U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 AM

5,697 posts, read 9,058,979 times

Advertisements

I don't see why Bielorussia was separated from Russia en 1991. Ah yes , it happened, experts say, "following Stalin's Soviet Constitution". Seriously. So if I understand well the people who took that decision -first and foremost pro-western leader Boris Yeltsin-wanted to abide to Stalin's rules? what the heck ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 AM

3,569 posts, read 1,631,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
They've been saying this for decades. I remember when the currency was 'primed' to go live in 2015. Nope!
They already have a common passport, basically complete open borders between 3 of the countries. They have been working out the details for a couple decades.

They are closer then anyone else to actually unifying. Sure it could all far apart, but no where else on the planet are countries closer to unifying. They had a common currency before and I see no reason why they wouldn't continue and change to their new currency by 2018.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM

3,143 posts, read 3,143,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Why do you think so?

I

If Guatemala had become part of Mexico, it wouldn't have been ruled by military dictatorships for the last century and a half. It wouldn't have had that armed conflict in 70's and 80's. Sure there might have been some social unrest like we have seen in Chiapas and elsewhere in Mexico, but not anything like we saw in 70s and 80s in Guatemala. Chiapas, despite it's poverty is a very laid back place. I have read it is one of the safest states in Mexico. I think Guatemala would have been a lot like Chiapas.

If Guatemala was a Mexican state, it would still be poor but we probably wouldn't see the same levels of extreme poverty that we see in rural Guatemala now. Over the last few decades there has been a demographic explosion in Guatemala and it is happening in the poorest areas. I believe that if Guatemala was a Mexican state, it would probably only have half the population it does now, maybe even a 1/3.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 AM

9,092 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
No with a common currency, more like the European Union type thing with Canada and America.
Never. Canada would cease to be Canada.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 AM

461 posts, read 199,294 times
Uruguay and Argentina

Uruguay, Argentina and South Brazil plus Sao Paulo

Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador

Venezuela and Colombia

Old 11-28-2016, 10:33 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,278,976 times
Argentina & Uruguay
Peru & Bolivia
USA & Canada minus Quebec
Germany & Austria
Sweden & Norway & Denmark
Latvia & Lithuania
Saudí Arabia & Qatar & Arab Emirates & Bahrain

Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM

5,050 posts, read 6,122,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Never. Canada would cease to be Canada.
There are also people in the US who feel this way, so with opposition on both sides of the border it is unlikely. However this is a shame as the benefit of an EU style arrangement for North America would be huge. I personally believe the treaty's creating such an entity could be carefully created to protect sovereignty for both nations all while allowing for the benefit of the free flow of people and goods. Canada and the US are likely the most similar major nations on earth. Theoretically Canada and the USA should have an easier road with an EU type situation than Europe does considering Europe has a more significant cultural difference.

Another even bigger idea is an economic union of all the English speaking world. Imagine the economic power of the U.K., USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand united with. All of these types of ideas are not on the table, the current political trends in the western world are quite nationalistic with Brexit, and Donald trump. Maybe in a decade or so these types of things can be looked at more realistically.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM

23,727 posts, read 15,064,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Sweden & Norway & Denmark
My watch isn't over yet.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46321346-post21.html

Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 AM

9,092 posts, read 6,297,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are also people in the US who feel this way, so with opposition on both sides of the border it is unlikely. However this is a shame as the benefit of an EU style arrangement for North America would be huge. I personally believe the treaty's creating such an entity could be carefully created to protect sovereignty for both nations all while allowing for the benefit of the free flow of people and goods. Canada and the US are likely the most similar major nations on earth. Theoretically Canada and the USA should have an easier road with an EU type situation than Europe does considering Europe has a more significant cultural difference.

Another even bigger idea is an economic union of all the English speaking world. Imagine the economic power of the U.K., USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand united with. All of these types of ideas are not on the table, the current political trends in the western world are quite nationalistic with Brexit, and Donald trump. Maybe in a decade or so these types of things can be looked at more realistically.
It goes beyond commerce. Canadians and the US have things in common but many things different. Before Canada would even consider a open border type relationship , you guys would have to get your gun issues fixed, allow unhindered access to abortions, get rid of anti LGBTQ laws in states that allow a person to be fired, give paid maternity/paternity leave, have a good universal healthcare plan, truly ban religion in your politics and many more cultural differences., like accepting Quebec and having English and French as official languages.

The pressure US interests would put on Canada, especially if we had the same currency would be huge. Why would we want to give up what we have?

It seems to be an American fantasy that other countries want to join the US when the opposite is true.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 AM

2,150 posts, read 3,430,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It goes beyond commerce. Canadians and the US have things in common but many things different. Before Canada would even consider a open border type relationship , you guys would have to get your gun issues fixed, allow unhindered access to abortions, get rid of anti LGBTQ laws in states that allow a person to be fired, give paid maternity/paternity leave, have a good universal healthcare plan, truly ban religion in your politics and many more cultural differences., like accepting Quebec and having English and French as official languages.

The pressure US interests would put on Canada, especially if we had the same currency would be huge. Why would we want to give up what we have?

It seems to be an American fantasy that other countries want to join the US when the opposite is true.
I agree with what I believe is the spirit of your post (i.e. EU-style union, which is what you were responding to) but I and I'm sure many fellow Canadians would definitely applaud a Schengen-style open border agreement with the US regardless of some of their stupid laws (including non-laws e.g. paid leave). However, given many Americans' homeland security streak, I doubt that will ever happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World