Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 09:45 PM

486 posts, read 445,138 times

Advertisements

In some German Dialects G is pronounced /χ/ or /x/ at word end. But is /k/ and /ç/ in others.

Can German Native Speakers help explain this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
I'm not a native speaker but I've studied German. Generally, it's always pronounced like the English hard G, even in words like "general" where it retains the hard G sound as in "go". At the end of words, it's pronounced like a K.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:59 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,295 times
Well, there is a North/South divide in German languages/dialects. In the North people generally pronounce the ending g as a German ch which you transcribe as /χ/ or /x/. So Tag becomes Tach, König Könich etc. And then there is the Palatine/Hessian (also extendig to Luxemburg) and Saxon variation of Könisch.

If you can read German, this survey shows a distribution for Tag:
https://www.philhist.uni-augsburg.de...unde_1/f15a-b/

Or here, for König, wenig, zwanzig:
Aussprache König, wenig und zwanzig « atlas-alltagssprache

In standard German (Hochdeutsch or to use the better southern German word: Schriftdeutsch), which really is an artificial language mix, König is pronounced as Könich whereas Tag remains Tag. I would say that all words ending on "ig" are generally pronounced "ich" in standard German.

Gentoo says that a hard K is used for words ending in g. This is true for standard German words not endig in "ig" and for some southern dialects. Where I come from, the very southwest of Germany, the "g" doesn't become a "k", at least not in my ears, and some consonants are pronounced in a softer way here (t->d, p->b).

Maybe this question should have been posted in the Europe section.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Maybe the question need not have been posted at all.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Maybe the question need not have been posted at all.
It is probably as legit a question as a lot of what is posted.

Last edited by GER308; 06-22-2016 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 09:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Well, there is a North/South divide in German languages/dialects. In the North people generally pronounce the ending g as a German ch which you transcribe as /χ/ or /x/. So Tag becomes Tach, König Könich etc. And then there is the Palatine/Hessian (also extendig to Luxemburg) and Saxon variation of Könisch.

If you can read German, this survey shows a distribution for Tag:
https://www.philhist.uni-augsburg.de...unde_1/f15a-b/

Or here, for König, wenig, zwanzig:
Aussprache König, wenig und zwanzig « atlas-alltagssprache

In standard German (Hochdeutsch or to use the better southern German word: Schriftdeutsch), which really is an artificial language mix, König is pronounced as Könich whereas Tag remains Tag. I would say that all words ending on "ig" are generally pronounced "ich" in standard German.

Gentoo says that a hard K is used for words ending in g. This is true for standard German words not endig in "ig" and for some southern dialects. Where I come from, the very southwest of Germany, the "g" doesn't become a "k", at least not in my ears, and some consonants are pronounced in a softer way here (t->d, p->b).

Maybe this question should have been posted in the Europe section.
Thanks Greggo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World