Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 4 cities have the best natural scenery?
Honolulu 12 18.46%
Vancouver 23 35.38%
Rio de Janeiro 23 35.38%
Cape Town 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:55 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Vancouver because it has the total package.

Ocean, islands, mountains, forests, archipelagos, rain shadows, so on and so forth.

It also has something in the sky during winter that none of these other cities could ever have:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...ora%20Borealis

That being said, there are no losers here. All 4 of these cities are extraordinarily beautiful and all of them in their own ways.

Vancouver just has that oomph factor and the total package to work with. So I give it the edge here between these 4 cities. Again, no losers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 03:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Ocean, islands, mountains, forests, archipelagos, rain shadows, so on and so forth.

It also has something in the sky during winter that none of these other cities could ever have:

That being said, there are no losers here. All 4 of these cities are extraordinarily beautiful and all of them in their own ways.

Vancouver just has that oomph factor and the total package to work with. So I give it the edge here between these 4 cities. Again, no losers here.
The Aurora Borealis is rarely seen from Vancouver. In my whole life of living here, I've never seen it, even when it was apparently visible. I believe you have to leave the city and head north where the light pollution is less. Even then, having it occur this far south is still rare.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM

I've only been to Vancouver ( of course ) and Honolulu. For natural scenery ONLY it's really a tough call. I'm giving it to Vancouver though. One of the reasons is the natural scenery changes during the year. It's more apparent.

Looking towards the mountains when covered with snow, is very different from other times of the year, when the mountains can appear to be very green, very blue and even purple.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Aurora Borealis is rarely seen from Vancouver. In my whole life of living here, I've never seen it, even when it was apparently visible. I believe you have to leave the city and head north where the light pollution is less. Even then, having it occur this far south is still rare.
Proper Aurora Borealis is only found far north, like Tromsø, Norway. I have never seen it in Oslo.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I wonder why Capetown ranked last here, as it is considered the most scenic city in South Africa and maybe the whole of Africa ?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
I can only say that people who voted for Vancouver (a city I love) have never been to Rio. Incomparable scenery, beach and mountain, absolutely unique.

In Vancouver the mountains are a bit far and not up front and central.

We are only talking about natural scenery. Unfortunately the city of Rio itself apart from natural scenery is often squalid or disappointing.

I would also add Hong Kong to the list.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Proper Aurora Borealis is only found far north, like Tromsø, Norway. I have never seen it in Oslo.
More intense, yes. You do have to go further north. This photo shows the very rare appearance in Vancouver.
Like I said, though, I've never seen it.

My partner grew up in Northern Ontario and it was a common site there.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Cape Town is stunning, even though I've only seen photos and video clips.

Vancouver is stunning as well, and has a terrific view for anyone flying in.

Rio is colourful and picturesque, although to be honest, I think I like the urban liveliness more than the natural beauty...

Honolulu is spoiled by overdevelopment along the beachfront, IMO... all those bland hotels. Blehh.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:46 AM

51 posts, read 50,955 times
I voted for Rio because of the bay and the islands around it and the mountains on the beach.

Cape town is a close second.

Honolulu is meeh.... and Vancouver is ok but nothing out of this world.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 AM

51 posts, read 50,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Why do people overrate Canada so much?

Canada is ok, but it's not the whole package, nor it's a place I can see myself living in.

It's just like america with huge suburban sprawl type cities, culture often revolves around the topping mall and no you can't see aurora borealis from Vancouver!

(the weather is terrible in vancouver, the city is expensive and classist and very chinese which defeats the multicultural aims of the city and on top of that it cannot be compared to Rio or Capetown in terms of culture because it's a typical north american town whose claim to fame is a large number of condos and shopping malls on a beachfront withth a natural setting in the background.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World