U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:34 PM

37 posts, read 17,838 times

Advertisements

I saw a crap ton of Colombians at the Teotihuacan pyramids.

I mean an actual tour bus with like 120 people pulled in and it was nothing but Colombians. And in the local restaurants where u eat Aztec pre-hispanic food, the waiter told us Colombians are very common looking to eat those foods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Aesthetically speaking Mexico City is no worse than a great deal of Los Angeles, I agree. They actually share a common denominator. But I can see where this conversation is heading to
Fact is if you're saying this.... it's because you have NEVER SET FOOT in Mexico City!

From your IGNORANCE and American influenced prejudice you're just imagining a bigger Tijuana!!!

Mexico city old town for example is miles and miles of Colonial fancy palaces built by the Spaniards, the Hapsburgs, the French!!!

You can go have a coffee in a French palace with a extraordinarily lobby near the city center and you actually feel like you're in old France!!!

Then head to Polanco, Roma and it's miles and miles of modern architecture and opulent wealth that makes Beverly Hills look like crap!!!!

If you're looking for street markets, color, noise, good food, there are parts of the megalopolis who offer that too.

YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS PLANET WHO THINKS Mexico City IS NOT EYE CATCHING!!!

A city like that WILL NOT LEAVE ANYONE INDIFFERENT!

Old 12-18-2016, 02:41 PM

Los Angeles is a giant suburbia, sterile and its concept of culture is hollywood walk of fame and beach surfing!

Mexico City has 13 metro lines, suburban trains, public transportation galore..... you have areas in Mexico City where you feel like you're in an area with extreme opulence and areas that are extremely bohemian, other areas feel so pre-hispanic and aztec.

Go to Coyoacán is REAL BOHEMIAN, not USA white hipsters from Iowa which is what Americans call bohemian.... in Coyoacán you actually see REAL ARTISTS and enormous colonial homes with colorful tree lined streets with museums coffee shops and it goes for miles and miles!!!

JUST TRAVEL PEOPLE, LESSS Internet forums AND MORE TRAVELING!

Old 12-18-2016, 05:55 PM

11,996 posts, read 6,055,854 times
I agree MC is underrated. The climate is fantastic, it's inexpensive, there's a nice middle wealthy class, extensive metro, crime is lower than most people recognize and it's a fun city.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:57 PM

367 posts, read 217,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
I must not be in the same Mexico City.

buildings are stunning!

much better than buildings in Los Angeles, Chicago and many more American cities. WAY BETTER!

tap water? dude this is 2016

OMG this is surrealistic

and yet these people are posting on city data "World" forums!

but all I see it's stupid people completely influenced by the prejudice of America towards Mexico, Hollywood stereotypes.

Honestly, if you have not been here, just shut up and at least allow people to open your mind!
That's part of it. Most people associate Mexico with vacation spots that offer a beach and views of the oceans. They tend to skip the 'art cities' of the interior nor do they consider its culture and history interesting enough to make the trip for those reasons alone. Mexico city is a sprawling city of 20+ million people; seems pretty daunting place to take on when you're trying to chill out on vacation. I'm intrigued, though. So maybe I'll check it out.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:32 AM

16,523 posts, read 18,856,877 times
Mexico City is one of the most underrated major cities in the world. It's a megacity that's highly developed with pretty good infrastructure, a surfeit of historical and cultural sights, multiple distinctive neighborhoods with their own traditions, nestled in a pretty interesting city. I think it suffers from being the capital of a country that has been riven by crime, though it itself doesn't have nearly the same appalling crime rates as the parts of the country that do make the news. It also has some air pollution issues that does place a dampee on things sometimes, though nothing in the league of Indian, Indonesian or Chinese megacities.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:43 AM

2,033 posts, read 589,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Mexico City is one of the most underrated major cities in the world. It's a megacity that's highly developed with pretty good infrastructure, a surfeit of historical and cultural sights, multiple distinctive neighborhoods with their own traditions, nestled in a pretty interesting city. I think it suffers from being the capital of a country that has been riven by crime, though it itself doesn't have nearly the same appalling crime rates as the parts of the country that do make the news. It also has some air pollution issues that does place a dampee on things sometimes, though nothing in the league of Indian, Indonesian or Chinese megacities.
Pretty much how I feel. Been awhile since I've been there and would love to go back sometime in the not too distant future. I most definitely could live in MC.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:14 PM

325 posts, read 129,594 times
My favorite city to visit to date. It's truly an awesome city with a lot to see. I feel I cant see everything in one week when visiting this city. I think a lot of people know about this city already, but Americans are going to head to Cancun and those beach resorts more often. This is what Wikipedia states if we can trust that.

"Mexico City is home to the largest population of U.S. Americans living outside the United States. Current estimates are as high as 700,000 U.S. Americans living in Mexico City, while in 1999 the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs estimated over 440,000 Americans lived in the Mexico City Metropolitan Area.[95][96]"

Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM

477 posts, read 545,347 times
I went to Mexico City in October and agree it is very underrated. It's more interesting than almost any other North American city-- there are even a few things New York could learn. However, after two weeks I was more than ready to leave. The pollution, poor planning, traffic, obesity of the populace, overall deterioration, and the great disparity between the few tiny middle-upper class areas and the miles of monotonous concrete housing is wearing. But if it can get its infrastructure together, the city def has the potential to become a top world-class city in the decades to come.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

1,408 posts, read 1,415,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
México City is:

• organically growing without any control or planning
  • unplanned neighbourhoods lacking everything
  • utilities are lacking behind in a 3rd world style. no sewers, no waste management, no electricity
  • no organisation, not enough schools, not enough public transport, no anything
  • no rule of law

Sure, as a wealthy white person you can enjoy the priviledged parts and be amazed, but México City is by km2 one of the largest slums on the planet.
Yes, as it is true for São Paulo, as well as for Bogotá, for Johannesburg, for Manila, for Jakarta. Mexico is not a developed country (as most countries in the world) and huge cities in general have these problems. We cannot expect that the every city in the world should be an answer for Paris or London, and maybe Mexico City does the better possible within the reality of its country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World