Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 11:16 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If you don't mind me asking, from what language is your name?

My name, all three of them are among the most boring and plain American combinations. I'm a Black guy but if you only say my name, I could be a Black or White person.
My name is common among Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish speakers.

When my name is called in doctors offices etc. and I stand up people sometimes take a second look I guess they don't think the name matches me. I suspect some are expecting someone more "ethnic" looking with a accent to match I can only deduce that from some of the looks I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 11:57 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
That does not matter unless it is in a formal situation. People around just call my family name without adding any title.
Well personally I would hate it if people called me by my family name. Besides too many people share the same last names, it'd get really confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
You'd be surprised to find out how many people aren't willing.
Exactly. A nickname makes things so much easier. It's easier to be pronounced, easier to be introduced, and easier to be remembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
How are David and Peter Anglo names? Aren't the origins of both these names from Hebrew or Aramaic, and hence Israel which is in Asia? Shouldn't the question be do you like "Anglos" with Asian names? Maybe you prefer more western European names like Brian or Aiden or Eric? :-)
I think he just meant Western name, in a broad sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I also think it is fine and understandable for Asians to adopt English names. I do think many of them could use a little help in their selection, as it is not always easy for foreigners to know what names sound attractive and age-appropriate. Someone needs to tell Koreans, for example, that Eunice and Eugene are really not popular names for young people.
Hahaha yes. There's a topic dedicated to bizarre English names of Taiwanese people (mostly children in English private schools) in this Taiwanese expat site. According to them some children name themselves Fun, Cloudy, Genitalia, Kunt, Table etc. It's hilarious.

All my classmates from middle school and high school have this kind of nicknames, one girl called herself Candy, which no one thought was inappropriate.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
My name is common among Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish speakers.

When my name is called in doctors offices etc. and I stand up people sometimes take a second look I guess they don't think the name matches me. I suspect some are expecting someone more "ethnic" looking with a accent to match I can only deduce that from some of the looks I get.
Same with us. Met with a mortgage lender who said they were expecting us to be from another country.
Surprise, surprise.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
I prefer it when Asians choose to keep their real name for me it comes across as "phony" and superficial and like they're trying "too hard" to fit it. I'm willing to make the effort to learn to pronounce their authentic name and I think most people are.
I feel the same way.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for the UK.

I personally have an ethnic given name which some people attempt to abbreviate usually by asking me if they can call me by the alternative which is a common name in the US I simple politely inform that it isn't okay by restating that "My name is "_____". Very rarely is it an issue. But then again on a personal note the type of people that have an issue with calling me by my authentic name are not the type of people I want to associate with anyway so I consider it a win-win.
I have that same problem- people try to 'cut' my name and anglicize it, sometimes even without asking me. I usually tell them that I prefer that they use my full name.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:40 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I feel the same way.
Your exchange students do they typically keep their names or do they opt for an Anglicized version of their names?

I had someone get annoyed at me once in college he was an international student from Asia we shared a class and would chat at times he introduced himself as "John" which came across totally fake at one point I asked him okay what's your real name? He didn't want to tell me stated he had selected that name and that was his name in the US. I lost interest in chatting with him it just came across as defensive and unfriendly. There's plenty of friendly people to talk to I moved on.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:52 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Your exchange students do they typically keep their names or do they opt for an Anglicized version of their names?

I had someone get annoyed at me once in college he was an international student from Asia we shared a class and would chat at times he introduced himself as "John" which came across totally fake at one point I asked him okay what's your real name? He didn't want to tell me stated he had selected that name and that was his name in the US. I lost interest in chatting with him it just came across as defensive and unfriendly. There's plenty of friendly people to talk to I moved on.
There is another reason. Chinese names are often unique and extremely identifiable. It's not like John or David and you can find 1000 of them in town.

Usually it's impolite to ask people's given name in China, unless you have to. Often times we do not address other people with their given name either.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:

They choose English names. I assumed they do it to 'fit in' and because it would be easier for Americans to pronounce them. We've had mostly girls, and they choose names like Rose, Grace, Julie. I have a feeling they are guided to do this. The names sound like older lady names and they are quite young.

At the beginning I did ask if they had other 'real' names, but they said no and seemed uncomfortable, so I stopped asking.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
There is another reason. Chinese names are often unique and extremely identifiable. It's not like John or David and you can find 1000 of them in town.

Usually it's impolite to ask people's given name in China, unless you have to. Often times we do not address other people with their given name either.
I didn't know that good to know.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
I didn't know that good to know.
I think it's ok for foreigners to do so.
But some Chinese may not feel comfortable until they know you well.

In China, the formal way is to ask "what is your honorable family name?" Then the answer may or may not include his full name.
(But it's very formal and don't do it to young people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World