Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times

Advertisements

Most walkable megacity in the world is Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,377 times
To be truly walkable, a city necessarily has an extensive network of metro subway system with densely packed subway exit stations. Then there'd be heavy pedestrian traffic and restaurants and other services. Based on the table linked below, NYC is the winner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems

Old 10-23-2016, 08:48 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
To be truly walkable, a city necessarily has an extensive network of metro subway system with densely packed subway exit stations. Then there'd be heavy pedestrian traffic and restaurants and other services. Based on the table linked below, NYC is the winner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems
Main Means of Transportation:

Walking:
Tokyo = 28%
NYC = 5%

Metro:
Tokyo = 59%
NYC = 54%

Car:
Tokyo = 4%
NYC = 24%

Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Main Means of Transportation:

Walking:
Tokyo = 28%
NYC = 5%

Metro:
Tokyo = 59%
NYC = 54%

Car:
Tokyo = 4%
NYC = 24%
Yea, Tokyo overall is significantly more walkable than NYC for several reasons. Tokyo's walkable areas are larger and spreads the density a bit thinner--sort of like Brooklyn levels of density throughout instead of having much higher densities in one place and then much lower densities in another such as with Manhattan and Stateb Island / eastern Queens in NYC. Tokyo also has a much more extensive transit system especially when it cones to commuter lines which in Tokyo covers more area and directions and generally come at greater frequencies. Plus, the stops in the outer areas are often around a walkable neighborhood core.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:54 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
No metro system here, so it means not walkable.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No metro system here, so it means not walkable.
LOL

Fabio asked in post #4 "What do you mean with "walkable"?"

I don't think that has been defined for this thread.

To me walkable means, you can get to all the amenities you need to live within walking distance. Parks, stores, restaurants, doctors and schools. Added bonuses for live theatre, major sporting events and cinema's.

Good transit is great, but it doesn't mean walkable since you are taking a mode of transportation to get there, no different than a car really. If they want to include transit and bicycles, the thread should be called " Best city to live without a car ". IMO

Old 10-24-2016, 01:51 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL

To me walkable means, you can get to all the amenities you need to live within walking distance. Parks, stores, restaurants, doctors and schools. Added bonuses for live theatre, major sporting events and cinema's.

Good transit is great, but it doesn't mean walkable since you are taking a mode of transportation to get there, no different than a car really. If they want to include transit and bicycles, the thread should be called " Best city to live without a car ". IMO
This would make a good thread.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:25 PM

93 posts, read 96,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This would make a good thread.
Though most if not all European cities in most of their city will be seen as under the full term of "highly walkable". NYC being the most overall in the States. A few other cities can be noteworthy as "walkable cities" in their cores and downtowns. Like Chicago, Boston, DC, San Francisco, Philadelphia and maybe Seattle. Canadians would add Toronto and Vancouver. These cities are also cities with the most mass transit. Trains and buses to trams to trolley's.

So for North America outside of Mexico that gets forgotten as in North America. With NYC on Top overall. Theses cities would be my list here with the most highly walkable cores. US cities just do not stay that way outside of their cores. As we still love our Cars, SUV's and Pickup trucks. LOL.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Venice, definitely. Most walkable city anywhere.
I would suggest that Venice is also a very 'swimmable' city too.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I would suggest that Venice is also a very 'swimmable' city too.
Wouldn't fancy swimming in the Canals.

Wasn't Birmingham Tourist Board going on about Birmingham having more canals than Venice.

Although I definately wouldn't want to swim in the Canals in Birmingham.

It has more miles of canals than Venice, more trees than Paris and smells of brown sauce. Ar, I'm proud to be a Brummie

Most British Cities are very walkable, with many having lots of parks and green space.

Home - Walk London

London's best walks - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World