U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM

10,301 posts, read 4,242,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Best USA....I like the USA but best dressed they are not.

I was just in the US on tuesday and shopping at Walmart and Big K,
most shoppers were dressed worse than me, and that's saying something

Maybe on Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills or The Hamptons but not at Walmart in Buffalo
It depends on the part of the US honestly. If you go to Manhattan, everyone is gonna be dressed nice and professional. If you go to Ohio or Iowa however, you will see that dressing well is not exactly a priority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:06 PM

1,493 posts, read 3,792,417 times
You go to affluent parts of certain big US cities and there are plenty of well-dressed types. But yes, as a whole, Americans wear ill-fitting, mismatching, sloppy clothing. Athletic attire galore. Conservative dressing styles coast to coast. Overly bright colored clothing paired with athletic shoes. Nobody really cares what school you went to or support, you dont have to wear it on your head to toe.

I personally do not find British any better in their dressing. Plenty of fashion mishaps there too. A little more quirky and daring, perhaps than in the US.

I've seen plenty of terribly dressed people in Canada and Australia, too..perhaps it is common among Anglophone countries that Casual (sloppy) comfort reigns supreme.

I do think the French and Spanish (from Spain) dress best in a more understated coordinated manner, in general.

The funny thing with American women of all ages, is that many get dolled up- hair and tons of makeup, jewelry, but then they are wearing sporty attire or clothing of mismatching uncoordinated nature. I've seen this still in the heart of Manhattan and the most affluent parts of Dallas and California.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM

1,493 posts, read 3,792,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It depends on the part of the US honestly. If you go to Manhattan, everyone is gonna be dressed nice and professional. If you go to Ohio or Iowa however, you will see that dressing well is not exactly a priority
You have a great looking guy or gal, professionally dressed in business attire..then you look down at their feet and they're wearing athletic shoes. I get that it is because they are walking for many city blocks in Manhattan, but it still puts a smile on my face.

Only in America.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:37 PM

815 posts, read 292,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Best USA....I like the USA but best dressed they are not.

I was just in the US on tuesday and shopping at Walmart and Big K,
most shoppers were dressed worse than me, and that's saying something

Maybe on Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills or The Hamptons but not at Walmart in Buffalo

You were shopping in Wal-mart and Big K and expected to see people dressed nicely?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 PM

3,488 posts, read 1,869,903 times
Italians are near the top.

USA is pretty bad and not just in Walmart.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 PM

29,567 posts, read 45,360,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Best: USA,
Lol ... just lol!!!
Do you travel? Like... outside USA???
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-04-2017, 07:52 PM

29,567 posts, read 45,360,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
You have a great looking guy or gal, professionally dressed in business attire..then you look down at their feet and they're wearing athletic shoes. I get that it is because they are walking for many city blocks in Manhattan, but it still puts a smile on my face.

Only in America.
Not only that. I also noticed some nice, even expensive clothing people put on right out of a dryer....
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM

628 posts, read 343,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Best: Spain (not overdressed like some Europeans; very good at mixing casual with elegant at the same time; not overly flashy; more common to see women in comfortable shoes that are still stylish as compared to other European countries)

Worst: USA (aside from a few major cities, too much of the country dresses like dads--dad shoes, dad socks, dad golf shirts, dad shorts/khakis; Polo/Vineyard Vines everything; only Sperry's and Nike Roshes; redneck jorts; white running shoes with white knee high socks scrunched down; women with black dyed hair underneath and bleach blonde on top; frumpy and ill-fitting/too loose sweatshirts and jeans on both sexes)
I am from USA and totally understand. Working out is one thing, but not out in public. I have over 200 dresses and close with the shoes. Do not understand why people dress down. I have visited Europe and even the airline crew look like supermodels.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 PM

1,753 posts, read 905,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I am from USA and totally understand. Working out is one thing, but not out in public. I have over 200 dresses and close with the shoes. Do not understand why people dress down. I have visited Europe and even the airline crew look like supermodels.
I don't understand why people would have 200 dresses and pairs of shoes. I wear jeans and a t-shirt nearly every day because it is comfortable, durable and versatile.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 PM

5,854 posts, read 9,859,794 times
Best:

Japanese
Korean
French
Russian

Worst:

American
Canadian
Mexican
Brazilian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World