Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 PM

733 posts, read 602,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
lol. my first thought as well. these are ratings of media perceptions for the most part
Nobody has been to Pyongyang but it always makes the list for bottom 10. Few have been to Beijing but thanks to its bad reputation, it also makes the bottom 10 list. I had lived in Beijing for a few years when I was young, I don't really like it because Beijing has its own unique vibe. It's a dirty third world city, yet it offers something you can't find in Portland.

Tokyo is consistently in the top 10 list while other Japanese cities are ignored. If you have traveled around Japan a bit, the chances are you will probably like Kyoto or even Sapporo better.

Personally I don't rate cities I have never been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:35 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Why not Liverpool? Seems a lovely place and so do several others on your list. Liverpool has shaked off its past industrial feeling or so i have heard and if i were to go to Britain i would give it a chance
This could honestly go for most of england but...

- Arguably the worst cuisine in the world
- Lack of scenery
- Industrial
- Cold/rainy, even in the summer it still seems kinda cool for my tastes
- British girls aren't really good looking
- Expensive

Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Japan doesn't add up to much ?
No. We are talking population size, but then you rant on forever about things that have nothing to do with population size.

There are nearly 1.1 billion people in the U.S. and Europe and only 125 million in Japan, so it would be completely illogical to have places with vastly greater populations to have far fewer top tier cities.
Quote:
Japan and Tokyo blows away your beloved nyc in being a creative and exciting city, non existent crime and very futuristic mass transit, some of the best restaurants and fun and creative nightlife in the world in tokyo, everything from hostess bars and geisha clubs and amazing
Also, this statement alone shows you have never been to Tokyo and have some silly agenda outside of your lack of reading comprehension.

Tokyo has the oldest metro system in Asia, and the transit system is the complete opposite of "very futuristic". It's a very functional, spartan system that is amazingly efficient and not futuristic in the least.

The rest of your incredibly long and nonsensical post is just irrelevant ranting.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Nobody has been to Pyongyang but it always makes the list for bottom 10. Few have been to Beijing but thanks to its bad reputation, it also makes the bottom 10 list. I had lived in Beijing for a few years when I was young, I don't really like it because Beijing has its own unique vibe. It's a dirty third world city, yet it offers something you can't find in Portland.

Tokyo is consistently in the top 10 list while other Japanese cities are ignored. If you have traveled around Japan a bit, the chances are you will probably like Kyoto or even Sapporo better.

Personally I don't rate cities I have never been to.

good post I have heard that about kyoto, it was the capital of Japan for around a thousand years and so much of the fascinating japanese culture came from there

[quote=Warszawa;44821322]This could honestly go for most of england but...

- Lack of scenery
- Industrial
- Expensive[
/QUOTE]

I dont agree with that warszawa, england has some of the highest rated restaurants in the world and england has some gorgeous places and an amazing history. I loved my liverpool visit to all the beatles and mersey side haunts but isnt alot of these so called "world class cities" about the disturbing concentration of wealth and billionaires in fewer and fewer cities like london and nyc while so many other cities that actually produce things decline in these nations ?

Couldn't the statements I bolded be true for nyc and dc too if it didnt have a lot of concentration of wealth and power in Manhattan and DC? Even the part about unattractive girls could easily be true in dc and new york even now, nyc and dc are not very attractive but alot of models move to nyc for money, would the the cuisine be decent in dc and nyc if it wasnt for the concentration of wealth?

A former strong port town like nyc has declined enormously but stuff like finance and media which could done anywhere flourish? DC has some of the richest suburbs off government money, why do these cities flourish why so many others decline, its strange why some cities get richer and richer why so many cities decline?

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-19-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
[quote=floridanative10;44821546]good post I have heard that about kyoto, it was the capital of Japan for around a thousand years and so much of the fascinating japanese culture came from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

- Lack of scenery
- Industrial
- Expensive[
/QUOTE]

I dont agree with that warszawa, england has some of the highest rated restaurants in the world and england has some gorgeous places and an amazing history. I loved my liverpool visit to all the beatles and mersey side haunts but isnt alot of these so called "world class cities" about the disturbing concentration of wealth and billionaires in fewer and fewer cities like london and nyc while the rest of nyc and london have much more interesting and exciting pasts?

