Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:59 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Are you kidding me, look at the satelite pics, California (18% forest cover) clearly has a lot more forest than Western Australia (2% forest cover), especially Northern California.
2% of WA is forests? Really? If you ever do get to Western Australia you might want to check out spots like this: Southern Forests - Tourism Western Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
2% of WA is forests? Really? If you ever do get to Western Australia you might want to check out spots like this: Southern Forests - Tourism Western Australia
I didn't make up the stats

Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Great cities: New York, London, Paris, Kyoto, Florence, Miami

Really good cities: Chicago, Lisbon, Berlin, Rome, Nara, Lyon

Old 10-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I didn't make up the stats
According to the Parkes and Wildlife Service of Western Australia about 7% of the state is officially forest and woodland. You can add to that large areas, particularly in the tropical north of the state, which are mixes of heavily treed areas and scrubland.

But California is tiny compared to WA; you can fit six Californias into WA and still have some space left over. https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...0Ad#.hdWGVejeA :-)

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 10-07-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
But California is tiny compared to WA; you can fit six Californias into WA and still have some space left over. https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...0Ad#.hdWGVejeA :-)
Perfect because i won't need to drive far to see forest.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Perfect because i won't need to drive far to see forest.
Yeh, but they'll be little California sized "forests" that people in West Aus would call a clump of trees....

Old 10-07-2016, 09:02 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me, look at the satelite pics, California (18% forest cover) clearly has a lot more forest than Western Australia (2% forest cover), especially Northern California.
Los Angeles is practically a desert with temps these days unless you are right in the coast. California's forest cover is ONLY the far northern part of the state, roughly a 10 hour drive from LA (not including notorious CA traffic) and probably four from SF (again not counting CA's notorious traffic). With traffic included, you're probably looking at 6 hours from SF and 12 from LA. Here in Arizona (Phoenix) I can get to a forest in two hours, and my state is well-known for being a desert wasteland despite 1/3 of my state having a protected pine tree forest. In Tucson, one hour.

Now I don't know what Western Australia is like but if you can reach a forest in less than six hours then it's the king here. California traffic has eliminated most of the pros that CA can offer, along with COL. For an example, back in the day, you could ski and surf in the same day if you lived in Los Angeles, that's no longer the case.

California's extensive drought (which is also worse than my neighboring desert state) is also ruining that percentage.

Literally any other state besides Nevada and Utah is a better state for forests than California.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:28 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Favorite Cities…
Chicago, Portland (OR not ME), Buenos Aires, and San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina.

I'm really intrigued by:
-Juneau...definitely because of its location and not any (manmade) sites or activities in the city which is the same reason I love San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina.
-Arequipa, Peru...same as Juneau.
-Queenstown, New Zealand...same as Juneau.
-Christchurch, New Zealand...same as Juneau.
-Santiago, Chile
-Marrakesh, Morocco
-Barcelona, Spain
-Lisbon, Portugal
-St. Petersburg, Russia
-Hong Kong
-Singapore

Old 10-08-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Literally any other state besides Nevada and Utah is a better state for forests than California.
I wasn't looking at California just for their forests but for their climate, coastline, liberal attitude and tons of Asian women. The forests are just a bonus like the famous Redwood and Yosemite parks, i hear everyone raving about.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
I wasn't looking at California just for their forests but for their climate, coastline, liberal attitude and tons of Asian women. The forests are just a bonus like the famous Redwood and Yosemite parks, i hear everyone raving about.
Isn't Australia significantly closer to Asia therefore sees a ton more Asian tourists? I've never been there I'm just taking a guess. It's probably a much easier flight to Bangkok or Hong Kong from there. Six hours for my flight in KL to Seoul probably makes what around 7 or 8 from anywhere in Australia to SE Asia? That beats the 12 hour minimum from San Francisco to Seoul which is what I did not too mention crossing the dateline will throw you off.

California is a pretty place but I do believe there are other places in the world that match your needs, especially since guns will never be banned in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World