Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:14 PM

280 posts, read 339,378 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is a country within any tropical zones in the world that has developed, probably only Singapore if you count that as a country, but it's more a city state?

Why can't these countries develop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
All of them, except Thailand I guess, were colonized at some point and when the Europeans left, they left them in shambles and forced to find their own way after being denied self determination for hundreds of years. That's my theory

Old 10-30-2016, 04:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
All of them, except Thailand I guess, were colonized at some point and when the Europeans left, they left them in shambles and forced to find their own way after being denied self determination for hundreds of years. That's my theory
The colonial systems were created and implemented to exploit, take advantage of the local populations, dehumanize them, and to leech as much as possible. At the same time, colonial powers were creating an exclusive global economy that they controlled, excluding ex-colonies and saddling them with debt when many were trying to become independent.

Nowadays those same systems are used, but to benefit the local populations who are descendants of the colonizers. They haven't changed because the nepotism and corruption are embedded within the highly bureaucratic national laws, which are to their benefit. They are still also trying to fit into the global economy.

I believe that unless those laws are changed and unless the local ex-colony culture changes, nothing in these countries will change, unfortunately. Change is very slow, and takes ALOT of time to trickle up.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
The nearest is probably Malaysia.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Colonialism is certainly a big part of that story. It's notable that there are some fairly well developed tropical countries, like Brazil, Panama, Malaysia and the Bahamas. They may not be all the way there yet, but it's in now way inconceivable that these countries will provide similar economic opportunities to other countries considered to be developed countries today in the near future (places like South Korea, Italy etc.)

Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Malaysia is fully developed and surprised on that when I recently went there. Taiwan is in the tropics as well and fully developed.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Malaysia is fully developed and surprised on that when I recently went there. Taiwan is in the tropics as well and fully developed.
Malaysia is not developed. It's corrupt af and poorer than the poorest EU member states. Besides the distribution of wealth is horrible, with its Chinese minorities holding the majority of it. The crime rate is extremely high as well. KL looks decent, but that's about it.

Taiwan is not in the tropics, it's just really hot. The majority of the island is located north of the Tropic of Cancer.

The answer is Singapore.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
I don't think there is a country within any tropical zones in the world that has developed, probably only Singapore if you count that as a country, but it's more a city state?

Why can't these countries develop?
Taiwan has done a pretty good job. Ecuador was going full speed ahead under President Correa (in spite of a lot of opposition orchestrated by the US), until the bottom dropped out of world oil prices.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Taiwan has done a pretty good job. Ecuador was going full speed ahead under President Correa (in spite of a lot of opposition orchestrated by the US), until the bottom dropped out of world oil prices.
Taiwan is Sub-Tropical.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World