U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 PM

249 posts, read 293,767 times

Advertisements

Based on places I've spend considerable time in......

Best 10

Vienna - Historically beautiful. I wish I could live there and take advantage of all the museums, theaters and things to do
Amsterdam - Fun relaxing city but the summer is really crowded and the staff at times aren't very friendly.
Coeur D'Arlene - Beautiful scenery, amazing lake and mountain views and some good bars/restaurants. Nice downtown
Missoula - great mix of nature and quaint downtown. Small but really nice.
Hong Kong - The best city in Asia IMO. Very vibrant, and if you know your way around its awesome. Great nightlife
Killarney - fun little town in Ireland but lots of tourists in the summer.
San Diego - Heaven. Great place to live
Minneapolis - Super clean and a really nice downtown with theaters, bars, restaurants and safe. Surprisingly great
NYC - Great food and culture. Melting pot of people and makes for a unique environment. Expensive though
Shanghai - Beautiful city with an amazing skyline. Traffic and locals can be challenging, and they don't speak English

Bottom 5

Delhi - Dirty and disgusting
Beijing - Great food, but the air is so bad, traffic is brutal and the people are difficult
Hangzhou - Can't stand the city and it's people.
Belfast - Very gloomy and not much going on. At the pubs, lots of heavy political discussions, mostly super liberal or anti-institution which was off putting. City just seemed depressing. Most people were very nice though

If you have time, visit the state of Idaho. It's really an underrated place. Beautiful and still very natural, unlike Colorado which is overrun by people from California who have changed the state, and it's become overdeveloped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:24 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,260,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Only looking at first world, and only looking at cities I've visited:

7. Essen/Dortmund/Duisburg (the whole Ruhrgebiet)
I must agree with you. In fact the cities of Ruhr are unusually ugly for german standards.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 AM
BMI

3,984 posts, read 2,125,732 times
Quote:
Only looking at first world, and only looking at cities I've visited:

Most Favorite-

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Paris
4. Rome
5. Florence
6. Venice
7. Bruges
8. Amsterdam
9. Madrid
10. Vienna

Least Favorite-

1. Atlanta
2. Charlotte
3. Phoenix
4. Las Vegas
5. Kansas City
6. Frankfurt
7. Essen/Dortmund/Duisburg (the whole Ruhrgebiet)
8. Leipzig
9. Liverpool
10. Rotterdam
You called my list weird and random....thanks.

It's my list...my top 10 cities and bottom 10....not yours.

Speaking of weird and random....I think "Bruges" in your top 10 list is a "weird random choice",
population of only 118,000 small city in Belgium, nothing to get excited about.

I'll take Las Cruces and Albuquerque over Bruges any day.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:44 PM

7,933 posts, read 4,547,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
You called my list weird and random....thanks.
You're absolutely welcome. Happy to correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Speaking of weird and random....I think "Bruges" in your top 10 list is a "weird random choice",
population of only 118,000 small city in Belgium, nothing to get excited about.

I'll take Las Cruces and Albuquerque over Bruges any day.
Bruges is one of the most iconic cities on earth. Las Cruces and Albuquerque are dusty, anonymous, SW U.S. cities of no historical or visitor note. It's like comparing Venice to Saskatoon.

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-24-2016 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Bickering

Old 07-23-2016, 04:31 PM
BMI

3,984 posts, read 2,125,732 times
Quote:
You're absolutely welcome. Happy to correct.

Then you're crazy. Bruges is one of the most iconic cities on earth. Las Cruces and Albuquerque are dusty, anonymous, SW U.S. cities of no historical or visitor note. It's like comparing Venice to Saskatoon.
I've barely heard of Bruges

Here are some Las Cruces pics....beautiful ...with the awesome Organ Mtns in the background.
Much nicer weather than Bruges...Bruges is cool damp all year, no real summer, dull winter.

Your top 10 and bottom 10 cities in the world?-lascrucesnm2.jpg

Your top 10 and bottom 10 cities in the world?-lascrucesnm.jpg

Your top 10 and bottom 10 cities in the world?-lascrucespalms8.jpg
but you think so great....whatever floats your boat.

I'm sticking with my dusty LC and ABQ...

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-24-2016 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Bickering

Old 07-23-2016, 04:36 PM

51 posts, read 18,739 times
Right picking some dusty american wasteland like albuquerque ridden with gangs and racism and shopping malls over Brugge! (A world site heritage with amazing architecture, art, canals)

Let's pick Winnipeg over Paris while we're at it!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Best post on here, in terms of cuisine and beautiful women and gorgeous beaches , diving, hiking, amazing animals and vegetation, great nightlife and sailing, it is never the west at the top of my list , southeast asia, latin america, the caribbean and africa , places like thailand, philippines,vietnam , costa rica, kenya and parts of africa , colombia,etc are usually where I want to go

Even singapore is a third world country/city that became first world and amazing culture and clean and futuristic mass transit. As a bachelor I never want to go visit western cities unless its a museum ,history, architecture sort of trip, way overpriced and not as much fun.

