U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM

1,972 posts, read 555,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not all muslims are the same. Muslims, like Jews and Christians have different " orthodoxy " for lack of a better word.

Do I get worried because people name their children after Christian saints? Should I?
Of course not. Even at the most basic level, most people know this. They're not all Wahhabists, but as I've noted before, it's not fear of terrorism that is most concerning or even a little concerning to me. It's a pervasive lack of tolerance and giving that lack of tolerance the power to vote. Liberals fought so hard for gay marriage, abortion rights, women's rights, etc. That could all be wiped out if trends continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 PM

7,973 posts, read 8,561,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Of course not. Even at the most basic level, most people know this. They're not all Wahhabists, but as I've noted before, it's not fear of terrorism that is most concerning or even a little concerning to me. It's a pervasive lack of tolerance and giving that lack of tolerance the power to vote. Liberals fought so hard for gay marriage, abortion rights, women's rights, etc. That could all be wiped out if trends continue.
You make a good point that is why I am so conflicted. But when it comes down to it Muslims born here are as British as me.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 PM

3,740 posts, read 4,548,165 times
Well there are more Muslims that attend Mosques in the UK on Friday compared to the amount of Anglicans in the UK that attend church on Sunday. As typical with other West European countries, the amount of atheists are growing in number, but the amount of Muslims are growing. It seems that even those born in Europe from Muslim parents are more likely go grow up very religious compared to those of Christian backgrounds. Even though stats show that Europe is becoming more secular.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:31 PM

7,973 posts, read 8,561,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well there are more Muslims that attend Mosques in the UK on Friday compared to the amount of Anglicans in the UK that attend church on Sunday. As typical with other West European countries, the amount of atheists are growing in number, but the amount of Muslims are growing.
Soooooo? What do you suggest we convert back to catholicism or deport British citizens who believe in Muhammad? Here's an idea however far out ........ let's try and find a way to live in peace and harmony and help the cohesion of society. ''Wait shut up you commy liberal, Merica **** yeah''

And let me be clear I am not a supporter of Islam and it's doctrine but we can't stop people following it.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 PM

3,347 posts, read 1,956,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
This assumes that the children of immigrants won't assimilate, or go secular like their peers. Up here I see most Muslim kids around here doing pretty much what their peers are doing. I have no reason to think U.S. Muslim kids do otherwise. Besides, there are many blacks in the U.S. who have been practising the faith for quite some time now. How socially conservative are they? I don't get the impression that they're particularly reactionary on those issues.

As for Muslim immigrant kids, this is what I see: Blending in with their peers. On their cell phones doing Snapchat, listening to hiphop (or whatever else), going to the mall... once they're in their 20s and 30s and out working, they'll move around for career, marriage, better weather, or lifestyle, just like other Americans do... that breaks down generational ties too. They'll assimilate and blend into the Yankee Doodle melting pot like other immigrants.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,802,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Whatever, I have no problem with anyone coming into my country as long as they abide by the law, which is the vast majority of them. I do however have a big problem with small-minded, childish bigots who get their news from Fox.

Now shouldn't you be more worried about what game you're going to purchase next?
This thread isn't about whether they follow the law or not, its about which country is more secular and the UK has a growing Muslim population even if the Christian population is shrinking. Fact.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,802,009 times
Quote:
It's the fastest growing because Christianity is on the wane in the UK which is becoming increasingly more secular. And Mohammed is popular because Islam likes to honour its prophet and a large percentage of males have some variation of it as a first or second name, plus there is a far greater variety of native English Christian names (or names derived from elsewhere). And European culture is strong enough to absorb a small percentage of other cultures without losing too much of its own. It seems that some Americans so want Europe to fall to "teh nasty muslems" to feel better about themselves. It's not going to happen, you'll have to feel your schadenfreude some other way.

BTW, and this is for the Xboxchild too, where I live in a leafy, North London suburb, most of the people identifying as muslim are of Turkish descent. And guess what? They are normal, happy, hard-working folk just like you and I.
You seem to be very ignorant and yours and paull805's best comeback seems to be "Stay away from Fox News!" It doesn't take watching Fox News to notice a trend.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 AM

942 posts, read 608,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
You seem to be very ignorant and yours and paull805's best comeback seems to be "Stay away from Fox News!" It doesn't take watching Fox News to notice a trend.
Ignorant? Me? FFS, you're the one posting ill-informed crap with nothing to back it up with. Paul805 and myself are posting form our own experience of living in this country. Are you even bothering to read our posts?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 AM

942 posts, read 608,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
This assumes that the children of immigrants won't assimilate, or go secular like their peers. Up here I see most Muslim kids around here doing pretty much what their peers are doing. I have no reason to think U.S. Muslim kids do otherwise. Besides, there are many blacks in the U.S. who have been practising the faith for quite some time now. How socially conservative are they? I don't get the impression that they're particularly reactionary on those issues.

As for Muslim immigrant kids, this is what I see: Blending in with their peers. On their cell phones doing Snapchat, listening to hiphop (or whatever else), going to the mall... once they're in their 20s and 30s and out working, they'll move around for career, marriage, better weather, or lifestyle, just like other Americans do... that breaks down generational ties too. They'll assimilate and blend into the Yankee Doodle melting pot like other immigrants.
Good post!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 AM

1,270 posts, read 320,217 times
Quote:
Well, I did say "some" and I don't necessarily include you among them, despite my post being in response to yours, but I do find a weird attitude from some Americans (not just on here) lamenting the fall of European identity while at the same time feeling rather smug about it.

I wouldn't call the populations of the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc, particularly small, and these countries have very strong cultural identities which aren't going to be diminished anytime soon.

Oh, and my head certainly isn't in the sand. I've lived in London in all but one of my forty-plus years on this planet and I speak through my day-to-day experience of living in this vibrant, fascinating city. We are NOT being overrun by terrorists forcing us to adopt Sharia law, however much some of you would like to believe so. End of.
Bobcat

I've heard the same idiotic panic about the destruction of European identity in the hands of Americans, the pervasive effects of the CocaCola. I have heard the same idiotic panic about the destruction of Spain at the had of impious European masons controlled by a judeo-masonic and liberal conspirators.

The same crap directed at uneducated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World