Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times

Advertisements

Russian culture is more like New England in culture more reserved and Ireland is more like the US South they tend to be more outgoing. Russians tend to keep to themselves but I have no idea about Russian Americans they could be Americanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM

207 posts, read 497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Usually Russians try to give some acknowledgement to those who try to speak their language. However it sounds like these particular people were just plain rude. But then, again, you don't expect ALL Russians to be nice, do you?
I for one don't, so I stay in touch with some and avoid like plague the others.
So take this incident as an *accumulated experience,* lol))))
Thank you for clearing things up Erasure!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
Thank you for clearing things up Erasure!
You are welcome ( oh that never-ending love of yours for Russia and Russians...)

Old 08-19-2016, 12:48 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I worked in Moscow for about 7-8 months so I'll give my opinion. There is a lot of distrust of Americans in Moscow but if you can bridge that distrust, Russians can be very friendly. I was married so I wasn't engaged with women other than at work. I had no problems working with Russians including females who were very friendly to Americans.

I will say Russians do not engage as much in idle chat with people they don't know as Americans are more likely to do...of course language barrier was a huge factor for me but in general, Russians are distrustful upon meeting someone perhaps going back to KGB days.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Russian females are very friendly to me. Russian males are very macho. From what I've heard, Russian males are a real pain to deal with. How do I know? The wives told me.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Why do Americans start conversations with strangers? I don't quite understand it.

I'm not criticising. I'm just curious.
lol Well, when you put it that way, it does sound strange.

Back home, one chats with strangers in the cashier line or while waiting in line at the post office simply in order to pass the time in a pleasant way. One may end up sharing a laugh with someone, which helps brighten an otherwise tedious moment. In some areas, it's common to greet people as you pass on the sidewalk. This creates a nice, neighborly atmosphere. Exchanging pleasantries or even just a cheery "hello" with another human has psychological benefits, too, I imagine; it helps us all feel connected.

When travelling? I don't know; I don't usually talk to strangers when travelling, unless I'm stuck at a train station for a long time and am bored, but it's nice when someone does strike up a conversation. I got approached by elderly people in Germany a few times, back when the WWII generation was still alive. They wanted to express their gratitude for what the US did for the war effort. It meant a lot to them. Russians are friendly and outgoing on trains, especially if you're sharing a compartment with them. They bring out all their snacks and insist on sharing, and it turns into a little party. This happened to my niece last year, who took the train from Moscow to Lake Baikal, and she doesn't even speak Russian! She had a great time!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Russian females are very friendly to me. Russian males are very macho. From what I've heard, Russian males are a real pain to deal with. How do I know? The wives told me.
Nonsense. There are all kinds of men and all kinds of women in Russia, like anyplace else. I've observed quite a few men who are very devoted to their wives, and are very supportive and helpful to them in their (the wives') careers. It all depends on the individual personalities involved.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nonsense. There are all kinds of men and all kinds of women in Russia, like anyplace else. I've observed quite a few men who are very devoted to their wives, and are very supportive and helpful to them in their (the wives') careers. It all depends on the individual personalities involved.
Ruth...Russia is probably the most complex and controversial culture of all European cultures.
When you deal with the class of Russian "intelligentsia" ( and particularly in big cities) - you feel that you are in a culture that's firmly planted in Europe, through and through. However the lower you go down the ladder, the more the picture gradually changes, and often when you get to rural areas, you get the feeling sometimes that you deal with some kind of "indigenous people," that know how to practice paganism and use all kind of herbal medicine. (This particular combination makes Russians a very difficult enemy to deal with during wars by the way; you have the upper commandment that's based on vast European academic studies ( military studies including) and at the same time their subordinates out in the battle fields, who know how to survive in the vast forests.
And so of course keeping this in mind, the relations between men and women vary greatly, depending on family's background and the beliefs that are passed from generation to generation.
So as much as your experience ( and observations of Russians you've met) are true, someone else's observations that Russian men are macho is as much true as well. It all depends what part of the society you are in, what kind of Russians you come across. Sometimes you might feel that you deal with people from two different countries all together - that's how much the impressions might vary, lol)))

Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
They're only nice to Americans/Brits etc. Other than that they're just another Turkey/UK - invading other countries and "getting" what they can (I'm trying to be nice here .
This comment makes no sense. The US is the biggest invader on the planet.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol Well, when you put it that way, it does sound strange.

Back home, one chats with strangers in the cashier line or while waiting in line at the post office simply in order to pass the time in a pleasant way. One may end up sharing a laugh with someone, which helps brighten an otherwise tedious moment. In some areas, it's common to greet people as you pass on the sidewalk. This creates a nice, neighborly atmosphere. Exchanging pleasantries or even just a cheery "hello" with another human has psychological benefits, too, I imagine; it helps us all feel connected. When travelling? I don't know; I don't usually talk to strangers when travelling, unless I'm stuck at a train station for a long time and am bored, but it's nice when someone does strike up a conversation. I got approached by elderly people in Germany a few times, back when the WWII generation was still alive. They wanted to express their gratitude for what the US did for the war effort. It meant a lot to them. Russians are friendly and outgoing on trains, especially if you're sharing a compartment with them. They bring out all their snacks and insist on sharing, and it turns into a little party. This happened to my niece last year, who took the train from Moscow to Lake Baikal, and she doesn't even speak Russian! She had a great time!
I do that quite often when in the US too - chatting to strangers and "exchanging pleasantries" - I totally get the whole gist of it. However I am well-aware that in the US these pleasantries are of very *superficial character*; they are exactly just that - "pleasantries," and I think originally they are rooted in British culture of "talks about the weather," but just extended a bit.
On the other hand when Russians, (being total strangers as well) end up being stuck together in the train compartments, they are ready for the fact that they might forge the long-lasting relations, as in finding "useful contacts" or plainly people that they like and that they might want to visit in other cities/places down the line. So they are not good at "chatting about the weather" on a regular basis, but once they know that they'll be stuck with strangers for the next few days on a train, I think they are subconsciously ready for that - to get connected on a much deeper level if it happens to be, and hence all this "train culture" - shared food, stories and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World