Usually the most exciting cities and gorgeous beaches,diving,sailing and beautiful women and great food are very rarely in the west. tons of feminists and overpriced cities and hotels in the west and not as much natural beauty
I agree

some of the best places on the planet are far from North America and Europe!

Look at the list

the mere fact people pick mexico city as a worst (a gigantic megalopolis with some of the most striking contrasts, unbelievable culture, amazing cuisine, modern skyscrapers next to thousand year ruins, unbelievable energy, 24/7 non stop life, too many museums to count, endless amounts of things to do at any time of the day any day of the week etc.) over a plastic suburban north American hole in the ground like Toronto (A city that lists going to watch hockey as one of the top things to do because there is hardly anything else to do once you spent a few days there) is beyond me!

It just shows most people have never been to any of these places, they just rather imagine how it must be!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:52 PM

FAVORITE:
Brussels : Underrated

Budapest: Far more fun beyond the cliche stuff tourists do

Seoul: A city that truly never stops

Hong Kong : The fastest city on the planet, NYC is a sleepy village next to it!

Mexico City : Underrated, this is one of the world's most amazing megalopolises!

Buenos Aires: Tango, great food, hot people, cheap, eccentric!

Medellin: Pablo escobar's town is one of the most colorful fun places you can ever visit!

LEAST FAVORITE:
Los angeles: fake people, culture revolves around movie stars, no public transportation

Paris: dirty, full of tourists, you can't enjoy because there are hordes upon hordes of tourists wherever you go so you just end up avoiding the crowds, this city is particularly tired!

London: Should appear next to the word overrated on all dictionaries (meh people, expensive, aggressive drunks, full of itself, for a city its size is shamefully boring)

Berlin: Hipsters love to tell you to go there because it is just so cool! (a reason for anyone with some taste and class to not even go there!)

Venice: Expensive, cliche, tourist traps a galore, disney like and then you can't even breath because of all the tourists.

Barcelona: meeeeeeh

Just about any big suburban north American city (houston, toronto, calgary, atlanta, chicago, miami) if you like highways, no people walking, suburbias everywhere, big box stores and big everything with no soul then you're in heaven!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,051,578 times
*The only cities that I listed are cities I've been too, aside from one. I think that for a lot of cities(not all) it's hard to judge it when having never traveled there.
1. Washington DC
2. New Orleans
3. New York City
4. Vancouver
5. Cape Town
6. London
7. Copenhagen
8. Sydney
9. Paris
10. Venice

Bottom 10:
1. Houston
2. Tuscon
3. Brussels
4. Johannesburg
5. Dubai (haven't been but I just know I would hate it)
6. Cologne
7. Milan
8. Baltimore
9. Can't really name any other cities that I think would make this list

Old 07-23-2016, 05:42 PM

1,900 posts, read 1,051,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumn_leaves View Post
FAVORITE:
Brussels : Underrated

Budapest: Far more fun beyond the cliche stuff tourists do

Seoul: A city that truly never stops

Hong Kong : The fastest city on the planet, NYC is a sleepy village next to it!

Mexico City : Underrated, this is one of the world's most amazing megalopolises!

Buenos Aires: Tango, great food, hot people, cheap, eccentric!

Medellin: Pablo escobar's town is one of the most colorful fun places you can ever visit!

LEAST FAVORITE:
Los angeles: fake people, culture revolves around movie stars, no public transportation

Paris: dirty, full of tourists, you can't enjoy because there are hordes upon hordes of tourists wherever you go so you just end up avoiding the crowds, this city is particularly tired!

London: Should appear next to the word overrated on all dictionaries (meh people, expensive, aggressive drunks, full of itself, for a city its size is shamefully boring)

Berlin: Hipsters love to tell you to go there because it is just so cool! (a reason for anyone with some taste and class to not even go there!)

Venice: Expensive, cliche, tourist traps a galore, disney like and then you can't even breath because of all the tourists.

Barcelona: meeeeeeh

Just about any big suburban north American city (houston, toronto, calgary, atlanta, chicago, miami) if you like highways, no people walking, suburbias everywhere, big box stores and big everything with no soul then you're in heaven!
What on earth are you talking about.
1. Fake people? What an overplayed stereotype. The people in LA are just as "fake" as any major city in the world. I've meet some of the nicest, least judgemental people in LA.
2. The culture doesn't revolve around movie stars. People could care less about them here. Wana know who does care about Movie stars though? The thousands of annoying European and middle America tourists who make it their mission to see some while they are vacationing here.
3. Hmmmm LA doesn't have public transportation? Last weekend I took the metro from Downtown LA to the beach. I also took the Metro from Santa Monica to the race tracks (about 30 miles away). The Metro in LA is not on par with NYC, Toronto, or London sure...but it's improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World