Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:55 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times

Advertisements

Both countries are secular. Why would it be a surprise that the US is more religious? People came to America to escape religious persecution and exercise their respective religions as they deemed suitable for themselves.

For the record, I am an agnostic, but I certainly respect other people's religious views as long as they keep them "in house". Atheist zealots are as crazed as theist zealots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Furthermore, we have had a large influx of Latin Americans over the past 20 - 30 years. By and large, they are practicing Catholics.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:31 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
I would say the U.K. Because the US is a really big place. We have the Bible Belt and middle America that are extrememly religious areas and make up a big portion of the house and senate in Washington, as well as a good portion of the population in general.

However, if you compare the big cities, for example NY vs London, I think they'd be about equal.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM

92 posts, read 87,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I would say the U.K. Because the US is a really big place. We have the Bible Belt and middle America that are extrememly religious areas and make up a big portion of the house and senate in Washington, as well as a good portion of the population in general.

However, if you compare the big cities, for example NY vs London, I think they'd be about equal.
Thanks for answer. Could you suggest me cheapest and most secular states/cities in US ?

What do you guys think about Cleaveland ,OH and Pittsburgh,PA ?

Old 11-15-2016, 12:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Although the UK has a state church, the general mindset people have is more secular. Americans are significantly more enthused about ensuring religion has a strong presence in society.
My understanding is that very few people attend Anglican religious services and that many congregations struggle to survive. I live in an area where there are many British expats and those from England seem to feel that religion plays very little role in the lives of most people. Articles I have read have quoted the present Archbishop of Canterbury as saying that the Anglican church is likely to be defunct in a generation.

Based on this I would say that religion plays a much bigger role in the lives of a larger percentage of people, and, of course, it is a major hot button U.S. politics. If it weren't for the issue of the place of religion in public life I think the Republican party would have had 1/5 of the number of people vying to be the party's candidate for president.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:20 PM

141 posts, read 133,584 times
Is this one of those many poll on this site which will be drowned and saturated , nay snuffed out of it's very existence ,

By "Homers" ?

Who do you vote for "Americanos" ? lol lol

Old 11-15-2016, 03:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
The UK is more secular. By far.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:54 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
No comparision - in general and re Christianity the UK is much more secular. In Britain if you tell people you go to church, most will think you strange, eccentric - or very old fashioned. Religion is far more about traditon than conviction. In the US, it tends to be an unabashed thing (though regions make a big difference). The number of non-secular followers of say, Islam, in the UK is a different discussion.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
No comparision - in general and re Christianity the UK is much more secular. In Britain if you tell people you go to church, most will think you strange, eccentric - or very old fashioned. Religion is far more about traditon than conviction. In the US, it tends to be an unabashed thing (though regions make a big difference). The number of non-secular followers of say, Islam, in the UK is a different discussion.
Yes, I think the UK and most European countries are way more secular. If anything, religion has only gotten MORE popular in the US and Christians now have a 'victim' mentality that they tie to Right Wing politics.

I went to a Christian women's event with some cousins. It was packed with young teens and twenty something's. The event was very modern, almost hipster. I was quite surprised actually (I'm not Christian) that it was so big and popular with young girls.

I liked the event, until a public speaker thanked God that she was grateful and surprised that could still practice her religion in this country under the current government, and hoped that her rights to praise God weren't 'taken away.' WTH? This reminded me why I don't like Christian churches and denominations....

Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
As a Christian I don't understand what is up with the imaginary "War on Christmas". The government, Hollywood and all aspects of life is saturated with the bible. The fact that most Children don't go to school on Sunday shows how important Christianity is in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World