Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is nothing wrong with my grammar, whatever I say AND however I say it is PURE English, the people around me speak the same way, they speak PURE English too, HOWEVER, we are not arrogant enough to suggest that the English we speak is 'proper English', the English spoken by our Geordie, Scouse or Brummy friends is also PURE English because as they are English they also speak PURE English, HOWEVER this doesn't mean that somebody in Chicago, Wellington or Sydney don't speak 'correct' English because they ALL do, nobody should be arrogant enough to proclaim their way of speaking is the correct way of speaking and that includes the Queen :-D
Hey, I am not arguing that you do not speak 'PURE English', but you could use some full stops instead of commas.

Relax, I'm just giving you a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
As a native Brit who teaches English to non-native speakers here in the US, it's pretty apparent that English in Blighty is often pretty awful. Some regional accents - no one outside the local area is going to understand them (think in a global context), and that bloody use of 'to be stood' - instead of 'standing', has become more ubiquitous. ConTroversy (another), don't get me started.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM

76 posts, read 56,089 times
Something that I notice when I hear English people speak in films or on tv is that when they say here it sounds like they are saying hair or hare.I have also noticed that they'll often drop letters from words while they're speaking. Then there's always the distinctive wot for what.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 PM

76 posts, read 56,089 times
An example of when they drop certain letters from words is when they drop the h from heard and say it like 'eard.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I used to have a colleague from southern England. I only understood half of what he said and thought it's because my English is not fluent enough.
But later other people told me they could not understand him either.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I used to have a colleague from southern England. I only understood half of what he said and thought it's because my English is not fluent enough.
Then it is because all of you have English that is not fluent enough!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
Something that I notice when I hear English people speak in films or on tv is that when they say here it sounds like they are saying hair or hare.I have also noticed that they'll often drop letters from words while they're speaking. Then there's always the distinctive wot for what.
What do you mean "wot" for what? What vowel sound does that O make? At least in RP that word is identical to the US pronunciation.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Then it is because all of you have English that is not fluent enough!
Or just not exposed to that dialect enough.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If he's from a working class area in Norfolk or Essex I wouldn't blame you. Believe it or not there are some crappy accents in Southern England too.

'Aw Mayete, Aw Mayete' that's what the working class guys say here. Bloody Mate so sick of hearing that damn word.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Easthome,

Even in England there is no pure English. Invasion from Nordics and immigration from Ireland has definitely shown this to not be true. Look at Northern England and the Scandivanian and Irish influenced dialects up there. So no. Pure English doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World