Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 AM

140 posts, read 151,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
South America is mind-glowingly multicultural, most people don't realize it but when countries like Australia barely had any non-white person around, South America already had a large multicultural population.

Part of the belief that South America is monolithic comes from Hollywood often portraying South America as if it was Mexico and associating it with the stereotype of Mexico when in reality South America is pretty different.
Yes South America is very diverse. While Argentina or Uruguay are very European (based on huge european immigration) rest of the continent has much bigger African, Amerindian and even Asian population (mixed races and so on too).

Suriname for example is very multiracial country.

To image of Latin America being Mexico like is i suspect, because Mexicans are majority among Latinos in the US, people think they are representative to whole Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 05:22 AM

136 posts, read 129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
Yes South America is very diverse. While Argentina or Uruguay are very European (based on huge european immigration) rest of the continent has much bigger African, Amerindian and even Asian population (mixed races and so on too).

To image of Latin America being Mexico like is i suspect, because Mexicans are majority among Latinos in the US, people think they are representative to whole Latin America.
I know!!

In Colombia and Venezuela there are even towns where most people are muslims and there aren't even churches, there are mosques!!!

Yet you won't hear that!

People, mostly thanks to Hollywood picture it all like Mexico!

Old 08-27-2016, 09:58 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
South America is mind-glowingly multicultural, most people don't realize it but when countries like Australia barely had any non-white person around, South America already had a large multicultural population.

Part of the belief that South America is monolithic comes from Hollywood often portraying South America as if it was Mexico and associating it with the stereotype of Mexico when in reality South America is pretty different.
I used to think that South America was like 50% Spanish and 50% native American. I thought that Latin Americans were predominantly Mestizos and I always pictured them to look like George Lopez and Michelle Rodriguez.

Mind you, this had nothing to do with my perception of Mexicans, as we barely have Mexicans here in Australia. So I wasn't really too familiar with them. I merely based them on the Chilean and Peruvian people in my city (some were close friends) and they usually had a "Mestizo look".

It was only 10 years ago when I realized that South America had ethnic Italians, Portuguese (yep, didn't know that Brazil was Portuguese-speaking) and South Asian. And now recently, I learned that it also has Germans, Slavs, Arabs, Asians and many other diverse ethnic groups. It's amazing.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:26 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
A lot of what the English speaking world interprets as Japanese culture is chinese.

I lived in Japan when memoirs of a Geisha came out and many Japanese were very offended because the actors were notoriously Chinese, but also a lot of decorations, dances, customs didn't even look remotely like anything Japanese.
My my now Irene has lived in Japan before! A world citizen indeed.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Shes not a black male from Georgia, USA anymore?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol, I was thinking the same thing.

It was a matter of time before she came in with her South America diversity vs Mexico comments. Because diversity only exists in Colombia and South America.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 PM

136 posts, read 129,393 times
omg my fans are back (greysholic, urbanlouis, rosa surf)

these fellas CANNOT WAIT until I am back because as soon as they see me minding my own business they log back on to attack me and insult me and stalk me all over.

yes memoirs of a geisha is ridiculous and it doesn't portray japanese culture because it was full of chinese stuff... now go cry somewhere else

I AM THE ONE WHO WAS IN JAPAN WHEN THE MOVIE CAME OUT

Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I used to think that South America was like 50% Spanish and 50% native American. I thought that Latin Americans were predominantly Mestizos and I always pictured them to look like George Lopez and Michelle Rodriguez.

Mind you, this had nothing to do with my perception of Mexicans, as we barely have Mexicans here in Australia. So I wasn't really too familiar with them. I merely based them on the Chilean and Peruvian people in my city (some were close friends) and they usually had a "Mestizo look".

It was only 10 years ago when I realized that South America had ethnic Italians, Portuguese (yep, didn't know that Brazil was Portuguese-speaking) and South Asian. And now recently, I learned that it also has Germans, Slavs, Arabs, Asians and many other diverse ethnic groups. It's amazing.
Latin America in general is quite diverse, but Brazil takes the cake. You will not find a country there that is as diverse- Japanese, African, Polish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Lebanese. It's all there in substantial numbers.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADriver14 View Post
There is 1.6 million Japanese living in Brazil, the largest Japanese population outside Japan. The Japanese are so proud of their country and culture. Unlike the Chinese, Indian, Korean, they rarely immigrate to the other first world countries like USA, Canada, Australia etc.

Foreign students from Japan always go back to Japan after their graduation from universities and colleges in the other developed Western countries.

Most of the so-called "Japanese" restaurants in the U.S, Canada and Australia are actually run by the Chinese, and not the authentic Japanese restaurants. And we don't see vice versa, i.e the Chinese restaurants run by the Japanese.

So, why the people from the safest country in the world selected one of the most dangerous countries in the world to settle down? Why Brazil, and not U.S.A, Canada, Australia, Germany etc.?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians

Old 08-27-2016, 01:46 PM

881 posts, read 921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post

10% of Uruguay's population has African ancestry tho'. That's much more than countries like Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World