Couldn't the statements I bolded be true for nyc and dc too if it didnt have a lot of concentration of wealth and power in Manhattan and DC? Even the part about unattractive girls could easily be true in dc and new york even now, nyc and dc are not very attractive but alot of models move to nyc for money, would the the cuisine be decent in dc and nyc if it wasnt for the concentration of wealth?

A former strong port town like nyc has declined enormously but stuff like finance and media which could done anywhere flourish? DC has some of the richest suburbs off government money, why do these cities flourish why so many others decline, its strange why some cities get richer and richer why so many cities decline?
Honestly, I don't think you've written a sentence in this thread that is remotely accurate. It's basically 100% opposite land.

According to Florida-native, NYC is known for industrial jobs (though has, by far, the lowest share of such jobs of any metro in the U.S.), its cold summers (though summers are notably hot and humid), lack of scenery (though has highest elevations along the east coast), ugly women (though modeling/fashion capitol of the planet), and bad food (though arguably dining capitol of the planet).

I'm sure it's actually Youngstown, Ohio that is the fashion capitol, Walla Walla, Washington is the dining capitol, and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan is the financial capitol. And Florida is known for its alpine scenery while Switzerland is renowned for its Carribean beaches.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan don't amount to much. Really only Japan is heavily populated and Japanese cities are pretty much all ugly. I haven't been to Australia or New Zealand and Canadian cities tend to be meh, not gorgeous/interesting and not hideous/boring.
Quote:
No. We are talking population size, but then you rant on forever about things that have nothing to do with population size.

There are nearly 1.1 billion people in the U.S. and Europe and only 125 million in Japan, so it would be completely illogical to have places with vastly greater populations to have far fewer top tier cities.

Also, this statement alone shows you have never been to Tokyo and have some silly agenda outside of your lack of reading comprehension.

Tokyo has the oldest metro system in Asia, and the transit system is the complete opposite of "very futuristic". It's a very functional, spartan system that is amazingly efficient and not futuristic in the least.

The rest of your incredibly long and nonsensical post is just irrelevant ranting.
You really are such a dishonest poster and basically a pathetic nyc homer. What part of my post is ranting and incorrect. you really think the amazingly disciplined and efficient tokyo mass transit is spartan and Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan don't amount to much?

what part of my previous post isnt true?

" Japan doesn't add up to much ? Japan and Tokyo blows away your beloved nyc in being a creative and exciting city, non existent crime and very futuristic mass transit, some of the best restaurants and fun and creative nightlife in the world in tokyo, everything from hostess bars and geisha clubs and amazing nightlife you dont see in the politically correct west ,amazing world class sushi and tokyo is always at the top of cities for food lovers, every creative restaurant and club you can imagine, state of the art bullet trains and clean mass transit, much more futuristic than anything in the states.amazing airport and fantastic mass transit from the minute you fly into there

Japan, Australia, New zealand, and Canada are gorgeous, very clean cities and beautiful settings unlike nyc, very low crime and fantastic gardening and vegetation and outdoors especially in australia japan and new zealand, and canada is a gorgeous country. Amazing weather and beaches in australia and new zealand is full of gorgeous landscapes just outside and even inside of the cities , toronto and vancouver are like clean, low crime, and efficient versions of nyc and are amazing cities

What is so great about nyc? outdated and poor mass transit like the old trains and train lines and dreadful bus system and bridges that look like they are about to collapse, airports and the all around infrastructure , horrible crowds and weather ( very cold in winter and hot and humid in summer) in manhattan and nyc, will be close to 100f/37c and humid in this congested and overcrowded city this weekend. Architecture in manhattan is basically tons of hong kong style skyscrapers and ugly modernist architecture with a lot of race problems in the boroughs and manhattan as well and tons of gentrification and an enormous racial and class divide and ethnic divides , nyc is a living testament to the failures of multiculturalism

very cold water beaches, alot of polluted and overcrowded beaches in nyc and northern new jersey and not much in terms of natural scenery that is reachable without quite a long drive through traffic or poor mass transit. infrastructure like mass transit and bridges is old and outdated, homeless numbers that make it seem third world and tons of panhandlers. laguardia is one of the worst airports in the country, its depressing even flying into

whats so fun about nyc unless you are obscenely rich? you say las vegas is one of your worst cities in the world but the strip is alot more fun than any place in nyc

