Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:41 AM

37,232 posts, read 39,498,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You genuinely don't agree that the wage, the working environment, the politics, and the education are terrible? Ok let's apply a lower standard and say that the political scene isn't worse than in America (which probably is true given the state of affairs) and disregard the rote aspect and say that the education is less crazy than in China/HK/Korea and that it is at least easily accessible and is mostly free (or reasonably priced with regard to higher education), do you really consider the working department to be decent? I find that hard to believe. I think you are very well aware of the less-than-desirable situation in that area, and I'm definitely not exaggerating when I say that lots of talent are trying to leave or have already left.

I never said that. Backwater? Yes. Impoverished? No. I've never claimed Taiwan to be "poor" .... there's honestly far less poverty and homelessness here than pretty much everywhere else.

That doesn't change the fact that Taichung has terrible public transportation and traffic jam, and that both the central and the south have horrible pollution problem in comparison to Taipei.

Yes there are plenty of mountains but the accessibility is very low. Can you imagine anyone doing all those hiking trails without knowing Chinese or without a car? I can't. The public transportation to those spots is extremely limited, to say the least.
Again, I think your exaggerating things comparatively to other developed countries (or just the world in general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Again, I think your exaggerating things comparatively to other developed countries (or just the world in general).
I wish I was but I really am not.

Old 07-02-2021, 03:13 PM

37,232 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm going to arbitrarily limit this to 15 because otherwise the list is going to run long and meaningless

Berlin
Bueno Aires
Chicago
Hamburg
Kyoto
Madrid
Montreal
Paris
Shanghai
Sydney
Tangiers
Taipei
Tbilisi
Tokyo
Vienna

I've spent time in about half of these and am fascinated by the other half. I think the biggest surprise for me was Sydney--I really wasn't expecting to really be that into Australian cities and I figured of them I'd find Melbourne to be more interesting, but Sydney really won me over immediately.

I think I'd trim the list to a more conventional 10 and with some alterations:

Berlin
Mexico City
Montreal
New York
Paris
Shanghai
Sydney
Taipei
Tokyo
Vienna

Still pretty similar overall. I've yet to go to Bangkok, but I suspect I'd like it a lot.

Also, in reference to an earlier discussion on this thread, Taichung now has a rapid transit line and has somewhat improved its local rail service.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-02-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 11:51 AM

12,187 posts, read 8,057,286 times
Favorite Overall- Again my opinions. (Oly did big cities, or world class/Alpha/Beta cities with like 2 exceptions)

A+ - Exceptional, Top Tier. Would 120% Move there now.
Lisbon, Portugal
Munich, Germany

A- Absolutely Amazing Cities
Chicago, USA
Tokyo, Japan
Paris, France
Boston, USA
Oporto, Portugal
Dusseldorf, Germany
Hamburg, Germany
Montreal, Canada
Berlin, Germany

B- Great Cities
Brisbane, Australia
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Washington, USA
Beijing, China
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Dublin, Ireland
Prague, Czechia
San Diego, USA
Vancouver, Canada
New York, USA
Los Angeles, USA
Barcelona, Spain
Florence-Pisa, Italy
San Francisco, USA

C- Alright Cities. Still Positive.
Toronto, Canada
Koln, Germany
Shanghai, China
London, UK
Milan, Italy
Rome, Italy
Miami, USA
Zurich, Switzerland
Marseilles, France
Sydney, Australia

D- Underwhelmed or meh cities. Still don't hate them.
Brussels, Belgium
Philadelphia, USA
Dallas, USA
St. Louis, USA
Houston, USA
Phoenix, USA
Messina, Italy
Baltimore, USA

E- Did Not Like
None yet...

Not Yet To Rate
-Madrid, Spain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World