Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 01:17 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,888,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Without a doubt it is New York City
Why would that be? I am sure that Bradford is FAR more important, can you explain to me exactly what New York gives to your 'average' Estonian that Bradford doesn't? I only want to hear answers on here from people that have visited both New York AND Bradford, after all these are the people that will really know 'which' would have the right to lay claim to 'world capital', personally I give the edge to Bradford because of Yorkshire Pudding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,672,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
As an American I have been very critical of my own country and our government which most Americans seem to overlook. That being said, recent travels to Europe have shown me how much more wise and open minded Americans are. For all the talk of Europeans being more global they're nothing to write home about.
LMAO what an insular statement. Perfect example that what comes out of someone's mouth does NOT equate to reality.

Personally I think New York is still the lead city mainly due to sheer size, however its influenced has waned since London stepped it up post millennium.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
LMAO what an insular statement. Perfect example that what comes out of someone's mouth does NOT equate to reality.

Personally I think New York is still the lead city mainly due to sheer size, however its influenced has waned since London stepped it up post millennium.
I'm guessing you've never even been to Bradford then?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,356,566 times
London is Europe's capital NYC is the worlds' capital

Old 10-03-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
London is Europe's capital NYC is the worlds' capital
Nonsense, Bradford is the capital of Europe AND the world, I suggest you visit, you will see what I mean then.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 AM

977 posts, read 1,004,227 times
How does London have world influence? I am saying this with pure curiosity. I don't know any major companies there, or large government agencies etc. I am not informed at all about London so please inform why it would be the world's capital. I know why this would be said about NYC tho.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:10 AM

26,899 posts, read 13,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How does London have world influence? I am saying this with pure curiosity. I don't know any major companies there, or large government agencies etc. I am not informed at all about London so please inform why it would be the world's capital. I know why this would be said about NYC tho.
London's Whitehall area is the hub of National Government with the world famous Houses of Parliament nearby, whilst internationaly there are Embassies representing every country on Earth in London, the US has it's biggest Embassy in Europe in London, there are also major companies HQ's based throughout London, London is a major Trading Hub and Global Market place, a major Transport Hub and Centre for Tourism/Leisure, a major global retail centre, a major Education, Medical, Science hub, as well as a Cultural, Sports and Knowledge hub including areas such as Tech and Fintech as well as a hub for world Legal Services and the Advertising industry, the City is perfectly placed in terms in terms of timezones. London is growing as a city, parts of it such as the old Docklands in the traditionally poorer East End already look like a North American Skyscraper Zone and the city is increasingly diverse and embracing new industries. London has transformed itself in recent decades, from a city that was partially devastated in WW2, to a City which is now one of two Alpha++ cities in the world, the other being London's sister city NYC.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-03-2016 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 05:34 AM

969 posts, read 820,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Two main reasons: global connectivity and ease of business.

1. It is more connected with the rest of the world: For obvious reasons, it has intimate ties with former British colonies such as Hong Kong and Singapore, which are powerful financial and business hubs in and of themselves. It has timezone advantages over New York because its working hours overlap with those of emerging markets all across the world.

2. The business environment is less oppressive: New York has historically been subject to byzantine regulations enforced through bodies like the SEC, and a repressive culture of litigation, whereas London has an outstanding tradition of legal and accountancy professionalism to facilitate business operations.

The significance of this is that London has become the global hub for foreign exchange, insurance and derivatives. It oversees immense financial transaction volumes, orders of magnitude greater than that of the cash and futures markets in New York and Chicago.

As the rankings stand, London is more influential than New York in terms of global power projection,*** innovation,** foreign direct investments* and transformative projects.* It is also a world leader in cultural capital,** intellectual capital,** higher education,*** technology, retail,* and cross-border tourism.*** New York is ahead of London in terms of the contemporary art market, literature, the fashion industry,* asset management and equity market capitalization. Its residential real estate market has boomed ahead of the rest of the world in 2015,* but it's questionable whether this is sustainable in the long term.* New York has a bigger GDP by metro area, but this is to do with the semantics of metro area boundaries rather than some qualitative feature of the municipal zones.

London is being swept by a renaissance of renovation, redevelopment and construction and the feeling in the city is fantastic. New York is developing too, with projects such as the Fulton Center/WTC and Hudson Yards, but it also seems to have suffered under De Blasio's tenure as mayor. I get the sense that it is resorting to desperate measures to offset this regress, and not quite succeeding.

Last edited by CTDominion; 10-03-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,278,034 times
I've lived in both. During the '90s, it was New York, but now it's London. Since the early 2000s, London has seen a level of development, investment and cultural renaissance that New York simply cannot match. Earlier replies have given the numbers behind this, but I'll lay it out in the simplest way I can:

London is a global city. New York is an American city that's really diverse.

This is the key reason that London is more important. While it has centuries (technically millennia) of British history at its feet, it is more open to the world. Part of this is its location at the doorstep of Europe, but the UK in general has been shaped by adopting the people, traditions and cultures of places as far away as the US, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, India and Africa. The US receives a lot of immigration, no doubt, but always has a fiercely patriotic undercurrent that isn't really as present in London (or the rest of the UK for that matter). Somewhat oddly, this means that London assimilates and integrates better; although enclaves exist, it feels more "blended" than New York, which is defined by concentrations of ethnicities in specific neighbourhoods to a greater degree than in London. I believe that London is the second-most diverse city in the world after Toronto as well, if I remember correctly. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it is.

In terms of competitiveness, London wins hands down. It is embarking on a significantly more aggressive infrastrucutre and expansion programme than New York, with Crossrail, Thameslink, the Tube modernisation and the Northern line extension underway and Crossrail 2 and HS2 in the planning phases. The fact that this is occurring at the same time that London is the world's most desirable investment and property market means a level of development unseen in any western city, spurred on by this as well as population growth at a faster clip than New York. It's also a much more friendly destination for business in terms of regulation and connectivity. New York relies on being the gateway to a much larger domestic market, but is still focused on the US more than the world overall.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:28 PM

15 posts, read 15,758 times
Americans make up the most of this site and for them New York is the centre of the universe ..

For the rest of the world , London is where you need to be ...

That about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World