Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,299,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
But there's already another Colombia.

Still on the whole Murica thing. Slightly different pronunciation and spelling should do the job. Or we could think of something totally new but still an accurate representation of American history, like Plutocracy.
Columbia not Colombia and if we did it first, they'd have another name.

Murica could work. Or maybe a name from the thirteen colonies. I like Carolina personally. Can't use Georgia as there's already one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,757,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Columbia not Colombia and if we did it first, they'd have another name.

Murica could work. Or maybe a name from the thirteen colonies. I like Carolina personally. Can't use Georgia as there's already one.
Wilmington, North Carolina, Carolina. I don't know that's just repetitive. It should be a name unique from the state names.

According to Wikipedia, alternative names for the US:
- Columbia
- Freedonia (since Muricans are obsessed with words like free and freedom, this would work nicely)
- Appalachia (I don't like this one as there is much more to Murica than the Eastern half now)
- Alleghany (along with Freedonia and Appalachia, were names proposed after the Revolution)
- Usonia (made up based on the United States by James Duff Law who thought we could not use the word "America" in our official name because of other countries on our continent)
- Usona (same as above)

Old 09-21-2016, 12:37 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,299,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Wilmington, North Carolina, Carolina. I don't know that's just repetitive. It should be a name unique from the state names.

According to Wikipedia, alternative names for the US:
- Columbia
- Freedonia (since Muricans are obsessed with words like free and freedom, this would work nicely)
- Appalachia (I don't like this one as there is much more to Murica than the Eastern half now)
- Alleghany (along with Freedonia and Appalachia, were names proposed after the Revolution)
- Usonia (made up based on the United States by James Duff Law who thought we could not use the word "America" in our official name because of other countries on our continent)
- Usona (same as above)
We already say, "New York, New York.

Appalachia? Then both the mountains and people would be "Appalachians". Nah.

I like Allegheny though. But I'm a west coast native and would prefer "Cascadian" or "Sierrian/Sierran".

Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,757,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
We already say, "New York, New York.

Appalachia? Then both the mountains and people would be "Appalachians". Nah.

I like Allegheny though. But I'm a west coast native and would prefer "Cascadian" or "Sierrian/Sierran".
Only those respective regions should have those names. In fact try to tell a Washingtonian or Oregonian that you, a Californian, want to identify as a Cascadian. You'll hear some heated words come out of their mouth. Especially as a Californian who has been invading and ruining other Western states for years through Californication. At least let other regions have their own unique identity for once instead of taking it away from them

Same goes for Alleghany and Appalachia.

If America is getting a new name, it should be a truly NEW name not stolen from a smaller American region to then use to identify all Americans. The States and subregions like Cascadia and Appalachia take pride on their uniqueness and individuality all the time in comparison to other states (hence all the references to Divided States of America on here) and we shouldn't be taking that away from them.

Imagine the EU becoming a nation and then saying, "Well, we can't identify as Europeans because there are other countries on this continent. Therefore, we will rename ourselves France and call the citizens French." Could you imagine Germans or Swedes freaking out about that? It's a similar application, but for the US you are trying to pull. So I strongly disagree with you.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 09-21-2016 at 02:27 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 03:50 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,435,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
What should we call ourselves.. United Statsians?
In Italian language does exist the adjective "statunitensi", that is practically the translation of "united statesians".

Old 09-21-2016, 04:06 AM

820 posts, read 948,797 times
Poundland for the UK
France for France

Old 09-21-2016, 04:29 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,708,775 times
Finland -> Winland

Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 AM

26,990 posts, read 13,233,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Id like ours taken back in time to.. Caledonia is the Latin name given by the Romans to the land in today's Scotland

Caladonia for Scotland

Anglia for England

Cambria for Wales

Ulster for Northern Ireland

Hibernia for Ireland

Albion or Britannia for Great Britain

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-21-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 AM

26,990 posts, read 13,233,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Poundland for the UK
France for France
Better than being in Euroland run by bureaucrats in Brussels and Strasbourg on behalf of Berlin.

The Eurozone, Euro and Schengen have been unmitigated disasters, which pretty much refelcts the EU itself.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:52 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,220,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Finland -> Winland
Damnit, I just came to post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World