Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Olympics?
Seoul 1988 1 2.56%
Barcelona 1992 10 25.64%
Atlanta 1996 3 7.69%
Sydney 2000 4 10.26%
Athens 2004 5 12.82%
Beijing 2008 4 10.26%
London 2012 10 25.64%
Rio 2016 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,607 times

Advertisements

London, just to remind people in spite of what's happening now, that there was a huge buzz of positivity emanating from the city as it showed the world what a great city it is. I don't really do pride or patriotism, but, I have to admit, it looked wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 02:32 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I'm always surprised by how much people care about the Olympics. It strikes me as one of the most corrupt and wasteful events ever.
And boring, and overly politicised! With that in mind, I'd say NONE of the above! If a $1,000 FIFA World Cup ticket and a free Olympic ticket were to be presented in front of me and I could only choose one, I'd choose the FIFA ticket!

Not every part of the world cares about the Olympic games! From what I heard much of Latin America is quite indifferent to it, as is the Middle East. Even Asian countries like Indonesia don't care either (I know this from experience as I was there when the London Olympics were happening, and there was hardly any discussion in the media or among the people about it at all). And even in European, African, and Asian countries that do pay attention, I highly doubt people (except maybe the host nation) would disrupt or alter their routines en masse just to watch it to the degree they would when the FIFA World Cup rolls around (especially if their country hosts or has a match in it). I think Google trends would agree with me there (all you have to do is compare searches for "FIFA" and "Olympics" to see where I'm getting at).

That being said, my country (being a former American colony and all, with the corresponding relative lack of interest in football/soccer compared to its neighbors), the Olympics is still more watched than the FIFA World Cup though I think the popularity gap between the two events is beginning to shrink now.

Last edited by mrconfusion87; 07-18-2016 at 02:43 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Athens 2004. It would have been cool to see the Olympics where they originally began.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
I'm always surprised by how much people care about the Olympics. It strikes me as one of the most corrupt and wasteful events ever.
I think FIFA is slightly more corrupt. IMO the Summer Olympics are meh. Running, swimming, and everything else isn't that entertaining. I prefer the Winter Olympics because when you think about it the events are pretty much exercises in craziness...

Downhill skiing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fss3i1XMMIY

Ski jumping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFs7jVgUeDo

The ice based events (luge, bobsled, and skeleton)...no video. As a hockey guy, I enjoy this tournament and curling is semi-enjoyable.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Beijing

Old 07-19-2016, 12:09 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
I attended Barcelona 92, but I was so little sooo I would like to remember better and go again.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I think FIFA is slightly more corrupt. IMO the Summer Olympics are meh. Running, swimming, and everything else isn't that entertaining. I prefer the Winter Olympics because when you think about it the events are pretty much exercises in craziness...

Downhill skiing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fss3i1XMMIY

Ski jumping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFs7jVgUeDo

The ice based events (luge, bobsled, and skeleton)...no video. As a hockey guy, I enjoy this tournament and curling is semi-enjoyable.
Both FIFA and the Olympics are redundant and wasteful af.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Both FIFA and the Olympics are redundant and wasteful af.
Olympics at least have the merit of giving space to little sports. It's the CIO that's the problem and not the tournament itself. The same goes for FIFA.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:27 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Olympics at least have the merit of giving space to little sports. It's the CIO that's the problem and not the tournament itself. The same goes for FIFA.
Sure the athletes themselves are not wasteful or corrupt and the tournament itself is good to bring all the countries together and all that (though I find all sports terribly boring). What I don't get is the amount of money spent by the host cities and countries. Why not just use the stadium that's already there? Why build thousands upon thousands of venues for this ONE single event? i can't think of any reason other than showing off.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:33 AM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
And boring, and overly politicised! With that in mind, I'd say NONE of the above! If a $1,000 FIFA World Cup ticket and a free Olympic ticket were to be presented in front of me and I could only choose one, I'd choose the FIFA ticket!

Not every part of the world cares about the Olympic games! From what I heard much of Latin America is quite indifferent to it, as is the Middle East. Even Asian countries like Indonesia don't care either (I know this from experience as I was there when the London Olympics were happening, and there was hardly any discussion in the media or among the people about it at all). And even in European, African, and Asian countries that do pay attention, I highly doubt people (except maybe the host nation) would disrupt or alter their routines en masse just to watch it to the degree they would when the FIFA World Cup rolls around (especially if their country hosts or has a match in it). I think Google trends would agree with me there (all you have to do is compare searches for "FIFA" and "Olympics" to see where I'm getting at).

That being said, my country (being a former American colony and all, with the corresponding relative lack of interest in football/soccer compared to its neighbors), the Olympics is still more watched than the FIFA World Cup though I think the popularity gap between the two events is beginning to shrink now.
I would choose Super Bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World