Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
New York City 4 10.00%
LA 8 20.00%
San Francisco 2 5.00%
London 3 7.50%
Paris 6 15.00%
Sydney 12 30.00%
Tokyo 2 5.00%
Hong Kong 2 5.00%
Dubai 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,276,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
My point: shootings can happen anywhere in the US, like that Isla Vista shooting some time ago.
Has nothing to do with the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,636,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Me too but unfortunately we don't have those options in this poll.
In that case, I'll pick Sydney as it has the second best climate of the cities listed plus Australia has decent social programs. I think the poor there are better looked after than in the US from what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Wait, if you were poor, you would move to Ho Chi Minh City over a rich western city?

In NYC, a poor person gets free housing BY LAW. The city is required to house anyone who asks, provided they can prove they are poor. They also get free food, a monthly paycheck, almost free cell phone, and free college/job training.

In the third world, you will get nothing. You will be eating out of the garbage and living in the street if you don't have a job.
I'm assuming I'd already have some kind of meager pension or able to make a bit of money online that's why I chose somewhere like Ho Chi Minh City. If I had to rely on social services then I'd pick Sydney.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:25 AM

10,634 posts, read 15,958,571 times
Interesting how NYC is winning in the rich poll but not even got 1 vote here.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

16,583 posts, read 27,305,304 times
Quote:
Looking at some of the responses, it seems as if most are basing their decisions on climate. Personally, I'd rather live in a bad climate with a roof over my head than a good climate but having to sleep on the streets.

It also seems like some view the climate of Southern California like that of Florida. It isn't. It can get cold here, especially when it rains. Winter is the rainy season here and the storm systems that bring that rain originate in the Gulf of Alaska and that rain is cold. Certainly not something I'd want to be forced to sleep outside in.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,276,715 times
Quote:
Because people aren't thinking about it critically.

If you are poor you want to be in a rich city, not a poor one. Poor cities in the third world have minimal services for the poor; it is survival of the fittest.

And it doesn't matter if rich cities are expensive and poor cities are cheap; poor people don't pay market rents in expensive cities. They live in govt. subsidized housing. They almost certainly pay less % rent in NYC or Paris than in the third world.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM

431 posts, read 518,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I was going to say this. Los Angeles is actually not a very good place to be homeless at all. Compared to San Francisco, there aren't many services for homeless people. I actually was living out of my car some years ago in the Bay Area and services are even better where I was across the bay. I would never want to be homeless anywhere in Southern California.
Who said anything about being homeless? There is a difference between living in the projects and being homeless. If I were extremely poor but not homeless, out of all of the US cities listed I think I would have to go with LA on this one.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Who said anything about being homeless? There is a difference between living in the projects and being homeless. If I were extremely poor but not homeless, out of all of the US cities listed I think I would have to go with LA on this one.
Even by that criteria, LA is still not a good choice compared to other US cities. For starters, there really aren't many "projects" or low income housing in general in LA or most of Socal. New York as previously mentioned has perhaps the best safety nets for the poor, Seattle does pretty good with this too. California in general is not a good place to be poor at all. It's not even a good place to be middle class. Many lower income and retired people move to other states for this reason. LA is a bad choice, just ask the poor who've moved there.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:19 PM

10,634 posts, read 15,958,571 times
San Francisco 0 votes?
Even Dubai and Hong Kong got votes

Old 07-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
San Francisco 0 votes?
Are you kidding me? Poor people can't live in San Francisco. Not when the average rent is between 3000 and 5000 dollars a month for a one bedroom, in some places even a studio. San Francisco has no business even being on this list and it seems like a lot of people have no idea what California really is in general.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM

431 posts, read 518,754 times
Quote:
San Francisco 0 votes?
I would REALLY like to know the reasoning behind the person who chose Dubai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World