Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Now I just need to figure out where to go. Nordic countries seem better (more environmentally friendly, better education, more cooperative, bigger safety net to help the poor/needy) than anglo countries. But they also seem less multicultural/harder to immigrate to, especially since I don't speak the languages and I'm a nonwhite Muslim. Besides, I'm not sure how well I'd be paid.
I don't know where this "Nordic Countries are homogenous" comes from. Sweden and Norway have a higher percentage of immigrants of the total population than the UK, France and the Netherlands. Denmark and Finland to a lesser degree, but between them are countries like Italy and Portugal. Tiny Iceland is as multicultural as France, due to the high number of guest workers from EU countries.
The most homogenous countries in Europe are Poland, Romania and Bulgaria.

Quote:
That's perfectly fine with me; if I successfully move out of the US, I will renounce my citizenship anyway (to avoid expat taxes). My concerns about moving to a European country are language barriers (although German or French wouldn't be too hard to learn compared to a Nordic language), difficulty immigrating as a non-EU citizen, fear of not being accepted (most European countries don't seem to be quite as multicultural as North America), and the fact that it seems like more doctors aren't DESPERATELY needed over there.
The only language that is hard to learn is Finnish, as it's not even an indo-european language. Swedish and Norwegian are quite easy to get a hang on, definitely easier than French or Spanish. Additionally, everyone in the Nordic Countries speak English, so your landing will be more easy there.

Doctors are DESPERATELY needed in Finland at the moment, and the pay is good (better than in Sweden).

Oh, I suddenly remembered this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/37432892-post126.html

Last edited by Ariete; 06-17-2016 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
I'm a Pakistani-American college student hoping to apply to med school next year.
College is not a good time to be making judgments about a country. Everything looks distorted when you're at the bottom looking up.

You have a long road ahead of you. Your job right now should simply be to hang in there. Your life will be very different when you become a doctor.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:

I'm a ... college student

If anyone else has any thoughts or advice, please share! Thank you in advance and sorry for the long post!
I shortened it for you. The first four words are all I need to know.

Maybe they don't teach you in college that human beings the world over since the year one are cantankerous, ornery, selfish, self-serving physical organisms, and smaller or bigger groups of these individual physical organisms from time to time come together and cooperate to the extent that it is mutually beneficial to themselves, and then they turn on each other.

No exceptions.

All that other crap about countries, ideologies, ethics, religions is a goddamn smokescreen.

But you won't believe me until you find out for yourself.

So go, and don't let the door boot you in the ass as you're leaving.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-17-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I like America but not our foreign policy. I think things have the potential to improve a lot as it's now easy to talk with people around the world and understand how our policies effect them. If everyone with a real world view leaves America our policies will get more hawkish, so I plan to stay and educate people and vote against people who lack decency or common sense. With Bernie out in 2016 that means no Hillary (for Iraq War, masterminded failed Arab Spring) or Trump (a couple tacos short of a combination dinner).

The same way tax payer dollars aren't used for abortions I wish we'd pass a law that people could prevent their tax dollars from going for Dept of Defense actions unless Congress declares war.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Sorry, I should have also mentioned that (although I'm rusty) I learned Spanish in high school, which should make learning, say, French, a bit easier. I heard Nordic languages are hard to learn; I guess that could be wrong though.

And I also should have mentioned that I don't want to go to a Muslim-majority country; my parents like them and (contrary to what the media says) they're nice to visit, but the language barrier would be an issue, they're too conservative for a lefty like me, and acquiring citizenship would be difficult (Saudi Arabia doesn't give citizenship to anyone- there are reasons for this that I don't feel like diving into).
The Scandinavian languages are hard in terms of pronunciation. Compared to German, the grammar is easier.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The Scandinavian languages are hard in terms of pronunciation. Compared to German, the grammar is easier.
And French, German and Spanish are not?

Kan jag få dagens tidning, tack?
How hard is that?

Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And French and German are not?

Kan jag få dagens tidning, tack?
How hard is that?
I couldn't tell you the first thing about Finnish but yeah, that scares me LOL

I find the pronunciation of German fairly easy. It's the grammar that trips you up.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Halycon; I took note of two items mentioned in your O/P That of you being of Pakistani extraction and desiring to do good for the human race.

Guess where I'm going to suggest you go with your desire and the fact you are a Liberal Muslim where I believe you could find a place what would benefit greatly from your desire to do a world of good.

I am not intending to come off as contrary minded to your stated desires but may I ask; if you wish to do good things for people at large, can you tell me why you're choosing only those places that are already listed as preferred nations to live while ignoring those places that have a history of regression and oppression along with religious zealotry comparatively keeping them ensnared in the dark ages?

Pakistan strikes me as a country that would benefit greatly from your two statements I earmarked. The fact you are a liberal muslim might of course put you at jeopardy but hey, the very best of good deeds are often the most risky ones, riiiiight?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Besides the middle east, you're unlikely to be highly compensated.
And the middle east isn't particularly progressive.

Also, wait till you're done with med school.
It will open your eyes a lot about how people act and what you think people deserve.

I also agree with the poster who suggested you go move somewhere and make it how you think it should be. Not hide somewhere amongst a bunch of sycophants.

Last edited by stan4; 06-17-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I couldn't tell you the first thing about Finnish but yeah, that scares me LOL

I find the pronunciation of German fairly easy. It's the grammar that trips you up.
That's Swedish. "Can I have the day's newspaper, please".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World