Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:46 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Since there's so many north-south debates in the US forum, I might as well pose this question to ya'll.

I consider "The West" to be...

- the US and Canada
- The NATO members west of the old Iron Curtain
- Switzerland (neutral country)
- Australia and New Zealand

However I think a case might be made for Israel (founded by Europeans) and the Czech Republic (now a well-integrated and prosperous EU member). Wikipeida says some people consider Japan a Western country but I think their culture rules this out.

Do you consider Latin America to be Western given their location in the western hemisphere? News articles have referred to people lining for visas at "Western embassies" in Argentina and Peru. Australia is located further east than China and Japan but its undoubtedly part of the West. Israel is considered Western by some b/c of its European roots. In South America, Argentina also has mostly European roots. I've never heard of any Latin American country referred to as Western.

Is Mexico a Western country? Again they're our neighbors but their culture is very different as is the lifestyle down there. I also don't consider Russia, the former Soviet Union, the former Yugoslavia and most of the former Eastern Bloc states, including Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, and Romania to be Western countries and neither does the media. You always hear about "relations between Russia and the West" or "Western influence in Russia".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 PM

Also, I still stand by my definition above but is it outdated to think of the old Iron Curtain (though I would put united Germany in the West). In the US peopel still do the north-south split based on the Mason-Dixon Line, would it also be legitimate to separate the "West" based on the old Iron Curtain? I mean if you compare London, Paris, and Rome with Moscow, Kiev, and Chisinau you can easily see the difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
A 'Western Nation' has more to do with development than geography. By geographical definition, sure Mexico is western, but by developmental standards it is far from it.

Western Countries:
-USA
-Canada
-France
-Britain
-Spain
-Brazil
-Germany
-Czech Republic
-Switzerland
-Norway
-Low Countries
-Japan
-South Korea
-Australia
-New Zealand

Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
What happened to the other Scandinavian countries such as Iceland, Sweden, Denmark and Finland? We're western too.

Western countries, in my opinion (I haven't googled the definition, so I admit I don't know the specific details) are developed countries that share a similar standard of culture and science, etc. Western I believe is not just about geography, since Australia amongst others is also considered "western". It's about developement and a similar "culture" (in a broad sense, since our cultures differes greatly. But "western culture" is still different from "eastern", i.e. Russian culture etc.)

Now I'm off to google. Or I'll just ask my geography-teacher (yes, I can be lazy...)

Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM

I included Scandivania in my definition of the West since most of the countries there are in the old Western bloc during the Cold War.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:37 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
I consider the west to be those that are

1) European Countries
2) English as the primary language countries that were part of the english empire in North america or australia areas (aka not India)

Old 02-22-2008, 08:31 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
I would say it's pretty much anywhere settled/largely inhabited by people descended from European Christandom or being very close in culture. This includes:

- Most of Europe, with the exception of maybe Muslim Bosnia and Albania.

- The United States

- Canada

- Brazil

- Argentina

- Chile

- Uruguay

- Australia

- New Zealand

- Armenia. Yes, Armenia. I consider their culture to be essentially European as opposed to their Middle Eastern neighbors.

- I would also say that Japan and South Korea are part of "the West", based solely on lifestyle and attitudes of the people who live there.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Those countries are obviously western although Finland the least so. Scandinavia is Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The other countries mentioned are Nordic but not Scandinavian countries which you should anyway know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
What happened to the other Scandinavian countries such as Iceland, Sweden, Denmark and Finland? We're western too.

Last edited by internat; 02-22-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
I believe that is a misconception. There are Christian minorities living in the Middle East, which is a more heterogeneous region than you seem to imply. The term Middle East was popularised around 1900 in Britain. Besides, Tehran (capital of Iran) is a far more western looking (at least as compared to the western cities of the New World) city than Yerevan, capital of Armenia. It is also much more developed and modern. The religious regulations are mostly a public affair. Countries once considered part of the west can become eastern depending on political systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post

- Armenia. Yes, Armenia. I consider their culture to be essentially European as opposed to their Middle Eastern neighbors.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
You guys also need a history lesson.
Where is Greece and Italy on your lists? Thats where the west got started.
There is nothing more western than the Acropolis and its culture that exists til this day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World