Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you, Miss Springs. Or, may I call you Alice?
Lol not the right city! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I was teaching ESL here in China, some of my favorites were

Mosquito
Peon
Bosco
Lick (he was also a dwarf)
Rolex
Bentley
Smart
Pencil
Helicopter
Lightning
Tiger
Lion
Bear
Bird
Bee
Aim
Sweet
Porsche
Lexus
Tie

Lots of names like Rain, Apple, Cherry, Candy, etc.

You also had some Chinese names that were somewhat awkward in English, like Juju, Dong Dong, Kaka, Yoyo, Dudu, Dodo, etc.
No....

Mosquito? Pencil? Are these real?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
No....

Mosquito? Pencil? Are these real?
Yep

Old 09-18-2016, 10:10 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I had a Vietnamese friend back during my graduate school days who legally changed his first and last name as "Anglo name". He said it would at least get him some job interviews....this was back during the mid to late 90s. Not sure of his logic here...lol

Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I had a Vietnamese friend back during my graduate school days who legally changed his first and last name as "Anglo name". He said it would at least get him some job interviews....this was back during the mid to late 90s. Not sure of his logic here...lol
I read it somewhere that in America, some companies would strike out resumes that come with non-white names, like last names that are clearly Arabic are instantly filtered, maybe it's the same for other Asians.

No idea about the credibility of the story though. Maybe it's total bull****.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I read it somewhere that in America, some companies would strike out resumes that come with non-white names, like last names that are clearly Arabic are instantly filtered, maybe it's the same for other Asians.

No idea about the credibility of the story though. Maybe it's total bull****.
I'm sure some Human Resources recruiter will have some bias while others won't. He might have felt that it would give him an advantage back then. What made it funny for me was that his full name was like commonly named during the 50-60s in America

For myself, i have an Anglo first name, but legally i still have my Asian name. The only reason is that my Asian name is really difficult to pronounce correctly or come close to it.

Last edited by JL; 09-18-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
It is one of comedian Adam Carolla's bits. The theory is the human resources guy will see the name and anticipating a problem will favor and easier to pronounce name at the first step before you can show potential

Old 09-18-2016, 06:41 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think it makes things so much easier when you introduce yourself. People usually are not bothered to try to pronounce Chinese names correctly.

Japanese names seem to be the only exception though, probably because they are usually very easy to pronounce.
Frankly, Japanese names might also be an exception due to the popularity of anime in the West.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:37 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Frankly, Japanese names might also be an exception due to the popularity of anime in the West.
Yes because that's all what Japan is known for, Anime
I think your underestimating the power of Japanese companies/brands like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Mazda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Subaru, Isuzu, Kawasaki, Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, Casio, Hitachi, Bridgestone, Toshiba, Konami, Namco, Yakult, Asics etc. etc.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I have no idea, maybe, Japan gets special treatment all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World