U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 AM

258 posts, read 158,923 times

Advertisements

Thailand and Laos.
Thailand already includes a wide region where the language and the culture is basically Laotian: the Isaan (North-Eastern) region, so why not unite this region with Laos.
Besides, Lao and Thai languages are closely related, and so are the peoples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,616,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
they will after the usa levels them
Well any attack by the US on Russians in Syria can lead to another World War.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:26 AM

161 posts, read 51,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Ironically enough, I think if Puerto Rico were to ever become independent from the United States, there would be a 70% chance that Puerto Rico would try to form sort type of union with another country. As Puerto Rico is very reliant on the US, many have a colonial mindset, if they ever become independent its because of dissatisfaction with the US and no desire to let go of a Hispanic identity. The 2 most likely options of union are:

1. They would try to re-annex themselves as an autonomous region of Spain, their version of a state, similar to the Canary Islands. Some Puerto Rican politicians already show support for this. This would create another "parent-child" type relationship, like Florida and the US as a whole.

2. They would try to unite with Dominican Republic or Cuba. Cuba because of its similar culture and strong military, they are largely seen as 2 wings of the same bird historically, however many Puerto Ricans wouldnt want to have to adjust to Cuba's communist society. Dominican Republic, also because of very similar culture, and geographic proximity, the 2 are literally neighbors. Both countries, have average Caribbean economies, tho would still most likely be better off than a solely independent Puerto Rico. If the Virgin Islands become independent, that may another option towards a union for Puerto Rico, kinda like 2 sons kicked out their parents house and now help each other out. Tho, I think an independent Puerto Rico would most likely unite with Dominican Republic over Cuba or any other country. A union with any of these countries would create more of a partnership or "marriage" , similar to Trinidad and Tobago.
I agree with the 2nd option. The best thing Puerto Rico can do is discontinue any association with the US and unite with the Dominican Republic, as you said before it would be similar to what Trinidad and Tobago got going on. Puerto Rico would only worsen as a US territory obviously, and as a state its unknown what would happen economically but itll definetly lose most its culture very quickly if it ever becomes a state (Congress determines if they can become a state or not, and i dont think it accept a majority non white/mixed race culturally hispanic and very poor territory as a state, even the blackest state mississippi is majority white and the poorest state is no where near as poor as Puerto Rico, congress would likely never accept anytime soon if ever). A union with DR is ideal, as it has a stronger military & economy than a independent PR, as well as very similar culture and very close distance.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 AM

15,696 posts, read 18,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
I agree with the 2nd option. The best thing Puerto Rico can do is discontinue any association with the US and unite with the Dominican Republic, as you said before it would be similar to what Trinidad and Tobago got going on. Puerto Rico would only worsen as a US territory obviously, and as a state its unknown what would happen economically but itll definetly lose most its culture very quickly if it ever becomes a state (Congress determines if they can become a state or not, and i dont think it accept a majority non white/mixed race culturally hispanic and very poor territory as a state, even the blackest state mississippi is majority white and the poorest state is no where near as poor as Puerto Rico, congress would likely never accept anytime soon if ever). A union with DR is ideal, as it has a stronger military & economy than a independent PR, as well as very similar culture and very close distance.
I disagree with this assessment. For starters, you cannot say that PR would lose its Hispanic identity pretty quickly when Hawaii has managed to maintain most of it's Polynesian culture right down to place names and names of wildlife being in the native language. As a Spanish speaking territory, PR wouldn't be too out of place as the US has he second largest number of Spanish speakers in the world after Mexico. Being a state would mean they would have to pay certain taxes their exempt from now but also that they would have representation in congress. Speaking of congress, there is no way of knowing whether or not congress would approve or not. Many in both parties have supported the idea of PR being the 51st state. It is unlikely that PR itself would vote to become a state as that would take away the ease of becoming independent which they now have as well as the trend in the US has been one of disunity.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM

11,549 posts, read 13,236,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
There is already a precedent for a very poor, majority culturally Hispanic state. I live in it.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM

449 posts, read 126,879 times
This topic is a non-issue. The global tendency is countries tend to divide and sub-divide. How many countries have been created in the past half century? At least dozens.

How many countries have been united? I can think of only Germany -- unified at a tremendous cost.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 PM

449 posts, read 126,879 times
Why are countries not keen in unifying the neighbor, or another country with close ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds?

The answer is that unlike 100+ years ago when many countries engaged in empire building, they could plunder the resources of the annexed land, re-divert their economy and enslaved their people, nowadays for most democratic and even authoritarian countries, the first consideration will be after annexing their land, how much extra financial burden can those governments shoulder?

Unless the region is of high strategic importance, i.e. Crimea, otherwise most governments will think thrice.

In fact, every country is scared about the cost involved in the German unification. Considering that former West Germany had one of the strongest economy, former East Germany was only the size of Ohio and East Germany had the strongest economy of Warsaw Bloc, still it imposed a huge burden to the people of former West Germany.

So will people in South Korea love to unite with their poor cousin in the north? Or will the Thai willingly pay the cost of uniting with the Lao?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM

5,434 posts, read 8,633,305 times
Yemen reunified a quarter a century (I think) ago but it's true the results are unconvincing since it's been in a state of quasi perpetual civil war since then.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 AM

1,489 posts, read 553,461 times
I honestly think Colombia should invade Venezuela and give the people there a democratic vote on their government.

This act may allow for the reunification of these two countries at a later date, following a referendum obviously on both sides. The capital city would need to be transferred to Cucuta - not a great city, it's only the 8th most important city in Colombia (would be the 6th in Venezuela) but I think it would do. It can serve as the basis for a planned city in neighbouring Villa Rosario around the symbolic independence monument which is symbolic to both countries.

Dutch guy in Cucuta

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World