Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:48 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,240,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not a Fox News viewer. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK and as a religious group, the youngest. The most common name for newborn boys in the UK is Mohammad if you allow for the various spellings of the same name. What does that indicate for the future? It's a shame that Europeans will happily whistle past the graveyard as their culture gets eroded.
It's the fastest growing because Christianity is on the wane in the UK which is becoming increasingly more secular. And Mohammed is popular because Islam likes to honour its prophet and a large percentage of males have some variation of it as a first or second name, plus there is a far greater variety of native English Christian names (or names derived from elsewhere). And European culture is strong enough to absorb a small percentage of other cultures without losing too much of its own. It seems that some Americans so want Europe to fall to "teh nasty muslems" to feel better about themselves. It's not going to happen, you'll have to feel your schadenfreude some other way.

BTW, and this is for the Xboxchild too, where I live in a leafy, North London suburb, most of the people identifying as muslim are of Turkish descent. And guess what? They are normal, happy, hard-working folk just like you and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:01 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,690,445 times
Quote:
The most common name for newborn boys in the UK is Mohammad if you allow for the various spellings of the same name.
Actually it's Oliver. On second place is Jack. But whatever fuels your paranoia.

BTW, I have some land to sell in Florida. I think you're a suitable customer.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
It's the fastest growing because Christianity is on the wane in the UK which is becoming increasingly more secular. And Mohammed is popular because Islam likes to honour its prophet and a large percentage of males have some variation of it as a first or second name, plus there is a far greater variety of native English Christian names (or names derived from elsewhere). And European culture is strong enough to absorb a small percentage of other cultures without losing too much of its own. It seems that some Americans so want Europe to fall to "teh nasty muslems" to feel better about themselves. It's not going to happen, you'll have to feel your schadenfreude some other way.

BTW, and this is for the Xboxchild too, where I live in a leafy, North London suburb, most of the people identifying as muslim are of Turkish descent. And guess what? They are normal, happy, hard-working folk just like you and I.
I'd say that most Americans don't want Europe to lose its cultures. Many of the populations are relatively small and thus the cultures more easily influenced than you might care to acknowledge. I used to keep my head in the sand too, but life taught me otherwise.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,240,640 times
Quote:
I'd say that most Americans don't want Europe to lose its cultures. Many of the populations are relatively small and thus the cultures more easily influenced than you might care to acknowledge. I used to keep my head in the sand too, but life taught me otherwise.
Well, I did say "some" and I don't necessarily include you among them, despite my post being in response to yours, but I do find a weird attitude from some Americans (not just on here) lamenting the fall of European identity while at the same time feeling rather smug about it.

I wouldn't call the populations of the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, etc, particularly small, and these countries have very strong cultural identities which aren't going to be diminished anytime soon.

Oh, and my head certainly isn't in the sand. I've lived in London in all but one of my forty-plus years on this planet and I speak through my day-to-day experience of living in this vibrant, fascinating city. We are NOT being overrun by terrorists forcing us to adopt Sharia law, however much some of you would like to believe so. End of.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,340,976 times
UK. Joining a church, temple, etc. in the U.S. is still very much the norm.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,340,976 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that the average American knows much about Slovenian culture, Estonian culture, Albanian culture, Bulgarian culture, etc.... let alone has any concerns about those cultures. Americans think much more about their own state of affairs, and I don't think they're too concerned about American culture either, which seems pretty healthy.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 15,398,857 times
Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not a Fox News viewer. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the UK and as a religious group, the youngest. The most common name for newborn boys in the UK is Mohammad if you allow for the various spellings of the same name. What does that indicate for the future? It's a shame that Europeans will happily whistle past the graveyard as their culture gets eroded.
Not all muslims are the same. Muslims, like Jews and Christians have different " orthodoxy " for lack of a better word.

Do I get worried because people name their children after Christian saints? Should I?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,777,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm not sure that the average American knows much about Slovenian culture, Estonian culture, Albanian culture, Bulgarian culture, etc.... let alone has any concerns about those cultures. Americans think much more about their own state of affairs, and I don't think they're too concerned about American culture either, which seems pretty healthy.
Right sort of like how the lefties try to label it a Muslim ban...when Indonesia wasn't even one of the banned countries. If you wanted to ban Muslims you would think you'd go after the largest one.

In the mind of lefties?? I guess not. Thus we call it, lefty logic. Or logic that doesn't even make sense to a 5 year old.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:02 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,811,988 times
What is with the constant broad brushing with Americans? There are a plethora of views in between right and left. It is all so tribal.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Gee, thanks for telling me what I know and don't know or what I think or don't think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World