U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 AM

7,935 posts, read 4,615,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Top 10

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Sydney
Melbourne
Albuquerque
Las Cruces
Victoria
Monte Carlo
San Diego

Bottom 10

Mogadishu
Kabul
Mumbai
New Delhi
Baghdad
Lagos
Caracas
Pyongyang
Beijing
Tehran

I like smaller cities too...like, Burlington, where I live is hard to beat,
it is usually rated top medium size city in Canada, with next door Oakville a close second.
Monte Carlo isn't a city. It's basically a neighborhood in Monaco.

Also, your top cities on earth are four Canadian cities, and then Las Cruces and Albuquerque? Very weird and random list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 AM

Only looking at first world, and only looking at cities I've visited:

Most Favorite-

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Paris
4. Rome
5. Florence
6. Venice
7. Bruges
8. Amsterdam
9. Madrid
10. Vienna

Least Favorite-

1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte
3. Phoenix
4. Las Vegas
5. Kansas City
6. Frankfurt
7. Essen/Dortmund/Duisburg (the whole Ruhrgebiet)
8. Leipzig
9. Liverpool
10. Rotterdam

Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 AM

8,094 posts, read 5,540,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Monte Carlo isn't a city. It's basically a neighborhood in Monaco.

Also, your top cities on earth are four Canadian cities, and then Las Cruces and Albuquerque? Very weird and random list.
They may be going with the cities they have actually visited, so not so weird.

Your list could be considered weird by some. Vienna? Meh. Your fave list isn't very worldly...US and Europe, some would say that is weird, unless of course YOU are only going by where you've actually been.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Your list could be considered weird by some. Vienna? Meh.
You are comparing Vienna to Las Cruces and Alberquerque? LOL. What's next, comparing Paris to Walla Walla and Saskatoon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your fave list isn't very worldly...US and Europe, some would say that is weird, unless of course YOU are only going by where you've actually been.
Why is it weird? 90% of the developed world is the U.S. and Europe. It would be weird if a Top 10 list weren't dominated by the U.S. and Europe.

Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan don't amount to much. Really only Japan is heavily populated and Japanese cities are pretty much all ugly. I haven't been to Australia or New Zealand and Canadian cities tend to be meh, not gorgeous/interesting and not hideous/boring.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 AM

432 posts, read 216,467 times
Top 10:
1. Boston
2. NYC
3. London
4. Chicago
5. Vancouver
6. Sydney
7. DC
8. Berlin
9. Dublin
10. Paris

Bottom 10:
idk

Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 AM

401 posts, read 407,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post

The region around it is beautiful, on the east side of the city you have the Superga hill and further behind the Monferrato wineyards, on the west side you have the Alps at mere kilometers from the city (Avigliana Lakes at 30 kms, Colle del Lys at 45 kms, ecc.). The flat land is only to the Northeast of the City, Milan is far flatter. The city isn't touristy but it has a Parisien feeling with the French capital having inspired the Savoy in the building of the city, has a decent nightlife (along the riverside, in the Quadrilatero and San Salvario) and probably is the best large city to live in Italy as it offers much for families (it has the highest percent of parkland for example, playgrounds every 100 meters, is clean aside from air pollution issues in winter that are more due to the climate).
well I've only stopped a couple of times in Turin on my way to the big French ski resorts (less traffic in Italy compared to France in February), and I've always found this region kinda depressing. Maybe I have only seen the bad side if Turin during the winter. The comparison with Paris is a little bit ridiculous imo.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM

8,094 posts, read 5,540,697 times
Quote:
You are comparing Vienna to Las Cruces and Alberquerque? LOL. What's next, comparing Paris to Walla Walla and Saskatoon?

Why is it weird? 90% of the developed world is the U.S. and Europe. It would be weird if a Top 10 list weren't dominated by the U.S. and Europe.

Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan don't amount to much. Really only Japan is heavily populated and Japanese cities are pretty much all ugly. I haven't been to Australia or New Zealand and Canadian cities tend to be meh, not gorgeous/interesting and not hideous/boring.
I'm not comparing Vienna to those places. I'm comparing Vienna with the rest of the world's great cities.
It's a nice place, rather staid and boring for the most part. Pretty buildings and a good cafe culture and a centre of certain music.

