something else, PARTICULARLY when a gang attacks individuals, I for one am sick to death of the blame game, any potential English troublemakers aren't even allowed to leave the UK at the time of a tournament yet the Russian powers that be simply 'sweep it under the carpet' its ******* outrageous.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:15 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,384,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
That's because soccer isn't the most practised sport by women in large parts of Western Europe. Our main woman sport in Italy is usually volleyball. Aside from that, i know no one who actually cares for women's football
Soccer isn't the most popular women's sport here either. Basketball, volleyball and track are more popular. Softball is as popular with adolescent girls here as soccer.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,701,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Well, English media reporting downplaying the English violence is not a surprise. It's easy to just play the victim.

Engish fans are ALWAYS in the eye of the storm in these competitions. It can't be a surprise, can it?

I agree that even if the British hooligans are largely professional criminals, they have usually a some kind of 'code'. Russian hools don't. Some are even ready to kill, and they don't recognise the concept of a 'civilian'.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:23 AM

14,818 posts, read 11,927,853 times
Quote:
Well, English media reporting downplaying the English violence is not a surprise. It's easy to just play the victim.

Engish fans are ALWAYS in the eye of the storm in these competitions. It can't be a surprise, can it?

I agree that even if the British hooligans are largely professional criminals, they have usually a some kind of 'code'. Russian hools don't. Some are even ready to kill, and they don't recognise the concept of a 'civilian'.
There you go blame the English, you don't even know the facts! That is typical, I have two friends at the tournament, I know the truth, the English have been targeted by both Russian and French gangs, they know the English will get the blame regardless like I said, its win win, the French police let the group (with my friends in it) get attacked and only went in after 5 minutes where they promptly tear gassed them, it makes my blood boil, nothing will even be done about this, the Russians will simply deny their thugs are causing any problems and they will simply get away with it, at least the UK authorities will act on this kind of thing. In the meantime next season going to a game in Russia will involve being caged, being attacked and being surrounded by police with dogs, going to a game in the UK next season will be a somewhat different experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World