Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Mogadishu, Somalia 16 27.12%
Flint, Michigan, United States 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Which place has better weather?
Which place is safer?
Which place is healthier?
Which place has less crime?
Which place has the lowest cost of living?
Which place is better overall?

Really dumb thread....is really in doubt what is the better place between the two!!???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Come on it's 2018, Describing the US as the categorically worst place on earth is in style, especially among arnarcho-communist American High School and University aged kids.
Nothing worse than communists, who lie.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
We are wandering from the original point. What I'm saying is that while Flint is on hard times, I think it's hyperbolic and honestly a bit offensive to the people of Flint to compare them to a region that has no strong unified government, is under constant terrorist infiltration from groups like al-Shabbab, constantly suffers from famine, etc.

Flint is unsafe. Flint is poor. Flint has bad water. I get that. I just think it's absolutely crazy that we are equating it with a third world nation that is riddled with many, many more problems. Flint never required an extensive US military operation to ensure UN food aid was being properly distributed.
Flint was one of several cities in which their elected municipal government was arbitrarily fired by the government and replaced with hacks. The rights of the people of Flint were seriously eroded by the US Partriot Act, in respons to "constant terrorist infiltration" fears and threats. Residents of Flint have had their food stamps (properly distributed food aid) decimated , bringing them closer to famine.

What Flint does not have is a strong cultural sense of family and neighborhood support that can see them through times of adversity. Somalis get along fine with or without a government, which exists in both countries only to defend the privileges of the rich.

I've been in Somalia, just over a year ago. I'd rather live in Hargeisa than Flint. If I had to earn my own living, I might not have such a preference, for economic reasons, but as a community in which to live, I'll take Hargeisa.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:52 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Too close to call.
You're either incredible naive, or just kidding. Your life wouldn't last a day in Somalia.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:21 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
You're either incredible naive, or just kidding. Your life wouldn't last a day in Somalia.
Just having fun.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Which place has better weather?
Which place is safer?
Which place is healthier?
Which place has less crime?
Which place has the lowest cost of living?
Which place is better overall?
Mean-spirited poll. Not voting. Mods, this poll should be deleted.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I've been in Somalia, just over a year ago. I'd rather live in Hargeisa than Flint. If I had to earn my own living, I might not have such a preference, for economic reasons, but as a community in which to live, I'll take Hargeisa.
Hargeisa isn't Mogadishu. A huge difference.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why do people think that poor countries are automatically cheap? For example Luanda, Angola is one of the most expensive cities in the world for an expat, because you have to pay a fortune to get even close to the same lifestyle and amenities you have in the West.

Very true, Luanda is incredibly expensive if you want to have anywhere close to a western lifestyle....

Old 02-02-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hargeisa isn't Mogadishu. A huge difference.
I don't know if there is a difference or not. Do you? Hargeisa functions in a total vacuum of federal authority or international diplomacy, and the safety is a function of the local authorities. I would presume Mogadishu is within the same paradigm, except that broader political function is ineffective rather than absent. Mogadishu can be as safe or dangerous as the local organizations let it be, and as I understand it, over the past five years the city has become relatively peaceful, with citizens going about their daily lives much the same as any other third world country, but with little or no meddling by a national oversight, which in many countries is to corrupt that it worse than absent.

I was also in Berbera, which by all accounts is not as safe as Hargeisa, but I saw no evidence that the general population was living under any particular duress.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,954,632 times
Flint. Their tap water is fanta, how awesome is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World