Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:15 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And BTW, generally speaking all foreign language books get translated into French in France. For example, if I go to my local bookstore here in Gatineau and buy the French version of Stephen King's "It", it's from the French (France) publisher Albin Michel. And on the inside front cover it will still say "traduit de l'américain"…
Lol, the French are so pathetic. Even till this day there is substantial anti-English sentiment as shown by the urine they threw on Chris Froome on the Tour de France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 06:23 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
If you really wanted to identify a language as "Brazilian", that would be the Brazilian variety of Portuguese. That's all.
The Brazilian language would be in fact Tupi. The former "lingua franca" used in colonial times.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:05 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Indoor temperatures in the winter that are cool to the point where you have to wear a sweater are something I have only seen outside Canada (in Europe and on other continents too).

It's almost never that cool in Canadians' homes during winter daytime hours when you're walking around doing stuff.

Of course, many people here will turn the heat down at night to 17-18C, but usually it's set to come back up to 20-21C just before they awake. And usually the home's insulation is very tight and efficient so even with the heat down overnight it doesn't really go below 19-20C by morning anyway. At least that's the way it is in my house.
I find many people keep their house's indoor temps cooler in winter in this area compared to the rest of Canada. It's pretty common for people to turn off heat or at least turn it way down here when they are not home. In Ottawa I noticed that people keep the heat cranked pretty high even when they weren't home. I guess the colder winter climate there necessitates that. Of course, I keep my home pretty warm at all times in winter so I am somewhat of an exception

Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times
It seems that brazilians are a an important misconception about Brazil! I post this beacuse tons of brazilians say what happens to them: lots of people say they don't look brazilians.

I don't travel abroad so much and the few times I did people didn't say this but most of brazilians have heard that.

Let me post this video about brazilian youtubers in Germany. It's in portuguese, but it's interesting to see them and realize that none of them would be considered a minority in Brazil, but almost all of them say that they have been said they don't look brazilians!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM

12 posts, read 9,182 times
our country worst issue is that one religion should rule the nation, if there are minority become governor or even under the governor, they will get discrimination and called by weird name. and they will try to impose him. no matter how big your role to the state, you will still be impose because of your religion matter.
i'm speaking on behalf of minority citizen from a country in southeast asia.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM

536 posts, read 639,333 times
Bulgaria= vague Eastern European country that must not be very good or interesting.

It's a misconception because Bulgaria offers a ton for tourists, is very distinct (not "vague"), and has great history, nature, and resorts.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:51 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
that we are feisty and rebellious

we are quite docile , very conformist and will usually avoid those who kick up a fuss
I've heard from several friends who have visited Ireland that the locals are the warmest, kindest, most friendly and gracious people. I know a man who has relatives there and he tells the same stories. My impression is that Ireland is a wonderfully friendly place that I hope to visit one day. Especially because I love the brogue!

And no, I am not of Irish decent at all. I just like friendly people.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM

924 posts, read 751,852 times
Being in the US, and going from comments I've received from people online over the years, I would say that the biggest misconceptions about this country are that most Americans can't understand any language other than English, and that we have no clue about what goes on in the rest of the world.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
[quote=Diane de Poitiers;46923110]Being in the US, and going from comments I've received from people online over the years, I would say that the biggest misconceptions about this country are that most Americans can't understand any language other than English, and that we have no clue about what goes on in the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few though do fit into this category.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 AM

820 posts, read 953,905 times
In France we eat frog legs and snails.
Infact no one has ever tried it once. Only tourists eat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World