My point is that if you are calling someone else's list " weird " it's very easy to suggest that your list is possible
"weird " to others.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM

5,658 posts, read 5,989,312 times
I'll give an explanation for my Top 3 and for my Bottom 3 overall. After that I'll specify the ones I've been to and the ones I haven't been to, just for good measure.

Top 3:

Melbourne: (have visited before)
Australia is similar to the United States from several standpoints. Along with Canada, the two countries are the most similar to the United States on this planet. I genuinely like Melbourne and after living in the United States the majority of my life, a prospect of Melbourne wouldn't be a foreign concept to me at all. The city has a very good balance of urban living in the core and suburban living moving away from the core. The city is an excellent place for drinkers and people that love electronic music and nightlife geared towards that. There is enough historic architecture to go with the modern architecture in the city, from the Victorian Gold Rush era to modern day styles. Most importantly though, Melbourne presents an environment that is suitable for work in my industry. There aren't a lot of other cities nearby to visit on weekends but the location has plenty of scenic areas surrounding the city. The city's location on Port Philip Bay is advantageous, as is the vicinity to the ocean, I generally like water related activities, especially in the summer months and generally prefer a city with access to the coast over a city tucked deep into the interior of the land mass (though in some cases I can also like inland cities over particular coastal ones too, so it all depends). Melbourne doesn't have the diversity of a New York, but it is an incredibly diverse city too. It has a large population of Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Turkish, Indian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, various groups of Middle-Easterners, Bosnians, Ethiopians, Somali, among others. There is most definitely enough ethnic eating location for me to enjoy living in this city.

Melbourne is a very practical city; it presents itself as a place that I can live a nice and stable life without giving up on employment opportunities, pay, or quality of life aspects. The city is very well rounded. Perfect? Obviously not, but checks boxes on my personal list.

Sydney: (have visited before)
Sydney is the most iconic city in Australia but that is not why I like the city. It has an extremely beautiful location in Australia, sandwiched in between the ocean and Kanangra-Boyd National Park, both of which is absolutely breathtaking and well worth seeing (especially Sydney Harbour from a tour boat). Like Melbourne, the city is a conducive environment for me with regards to employment opportunities and the set and build of the city leaves the door open to familiarity for me, since I grew up in the United States. The nightlife is well suited for me and my interests and the general standard of living in the Sydney area is quite high as well. As mentioned with Melbourne, the city is quite diverse and from a culinary point of view, would give me much to look forward to since practically every type of ethnic eat that I like (save for Mexican) is available in large numbers in Sydney.

Miami: (have lived here before)
I didn't get the chance to experience Miami for long. I only had the opportunity to live there for 8 months and I lived in the actual city itself (Brickell). I like Miami even though in a lot of ways plenty of other cities in the United States and world are better for me with regards to my industry. That being said, there is no shortage or lack of employment opportunities for me in my industry in Miami either, it just isn't as concentrated or saturated as it is in other cities elsewhere. I really like the weather and climate in Miami, not the same but not far off from the climate in Southeast Asia, where I am from. I genuinely like hot/heat/warmth and actively enjoy environments that are conducive to year-round living on the warm side. The location is excellent as well, plenty of recreational areas in the surrounding environs and the Atlantic Ocean as well. I'm not a 100% match for Miami's nightlife but I've still been able to easily find my type of scene there without any hassles. The standard of living needs some work, the region has too much poverty, crime, and social tension between several of the immigrant communities that exist there, and generally I am not a fan of these aspects but with this one city I give it a pass. The benefits outweigh the negatives, well, at least for me because I know which areas in Miami to live in to avoid the issues.

Other top cities:
- Barcelona: Been here
- Seoul: I have not been to
- Vancouver: Been here
- New York: Been here
- Tokyo: I have not been to
- London: I go to school here and live here
- Hong Kong: Been here

Bottom 3:

Pyongyang: (Never visited)
It isn't legal for me to visit this city either way, so I wont ever get to see it even if I wanted to see it. Even if it was legal to visit the city, I wouldn't ever go to it in the first place. North Korea is an oppressive and isolated society in relation to the rest of the planet. Not only is there third world living conditions, excessive poverty, and oppression by dictatorship but there is famine, inadequate infrastructure, inconsistent power sources (lots of outages), disease, and several other undesirable aspects that make this city into a certifiably hellholish place to spend ones life. I suppose I consider myself fortunate, I, like almost anyone else on Earth could've been born in North Korea, but fortunately I wasn't.

