Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country would you prefer (PLEASE read scenario BELOW FIRST)?
The "liberal" one 29 61.70%
The "conservative" one 18 38.30%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Apparently some people do.
Some. There are some who try to escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:29 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The Bahamas
Dominican Republic
Mexico
Panama
Colombia
Brazil
South Africa

vs.

Belarus
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Bangladesh
Brunei

Is there any country from the 2nd group you prefer over a country from the 1st group?
Honestly, I would not live in any of the nations from the 2nd group. As a Catholic, I might face government persecution from many of the nations in the second group. Belarus and E.G. are very repressive and corrupt.

From the first list, The Bahamas seems like the least corrupt of the nations on that list. As for safety, I have to look for the safest parts of those nations.

Understand this though. I look at this from my perspective as an American. Where am I likely to have due process? Which nations rank decently on freedom of speech? I value freedom as well as safety.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Quote:
The Bahamas
Dominican Republic
Mexico
Panama
Colombia
Brazil
South Africa

vs.

Belarus
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Bangladesh
Brunei

Is there any country from the 2nd group you prefer over a country from the 1st group?
In group 2, I would live in Bangladesh and maybe Iran but none of the others.

In group 1, I would not want to live in Mexico or South Africa but I would like to live in the others.

Bangladesh is actually a cool place to live. I'd definitely go there before I thought about Mexico or South Africa.

Group 1 wins by a score of 5-2. I'd choose the liberal country.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
The Bahamas
Dominican Republic
Mexico
Panama
Colombia
Brazil
South Africa

vs.

Belarus
Libya
Equatorial Guinea
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Bangladesh
Brunei

Libya is wartorn right now and murder rates don't represent that. I love Brunei and I would be in any country except Libya before I would live in SA, I don't know much about Panama but it seems very South Africa like minus the xenophobia towards Nigerians. It's a toss up but if I made a list.

1. Brunei

2. Mexico

3. Brazil
4. Saudi Arabia

5. Bangledesh
5. Dominican Republic
6. Belarus
6. Iran
7. Colombia

8. Panama
8. Equatorial Guineau

9. South Africa

10. Libya

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I love Brunei
You love sharia law?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Bangladesh is actually a cool place to live. I'd definitely go there before I thought about Mexico or South Africa.

Non-muslims and gays are targeted and killed by muslim groups with machetes on the streets almost every day.
Its been on the news a lot recently.
Last month a doctor was killed there for having a "reputation for progressive views".

Old 06-11-2016, 12:27 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And still Bulgaria is 10% Muslim while Finland is 1%, Mr. Half Ottoman.
OK, stop pretending you speak English, Ruski...here's a real question in your language:

Почему ты думаешь Финляндия = Скандинавия, когда Финландия част России?

Old 06-11-2016, 08:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Country 1 ("liberal"): Very free country. Has anti-discrimination laws. Pro gays, pro women, etc and etc. You can dress however you want. There's free speech. It's pretty much a democracy. But alas, it's very violent and ferocious. Murder rate is extremely high, as is rape, muggings, assaults and other sorts of malicious crimes.

Country 2 ("conservative"): Almost like a dictatorship. A cruel law system with death penalties such as the firing range and decapitation, and punishments such as lashes. No free speech allowed (at least controversial ones that go against the government). You must dress or act how the law wants you to (especially the women). No LGBT or women's rights. But here, you're safe as you can be, just as long as you abide to the laws. You can leave your door open all night and no one would rob you. Hardly any murder or assaults.

Pick your poison.
I'd like to know where you are getting your version of liberal and conservative.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
You love sharia law?
No, I don't love sharia law, but I personally know someone who lived in Brunei, she is a woman and her kids favorite country to live in has been Brunei. She herself prefers Brunei over Nigeria, and knowing how successful Brunei is as a country by GDP PPP and life expectancy, to her kids when they lived in Brunei they could do whatever they wanted outside and not worry about danger. When they lived in Nigeria or even the U.S they didn't have that freedom.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No, I don't love sharia law, but I personally know someone who lived in Brunei, she is a woman and her kids favorite country to live in has been Brunei. She herself prefers Brunei over Nigeria, and knowing how successful Brunei is as a country by GDP PPP and life expectancy, to her kids when they lived in Brunei they could do whatever they wanted outside and not worry about danger. When they lived in Nigeria or even the U.S they didn't have that freedom.
You love a country based on a friend and her kids preference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World