U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 AM
AFP

6,060 posts, read 3,622,558 times

Advertisements

One Asian surname that gets a chuckle sometimes is Huang pronounced(Hung) I knew a guy named Ben Huang. His name was easy to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 667,025 times
A professor in Singapore is named Chew Sh*t-Fun.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,194,762 times
https://youtu.be/SjUPb4J_MGo

Old 08-29-2016, 03:27 PM

2,988 posts, read 1,406,620 times
Although your satin western may of those names if not most are biblical in origin and technically Jewish/ Middle Eastern. I find it funny that most middle eastern names are now accepted as western.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:29 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
One Asian surname that gets a chuckle sometimes is Huang pronounced(Hung) I knew a guy named Ben Huang. His name was easy to remember.
Really? I never heard that. That's probably a Chinese-American thing, because my Taiwanese friend's last name is Huang, and it's pronounced how it's spelled, not hung

Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,543,812 times
It is not for others to "like". I call people as they prefer to be called, by the name they use to introduce themselves. I do agree that some who don't speak English well may need some advice that it is better to just get an English nickname rather than be called something funny or awkward. I know someone who goes by "Don" instead of his real name "Dong". It's really no big deal. No one makes a fuss if someone likes to be called "Bill", "Will" or "Liam" even if their real name is William. I know a Vietnamese girl named "Phuc" and, even if pronounced slightly differently, she probably needs to adopt another name before she arrives the US (as she will be moving there soon).

I do find it offensive if people who are mere acquaintances ask if it is their "real" name or not. I have a Western given name and an Asian surname. And yes, the Western name is my real name and while it is OK to confirm such if they became close friends, it's highly inappropriate to ask if you just met. Anyway, for many people from the Philippines, Singapore and Hong Kong, the Western name is often a real official name.

My classmates and I had a discussion about this topic in school many years ago. Most of the Japanese adopt a shorter nickname from their real names, as they are often easy to pronounce. Due to being tonal languages, making it more difficult for Westerners to pronounce, Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai often adopt a Western name if their original names are prone to mispronunciations or have funny meanings. Koreans are somewhere in the middle. The problem I have with those who just adopted the names themselves is some of them change their names! I had one classmate who said she was known by another name in another university during undergrad and decided to just adopt another name when she came to graduate school. Then there's this other Taiwanese classmate who adopted a Western name and since her Chinese name was not at all difficult to pronounce and no negative meanings, decided to stop using her Western name after she graduated. Now, if someone calls her at home and her American husband answers, he tells people there is no one there called by that name. All her classmates have to remember her Chinese name as her own husband cannot seem to understand or remember she was known by that name in those years in school!

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Really? I never heard that. That's probably a Chinese-American thing, because my Taiwanese friend's last name is Huang, and it's pronounced how it's spelled, not hung
I don't know that's how he pronounced his name.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM

6,549 posts, read 4,678,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
A professor in Singapore is named Chew Sh*t-Fun.
Fat Ho is more epic lol

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Fat Ho is more epic lol
She can always change it to Phat Ho.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:47 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I've known a few people with the last name Huang (sometimes spelled Hwang) in the US, all of them pronounced it either "h'wAng," or h'wong." Hung is a different last name and you wouldn't hear the pronunciations crossed in any Chinese dialect... It would be like pronouncing "Smith" as "Smart."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or