Demascus: (Never visited)
This city is literally being pulled apart by violence and warfare. Syria's capital has eroded to becoming nothing more than a hellhole at this point and that is sad to see. Centuries ago, Demascus was the most important administrative hub in the Middle-East, and today it is nothing more than a warzone that Assad and to a lessor extent Putin have paved the path for it to crumble and fall. There appears to be far too much dysfunction and disarray in this city, even by third world standards, this city is probably the third world of the third world.

Philadelphia: (Been here)
Nothing bad has ever happened to me here and I've been able to get along with people there when I was there and interacted with locals. However, while I don't hate the city, I don't love it either. I don't connect much with the city or its vibe and I don't like how the city physically looks or feels, personally speaking, among a few other things that I am not a fan of when it comes to this city. Overall, again, nothing bad has ever happened to me here but I would never live in Philadelphia. I don't like the city. Don't hate it, but don't like it either.

Other bottom 10s:
- Saint Louis: Been here
- Beijing: Have not been here
- Lagos: Have not been here
- Cairo: Been here
- Calcutta: Been here
- Karachi: Have not been here
- Dhaka: Have not been here

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 07-18-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 06:52 PM

2,615 posts, read 625,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
It's entertaining to see a bunch of people rating cities they have never been to.
lol. my first thought as well. these are ratings of media perceptions for the most part

Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 PM

2,615 posts, read 625,342 times
Quote:

Japan doesn't add up to much ? Japan and Tokyo blows away your beloved nyc in being a creative and exciting city, non existent crime and very futuristic mass transit, some of the best restaurants and fun and creative nightlife in the world in tokyo, everything from hostess bars and geisha clubs and amazing nightlife you dont see in the politically correct west ,amazing world class sushi and tokyo is always at the top of cities for food lovers, every creative restaurant and club you can imagine, state of the art bullet trains and clean mass transit, much more futuristic than anything in the states.amazing airport and fantastic mass transit from the minute you fly into there

Japan, Australia, New zealand, and Canada are gorgeous, very clean cities and beautiful settings unlike nyc, very low crime and fantastic gardening and vegetation and outdoors especially in australia japan and new zealand, and canada is a gorgeous country. Amazing weather and beaches in australia and new zealand is full of gorgeous landscapes just outside and even inside of the cities , toronto and vancouver are like clean, low crime, and efficient versions of nyc and are amazing cities

What is so great about nyc? outdated and poor mass transit like the old trains and train lines and dreadful bus system and bridges that look like they are about to collapse, airports and the all around infrastructure , horrible crowds and weather ( very cold in winter and hot and humid in summer) in manhattan and nyc, will be close to 100f/37c and humid in this congested and overcrowded city this weekend. Architecture in manhattan is basically tons of hong kong style skyscrapers and ugly modernist architecture with a lot of race problems in the boroughs and manhattan as well and tons of gentrification and an enormous racial and class divide and ethnic divides , nyc is a living testament to the failures of multiculturalism

very cold water beaches, alot of polluted and overcrowded beaches in nyc and northern new jersey and not much in terms of natural scenery that is reachable without quite a long drive through traffic or poor mass transit. infrastructure like mass transit and bridges is old and outdated, homeless numbers that make it seem third world and tons of panhandlers. laguardia is one of the worst airports in the country, its depressing even flying into

whats so fun about nyc unless you are obscenely rich? you say las vegas is one of your worst cities in the world but the strip is alot more fun than any place in nyc

Sydney and brisbane have perfect weather with gorgeous beaches and Sydney has an amazing urban culture

Alot of the perception about so called "world class cities" is about where the media is based. nyc is like cleveland with money,industrial and very old infrastructure and union dominated,could be another rust belt city if it ever loses the financial and media power. very overrated city

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-19-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World