Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 AM

602 posts, read 495,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
And what do you think the citizens would think about this?
For example, a majority of swedes are for monarchy and against both NATO and the Euro.
The republic/monarchy issue is the smallest on the list. Today, the Nordic monarchies are constitutional and hold no true power. In a scenario where we were united, an arrangement could be made where each royal house could keep its titles. If you ask me though, it would be a good opportunity to get rid of those old undemocratic institutions, but oh well.

The main issue on the list as I see it, is the suggestion that Stockholm should become capital. The suggestion alone is an insult to Danes and Norwegians. It will never happen. Oslo would be a lot more acceptable choice at least for Danes, however maybe not for Swedes or Finns.

Euro/NATO – while there is opposition against both organisations, I wouldn’t say it’s unrealistic. For example, before the financial crisis, Danes were pro Euro. And in Sweden and Finland, the topic of joining NATO is almost always present in the media/debate – or at least when your common neighbour is acting more crazy than usual. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ok, if we assume that the Nordic Countries would unite, the core problems would be:

• Republic or Monarchy?
  • If monarchy, what house?
  • NATO or not NATO?
  • EU or not?
  • Euro or krona?
  • Capital?
  • Special treatment to Faroe Islands and Greenland?
  • What is there for Iceland?
What's the point though? Aren't you guys all doing (more than) fine? The borders are completely open and everyone up there only pays by card, it's not like there's any hassle for traveling or working in each country.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What's the point though? Aren't you guys all doing (more than) fine? The borders are completely open and everyone up there only pays by card, it's not like there's any hassle for traveling or working in each country.
I don't see any point, really. I just used it as an example how complicated it would be even for very similar nations. Especially when people said that Argentina and Uruguay cannot join because Uruguay is more "introverted".

Old 12-13-2016, 04:15 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't see any point, really. I just used it as an example how complicated it would be even for very similar nations. Especially when people said that Argentina and Uruguay cannot join because Uruguay is more "introverted".
You need to learn to read, I never said they couldn't join because of that difference. I said I wouldn't like to see Uruguayan culture engulfed by a huge country like Argentina.

I actually speak Spanish and spend time in Uruguay often. I love the music, literature and many other things from that country. Have you ever even been there?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 PM

221 posts, read 343,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The countries in the Nordic region are like a middle class neighbourhood. We go to each others houses, we compare and compete against each other at everything, but we won't move in together under the same roof.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:45 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Colombia and Venezuela are countries that shouldn't have split up in the first place. There is a familiarity there that a border just messes with people's heads and creates a division that shouldn't exist. There's always been a fluidity between these two countries, that a border almost doesn't make sense.

I suppose the only saving grace is when one country makes a bad decision, the strength of the other serves as a counterweight. Colombia and Venezuela have never both been in a good position at the same time. Either one has been doing well whilst the other is in a disaster. If both countries achieved a prosperous era at the same time, northern South America would advance really quickly.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You need to learn to read, I never said they couldn't join because of that difference. I said I wouldn't like to see Uruguayan culture engulfed by a huge country like Argentina.

I actually speak Spanish and spend time in Uruguay often. I love the music, literature and many other things from that country. Have you ever even been there?
There are some other differences too, in Uruguay people literally walk everywhere with a thermos and mate, in Argentina you'd never see that. Usually Argentinians don't carry their mate everywhere, or if they do they keep it in a backpack

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are some other differences too, in Uruguay people literally walk everywhere with a thermos and mate, in Argentina you'd never see that. Usually Argentinians don't carry their mate everywhere, or if they do they keep it in a backpack
Argentinian's carry their 'mates' around in their backpacks!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Uruguayans carry their mate in hand.

Argentinians carry their mate in backpacks.

I have never heard of two peoples so incompatible and alien to one another.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:29 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Ivory Coast and Ghana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World