U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,578 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Reputation: 8104

Advertisements

I would agree with the 1990s for the western developed world.


The 2000s were also quite good for Canada. Much better than for many western countries who seemed to have more turmoil, unrest and economic downturns. We were spared most of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,621 posts, read 2,909,496 times
Reputation: 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
And what about Yugoslavian wars?
I meant the Balkans and not the Baltic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
Reputation: 11103
What was so unpeaceful about the Baltic States? The Singing Revolution took like 4 casualties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would agree with the 1990s for the western developed world.
Except that Europe saw the most brutal ethnic cleansing since WWII. But hey, it's only the Balkans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I meant the Balkans and not the Baltic,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,621 posts, read 2,909,496 times
Reputation: 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What was so unpeaceful about the Baltic States? The Singing Revolution took like 4 casualties.



Except that Europe saw the most brutal ethnic cleansing since WWII. But hey, it's only the Balkans...
The End of the Cold War meant that nuclear war and global destruction was less likely. Sadly even with events like the Balkans it was still by and large a time of peace. It also shouldn't be forgotten that the Balkans weren't the only genocide occurring at the time, the death rate and mass genocide in Rwanda even exceeded that of the Balkans.

Rwanda genocide: 100 days of slaughter - BBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,578 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Reputation: 8104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

Except that Europe saw the most brutal ethnic cleansing since WWII. But hey, it's only the Balkans...


Every decade has lots of bad stuff that happens. It's almost a question of picking the least bad one. Generally speaking, most western countries were peaceful and prosperous during that decade, and optimism ruled the day.





The 90s also saw the genocide in Rwanda that claimed almost a million lives. Of course, they weren't "western" so some people don't count them I guess. Still an atrocious moment in history.

EDIT: Just saw Rwanda was already mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,518,659 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Every decade has lots of bad stuff that happens. It's almost a question of picking the least bad one. Generally speaking, most western countries were peaceful and prosperous during that decade, and optimism ruled the day.





The 90s also saw the genocide in Rwanda that claimed almost a million lives. Of course, they weren't "western" so some people don't count them I guess. Still an atrocious moment in history.

EDIT: Just saw Rwanda was already mentioned.
Therefore the correct answer is the 80's. Half of Europe was reborn, figure the Eastern Bloc getting their independence back. Plus the democratisation of South America.

Ok, there was Chernobyl, the First Intifada and the famine in Ethiopia, but no biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,669 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
In the US the 50s, 80s, and 90s are usually in the debate for the best decade, but what I'm asking is for the best decade for the entire world all around
There is less poverty, more wealth and longer human lifespans in the world right now than at any other time in recorded history, as far as I can tell.

So, the answer is this decade and most likely beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Sweden
22,869 posts, read 64,913,446 times
Reputation: 17825
1980s for entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,578 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Reputation: 8104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Therefore the correct answer is the 80's. Half of Europe was reborn, figure the Eastern Bloc getting their independence back. Plus the democratisation of South America.

Ok, there was Chernobyl, the First Intifada and the famine in Ethiopia, but no biggie.
The 80s were my second choice, so I won't be arguing with you too much on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
854 posts, read 757,631 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The 80s were my second choice, so I won't be arguing with you too much on this.
The 80's were disastrous for Latin America. La década pérdida/The lost decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top