Sydney and brisbane have perfect weather with gorgeous beaches and Sydney has an amazing urban culture

Alot of the perception about so called "world class cities" is about where the media is based. nyc is like cleveland with money,industrial past and very old infrastructure and union dominated,could be another rust belt city if it ever loses the financial and media power"

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-19-2016 at 09:33 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 05:34 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
well I've only stopped a couple of times in Turin on my way to the big French ski resorts (less traffic in Italy compared to France in February), and I've always found this region kinda depressing. Maybe I have only seen the bad side if Turin during the winter. The comparison with Paris is a little bit ridiculous imo.
For how long? And what did you see in Turin? Anyway, the areas doesn't give its best in winter but it's far from being a depressing area. Milan and surroundings are far more depressing landscape wise. The city is architecturally similar to Paris in points, that's where there's a comparison. Haussman et al have influenced the Savoy to pursue a grid system throughout the city and the city center is dotted with similar buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

- Lack of scenery
- Industrial
- Expensive
-The presence of decent cuisine from other parts of the world more than makes up for it. British cuisine itself is nothing to write home about surely not the worst
-You may have a point here
-Post Industrial as the city is trying to renew itself
-WEather is subjective but i would take Liverpool's over most climates. Love those kind of summers, brilliant to go out and about
-On the whole, you are right

That said, if there was a British city i would have chosen, Liverpool wouldn't have been the one. Probably, would have chosen Birmingham or Sheffield. Maybe you have been only to Liverpool

Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
For how long? And what did you see in Turin? Anyway, the areas doesn't give its best in winter but it's far from being a depressing area. Milan and surroundings are far more depressing landscape wise. The city is architecturally similar to Paris in points, that's where there's a comparison. Haussman et al have influenced the Savoy to pursue a grid system throughout the city and the city center is dotted with similar buildings

-The presence of decent cuisine from other parts of the world more than makes up for it. British cuisine itself is nothing to write home about surely not the worst
-You may have a point here
-Post Industrial as the city is trying to renew itself
-WEather is subjective but i would take Liverpool's over most climates. Love those kind of summers, brilliant to go out and about
-On the whole, you are right

That said, if there was a British city i would have chosen, Liverpool wouldn't have been the one. Probably, would have chosen Birmingham or Sheffield. Maybe you have been only to Liverpool
I just chose Liverpool because I'm a Manchester United fan lol, but I think it can apply to most of central England from what I've heard. I've never been to actual England itself, just Belfast, and tbh it could apply to Belfast too. Thankfully Dublin and southern Ireland was pretty cool, Ireland seems much more pleasant and relaxed than Britain

Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Quote:
Why is it weird? 90% of the developed world is the U.S. and Europe. It would be weird if a Top 10 list weren't dominated by the U.S. and Europe.
Many of the most interesting cities of the world are not in the develop world.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Many of the most interesting cities of the world are not in the develop world.
Best post on here, in terms of cuisine and beautiful women and gorgeous beaches , diving, hiking, amazing animals and vegetation, great nightlife and sailing, it is never the west at the top of my list , southeast asia, latin america, the caribbean and africa , places like thailand, philippines,vietnam , costa rica, kenya and parts of africa , colombia,etc are usually where I want to go

Even singapore is a third world country/city that became first world and amazing culture and clean and futuristic mass transit. As a bachelor I never want to go visit western cities unless its a museum ,history, architecture sort of trip, way overpriced and not as much fun.

Usually the most exciting cities and gorgeous beaches,diving,sailing and beautiful women and great food are very rarely in the west. tons of feminists and overpriced cities and hotels in the west and not as much natural beauty

Last edited by floridanative10; 07-20-2016 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World