Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:05 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,362,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What are you talking about? It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a lot of Americans are.
Edinburgh is a very desirable city, so are Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Manchester and Liverpool are also resurging into excellent cities.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh by Oscar F. Hevia, on Flickr

Golden Edinburgh by Kirsty McWhirter, on Flickr

Union Canal by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - April 2015 #18 by swami666, on Flickr

Edinburgh by michael_hamburg69, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - August 2014 #1 by swami666, on Flickr
All nice cities, but california isn't that much worst when it comes to smaller nice cities. It has Santa Barbra, college towns like Chico, San Luis Obispo, and Berkeley. Other cities like Oakland are improving, inland the cochella valley has some nice places, Sacramento is nice, Davis is really surprising in terms of it being a small city, Orange county is filled with clean great cities like Irvine, Costa Mesa, Huntington beach, and a few others, San diego has a few nice cities around it, Napa is building up their downtown (I was there last summer, for a country side city there is a lot of development). Palo alto has a nice leafy downtown area, Carmel is one of the most charming cities in the world, and other areas on the north coast like Eureka to ghost point are really cool and naturally rugged in a way, even some small outpost towns in the central valley have great clean convenience stores and gas stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:21 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,659,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
US states have a lot more autonomy than the sub-national units of most other countries so I wouldn't down play this quite so much.
Yes, but it's a benefits from a huge domestic internal market. The UK lacks this possiblity. Say you create a grocery chain, let's call it GentooMart. It can expand as a domestic chain to 49 other states. A GentooMart in the UK is confined to the island of 65 million people. Sure, it can expand on continental Europe, but it will be a foreign chain with foreign laws, and will get fierce competition of domestic ArieteMarkts and Rozennfours in the respectable countries.

That's the main difference.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:12 AM

769 posts, read 1,002,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Didn't know a city was based on its nightlife and not its infrastructure, safety and quality of life. Education obviously means nothing to you compared to nightlife. And FYI the nightlife in cities like Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle is extremely lively. Your exact words were desirable city and all the aforementioned are desirable due to their quality of life.

Also the breach between London and San Francisco is vastly larger than anything between SF and Manchester.
Firstly, I never used the words 'desirable city' in my post at all. So that's just incorrect.

Secondly, I never said a city was judged solely on its nightlife. I merely used that as an example demonstrating that they're boring and small cities. But nice try.

In fact, I never said anything of QOL. I merely talked about global cities. Zurich arguably has the highest quality of life of any city in the world, but I'd take London, NYC, Tokyo, LA, Sydney,etc. over it any time.

London is the only global centre in the UK. Full stop. Everything else from Birmingham to Edinburgh to Leeds to Newcastle to Liverpool are not. They're boring, lower tier cities on the global scale. I would even argue that, besides Edinburgh, their QOL isn't that great either. And, yes, I've been to them all obviously.

Also, the gap between London and SF is vastly smaller than the gap between SF and Manchester. SF is one of the most international and global cities on this planet. Not to mention that it's extremely wealthy and the fact that the Bay Area's economy is growing at about the same rate as China. Furthermore, we don't know the level of impact that a 'hard' Brexit might have upon our beloved London. 2019 shall be an interesting year.

Finally, yes, I'm so glad that you pointed out my loathing for education. I only have two Master's degrees, and earn more in 1 year than most people earn in 10.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:01 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,261,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
As someone who lives in the UK, it should be noted that UK Cities are often very closely bunched together, for instance Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield or Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry, Edinburgh and Glasgow or indeed Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea etc.

What you get in the UK is regional economies rather than city economies, and talk of the Midlands as an economic powerhouse or the Northern Powerhouse, which is something that is very much on the current political agenda.

In the US you have far fewer cities bunched together only thirty or forty miles from each other, due to the sheer size of the country when compared to the UK.
California's economies are also largely regional. San Francisco dominates the north and Los Angeles the south. Each region also contain the largest ports on the west coast; Long Beach just south of LA and Oakland across from SF, not to mention LA and SF having smaller ports of their own. These economies are very much regional.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,244,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post

London is the only global centre in the UK. Full stop. Everything else from Birmingham to Edinburgh to Leeds to Newcastle to Liverpool are not. They're boring, lower tier cities on the global scale. I would even argue that, besides Edinburgh, their QOL isn't that great either. And, yes, I've been to them all obviously.
Exactly. That was my only point. There is only one UK city that is truly a major, global city; CA has at least two such cities.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:07 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,261,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, but it's a benefits from a huge domestic internal market. The UK lacks this possiblity. Say you create a grocery chain, let's call it GentooMart. It can expand as a domestic chain to 49 other states. A GentooMart in the UK is confined to the island of 65 million people. Sure, it can expand on continental Europe, but it will be a foreign chain with foreign laws, and will get fierce competition of domestic ArieteMarkts and Rozennfours in the respectable countries.

That's the main difference.
Ah, I see what you're saying now. Expanding into Canada and Mexico is also not that difficult, especially the former. It's often more difficult to expand into California than to expand out of it.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,888,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. That was my only point. There is only one UK city that is truly a major, global city; CA has at least two such cities.
So what makes San Francisco more 'global' than Manchester exactly?

Old 10-08-2016, 04:13 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,362,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So what makes San Francisco more 'global' than Manchester exactly?
global integration, more multi national organization, closer trade ties with foreign cities, hosts major international conferences in the surrounding area, larger economy, larger investment for foreign governments and company in the region, world leading science/r&d, leading in automobile, bio-science, and many other industries, more international fame/ recognition, and much more.

In fact San Diego is more international than Manchester holding com-icon and other world famous events in their city.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:15 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
California isn't the 5th largest economy in the world, as California isn't a national entity but a subsidiary of the internal market called the United States of America. If California were independent, it would not be the 5th largest economy, as it wouldn't be a part of the massive US economy.

I think it would. There's a very free spirited mentality here, the idea that you can create, create, create is everywhere.

Many Californians identify with state first, then nationality. Not sure why. It's very popular here to wear clothes with the California flag, or dress things with images of the CA flag.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:22 PM

3,289 posts, read 3,764,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
True, but the UK really only has one desirable city; CA has many.

CA has two world class cities (and San Diego isn't far behind), UK only has London.
San Diego keeps growing and developing, and we have people moving here in droves each month. It's a great city to live in- its safe, easy to move around in, laid back but with still enough city life when you want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World