U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM
AFP

4,541 posts, read 2,292,956 times

Advertisements

Post #26 Portugal didn't have the manpower to expand to that extent with a population of merely 1 million during the beginning of the age of exploration. China would of taken cooperation from all the European powers but could have been accomplished and then parceled off.

Last edited by AFP; 10-28-2016 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 01:26 PM

23,062 posts, read 13,621,806 times
Baila baila:

Old 10-28-2016, 01:35 PM
AFP

Interesting Turkey is a dear friend.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Interesting Turkey is a dear friend.
I don't what is the origin of this, but Finland and Turkey have traditionally had a warm relationship despite all military coups and other unrest over there. Probably goes back to the 1930's and the mutual antipathy towards Russia back then. It wasn't a long time ago when the Turkish PM visited Finland, and Turkey and Finland do a lot of military (surveillance) cooperation too. Finland has also always been a big supporter of a Turkish membership in the EU, though the majority of our people oppose its membership.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:07 PM

9,953 posts, read 9,598,791 times
Quote:
Post #26 Portugal didn't have the manpower to expand to that extent with a population of merely 1 million during the beginning of the age of exploration. China would of taken cooperation from all the European powers but could have been accomplished and then parceled off.
I was talking about the early 1600's, not mid-1400's.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM

8,075 posts, read 5,532,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Like for a holiday but love...
I'd go crazy in sunshine and blue skies all year long. I have a friend from L.A. who has been in Vancouver for 3 months for work. He used to live here 30 years ago and has visited a few times since, but always in summer.
He is loving the autumn weather, rain and all, and actually said he misses it. It gets to be like groundhog day in SoCal sometimes.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:51 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I was talking about the early 1600's, not mid-1400's.
Impossible Portugal didn't have a separate foreign policy during that time due to the dynastic crisis of 1578. Following the battle of Ksar El Kebir which resulted in the death of King Sebastian(who did not have an heir) the Iberian Union was formed. Unfortunately the Philips( II, III an IV) became the ruling Monarchs of the crowns of Portugal, Castile and Aragon and thus began the decline of Portugal. Resources talent and knowledge were siphoned to favor the crown of Castile. Phillip the IV had every intention of turning Portugal into a backwater province but he clearly underestimated the Portuguese independent character thus resulting in the separation of the union in 1640.

Phillp II was the grandson of Manuel I King of Portugal and the Algarves through Isabella Infanta of Portugal.

Last edited by AFP; 10-28-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Impossible Portugal didn't have a separate foreign policy during that time due to the dynastic crisis of 1578. Following the battle of Ksar El Kebir which resulted in the death of King Sebastian(who did not have an heir) the Iberian Union was formed. Unfortunately the Philips( II, III an IV) became the ruling Monarchs of the crowns of Portugal, Castile and Aragon and thus began the decline of Portugal. Resources talent and knowledge were siphoned to favor the crown of Castile. Phillip the IV has every intention of turning Portugal into a backwater province but he clearly underestimated the Portuguese independent character thus resulting in the separation of the union in 1640.

Phillp II was the grandson of Manuel I King of Portugal and the Algarves through Isabella Infanta of Portugal.
Okay then but what if England, Netherlands, France, Austria, Spain and Portugal worked with each other after the Iberian Union was dissolved, how would the world look like?
You don't think those 6 countries could take over the entire world? Keep in mind they wouldn't fight each other.

Last edited by Davy-040; 10-28-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 03:15 PM

You seem to think that the Seven Provinces would've been a part of this Great Game is any case, but Russia, Austria and the Ottoman Empire not?

I think that the Netherlands would've been carved up first.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You seem to think that the Seven Provinces would've been a part of this Great Game is any case, but Russia, Austria and the Ottoman Empire not?

I think that the Netherlands would've been carved up first.
Okay i include Austria but it takes too long to make a map again

I don't think the expanding Russia (Slavics) and Ottoman Empire (Muslims) would be part of this great game also because of their location they would probably be the first target for the United Western European Countries (Germanic/Latin Christians).

In the 1500's sure but not in the 1600's, we made better ships and trades than any other country in the world in that century. Why do you think many foreigners like Peter Alexeyevich ("The Great") came to study in the Netherlands? Your underestimating the power of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World