U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

9,106 posts, read 6,303,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I agree with what I believe is the spirit of your post (i.e. EU-style union, which is what you were responding to) but I and I'm sure many fellow Canadians would definitely applaud a Schengen-style open border agreement with the US regardless of some of their stupid laws (including non-laws e.g. paid leave). However, given many Americans' homeland security streak, I doubt that will ever happen.
I am all for fair trade deals. I just don't think giving up our sovereignty with open borders is viable. How long before the US military is insisting THEY be the ones managing all our entry points?

However benign some Americans believe they are, most of the world sees it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 11:51 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,161,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It goes beyond commerce. Canadians and the US have things in common but many things different. Before Canada would even consider a open border type relationship , you guys would have to get your gun issues fixed, allow unhindered access to abortions, get rid of anti LGBTQ laws in states that allow a person to be fired, give paid maternity/paternity leave, have a good universal healthcare plan, truly ban religion in your politics and many more cultural differences., like accepting Quebec and having English and French as official languages.

The pressure US interests would put on Canada, especially if we had the same currency would be huge. Why would we want to give up what we have?

It seems to be an American fantasy that other countries want to join the US when the opposite is true.
I agree with you, I think the Canadian and American mentalities are very different, more so than many people realize. And the US right now is very divided, bi-polar and aggressive. My assumption is that Canadians wouldn't be interested in joining.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:57 AM

3,308 posts, read 2,161,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If Guatemala had become part of Mexico, it wouldn't have been ruled by military dictatorships for the last century and a half. It wouldn't have had that armed conflict in 70's and 80's. Sure there might have been some social unrest like we have seen in Chiapas and elsewhere in Mexico, but not anything like we saw in 70s and 80s in Guatemala. Chiapas, despite it's poverty is a very laid back place. I have read it is one of the safest states in Mexico. I think Guatemala would have been a lot like Chiapas.

If Guatemala was a Mexican state, it would still be poor but we probably wouldn't see the same levels of extreme poverty that we see in rural Guatemala now. Over the last few decades there has been a demographic explosion in Guatemala and it is happening in the poorest areas. I believe that if Guatemala was a Mexican state, it would probably only have half the population it does now, maybe even a 1/3.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, it makes sense. What happened in Guatemala in the 70s and 80s iwas horrendous.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

23,727 posts, read 15,078,316 times
Well, if Scandinavia is united and Finland is left alone in the cold like some have proposed, how about Canada and Finland joining?

Old 11-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, if Scandinavia is united and Finland is left alone in the cold like some have proposed, how about Canada and Finland joining?
That's interesting

Old 11-28-2016, 12:22 PM

3,143 posts, read 3,146,224 times
Greenland should join Canada.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I agree with you, I think the Canadian and American mentalities are very different, more so than many people realize. And the US right now is very divided, bi-polar and aggressive. My assumption is that Canadians wouldn't be interested in joining.
...and I forgot mandatory vacation laws, severance pay laws and how public schools are funded and higher education being cheaper

Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Greenland should join Canada.
No offence to Greenland/Denmark, but what advantage would it give Canada?

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM

3,143 posts, read 3,146,224 times
Quote:
No offence to Greenland/Denmark, but what advantage would it give Canada?
Party pooper.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM

2,510 posts, read 907,436 times
Quote:
...and I forgot mandatory vacation laws, severance pay laws and how public schools are funded and higher education being cheaper
And taxes. Keep your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World