U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,243,107 times

Advertisements

Like I said today, someone mentioned Boko Haram but even with Boko Haram slaughtering everyone in NE Nigeria. Africa as a whole is a million times safer than just a few decades ago. Same with Asia and these are the two most populous continents in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:43 PM

387 posts, read 253,664 times
1980s

>Left the malaise of the 70s behind, optimistic vibe in society,
>low energy prices for most of decade left room for mucho moolah for the average wage earner,
>stock market strongly positive; up til '87 crash it quadrupled ( I made a lot of $$$$ myself),
>globalization hadn't yet laid waste to jobs - the word "china" was never seen in the pages of newspapers at that time,

Best decade ever.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:53 PM

13,304 posts, read 11,991,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
1980s

>Left the malaise of the 70s behind, optimistic vibe in society,
>low energy prices for most of decade left room for mucho moolah for the average wage earner,
>stock market strongly positive; up til '87 crash it quadrupled ( I made a lot of $$$$ myself),
>globalization hadn't yet laid waste to jobs - the word "china" was never seen in the pages of newspapers at that time,

Best decade ever.
How were the 70ies?
What "malaise" exactly are you talking about?

Old 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM

14,799 posts, read 16,502,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The nineties were horrible time in Russia, comparable only with the post-WWII times.
So nope, not the 90ies, if we are talking about "the world."
In the U.S crime rates were through the roof and our president at the time was getting it on in the oval office.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:54 PM

3,808 posts, read 1,249,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In the U.S crime rates were through the roof and our president at the time was getting it on in the oval office.
crime rates were falling the entire decade

Old 10-26-2016, 06:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,094,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Wikipedia
Having lived in Florida, I sensed you were wrong. Here are the violent crime stats for FL by year.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement - Violent Crime

I didn't look at the rest of the states you mentioned, but generally US crime has been in decline since it peaked during the crackfest of the 1980's, 2016 notwithstanding.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,094,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How were the 70ies?
What "malaise" exactly are you talking about?
Malaise is exactly the word Jimmy Carter used to describe the situation in the US. It was a time of layoffs, factory closings, inflation, stagflation, urban decay, Watergate, Vietnam, oil shortages, protests, and strikes.

Internationally, it was worse. There was Pol Pot, war between India and Pakistan, the Soviet-Afghan war began and there were multiple civil wars throughout Asia and Africa. South America had the Dirty War. Africa had Idi Amin and much Hell all over the continent. The UK had a terrible recession in the 70's and economies worldwide were sputtering.

It would be hard to argue in favor of the 70's as the best decade since WWII.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 AM

737 posts, read 1,201,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This decade...

The problems we deal with today in the world are so over hyped by the media that most would think we are living in h3ll...

600 years of war and peace, in one amazing chart - Vox

The world is not falling apart: The trend lines reveal an increasingly peaceful period in history.
Thank you for bringing some sense and perspective to this thread. I've seen a similar graphic to the one on the Vox website but I think the one I saw went all the way back to the year 0 but it painted a similar picture with regard to organized conflict around the world. Partly for this reason I believe this decade right now is the best decade since WWII. Sure we have our problems but even a lot of our problems, such as the racial tension in the US, can be viewed as progress IMO. No doubt the prevalence of the internet and its worldwide reach has greatly influenced the perception of reality for the average person.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 AM

14,604 posts, read 17,422,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Sure we have our problems but even a lot of our problems, such as the racial tension in the US, can be viewed as progress IMO. No doubt the prevalence of the internet and its worldwide reach has greatly influenced the perception of reality for the average person.
The U.S. is mainly a case of first world problems writ large.

The so-called poor in the U.S. would not be considered poor in most other places in the world. They probably wouldn't even have been considered poor 50 years ago in our own country.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:56 PM

821 posts, read 606,437 times
2020's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or