U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,260,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
For tourism, I don't think Brazilians are on the radar for Mexico. I believe it's the same vice-versa.

But you are right, they still try to cater to Americans and Canadians. I don't think that will ever change. The proximity and the fact that there are millions of people with money to spend is the magnet.
Not at all; Cancún is a very popular destination for brazilians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 01:54 PM

369 posts, read 442,731 times
MX city is freaking gorgeous...my friend just moved there, she's a chemist, and yes she said the slums make her sad but there is so much "life and color" in that city she has said. And hopes never to return to Italy.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM

15,042 posts, read 17,294,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I went to Mexico City in October and agree it is very underrated. It's more interesting than almost any other North American city-- there are even a few things New York could learn. However, after two weeks I was more than ready to leave. The pollution, poor planning, traffic, obesity of the populace, overall deterioration, and the great disparity between the few tiny middle-upper class areas and the miles of monotonous concrete housing is wearing. But if it can get its infrastructure together, the city def has the potential to become a top world-class city in the decades to come.
Yea, Mexico City has some obvious points to work on. It's amazing for what it has, but incredibly frustrating to see the condition it's in.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 5,907,563 times
No, Mexico City is not the most underrated city in the planet. Sure, Mexico City tends to fly under the radar, maybe that's true, and it probably has much to offer people but there are far more underrated cities in the planet. Cities that typically hold zero brand value among the masses of the planet despite being legit across the board in a spectrum of quality things.

A place like Nagoya and a place like Busan, for example, should easily qualify. These are quality cities, one is a megacity and the other is just 1 million shy of it. They're pretty sophisticated and serious places but in real life, outside of their native country, they hold little brand value and recognition among the planets' masses. They are even greatly overshadowed in their own home countries.

I would say both are more underrated than Mexico City. People at least know Mexico City even if they don't know a great deal about it, they at least know it is Mexico's #1 cultural hub and economic power.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 AM

1,355 posts, read 515,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
I saw a crap ton of Colombians at the Teotihuacan pyramids.

I mean an actual tour bus with like 120 people pulled in and it was nothing but Colombians. And in the local restaurants where u eat Aztec pre-hispanic food, the waiter told us Colombians are very common looking to eat those foods!
lol, Colombia is actually about to surpass Britain (if it hasn't already) as Mexico's 3rd contributors to tourism, only behind the US and Canada.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 AM

3,300 posts, read 1,892,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
lol, Colombia is actually about to surpass Britain (if it hasn't already) as Mexico's 3rd contributors to tourism, only behind the US and Canada.
The last time I was at the pyramids there were alot of young Colombians there. I've also been seeing them interviewed alot on TV when they talk about tourism.

I think there has always been a good relationship between the two countries. My mother is dying to visit Colombia and a cousin of mine just went.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM

3,300 posts, read 1,892,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Not at all; Cancún is a very popular destination for brazilians.
Yeah I do know Cancun is popular for those who can travel outside of the country.

For Brazilian surfers, Puerto Escondido is quite popular. That is where I met the first Brazilian ever, he had a bikini shop there. It was really interesting, he created his own brand and produced Brazilian bikinis in Mexico.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM

1,116 posts, read 464,607 times
I was there on a business trip not long ago. Never thought of it as an underrated city. I've always heard about it. Too big of a city to be underrated.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM

15,042 posts, read 17,294,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
No, Mexico City is not the most underrated city in the planet. Sure, Mexico City tends to fly under the radar, maybe that's true, and it probably has much to offer people but there are far more underrated cities in the planet. Cities that typically hold zero brand value among the masses of the planet despite being legit across the board in a spectrum of quality things.

A place like Nagoya and a place like Busan, for example, should easily qualify. These are quality cities, one is a megacity and the other is just 1 million shy of it. They're pretty sophisticated and serious places but in real life, outside of their native country, they hold little brand value and recognition among the planets' masses. They are even greatly overshadowed in their own home countries.

I would say both are more underrated than Mexico City. People at least know Mexico City even if they don't know a great deal about it, they at least know it is Mexico's #1 cultural hub and economic power.
People in the Americas know of Mexico City to varying extents, and that's about it. Elsewhere, people will have heard of Mexico the country, but won't know about Mexico the city. I agree that it's underrated, though Nagoya is decently well known throughout East Asia and in parts of South America which makes sense as it's an industrial powerhouse and a large metropolitan area. It has, to me, a really cute Chinese name. I feel it's more underrated not so much because people haven't heard of it so much as people who do know of it tend to be kind of disparaging of the place, including Nagoyans themselves.

I'm not sure why you feel Busan should be placed in the same kind of footing as Nagoya. Do you have some personal connection to Busan? I'm curious as to what you see there--is it worth a quick jaunt over from Seoul?

Mexico City is not very well known given that it is also an industrial powerhouse, capital of one of the larger and more populous countries in the world, and one of the largest megacities in the world. It is highly underrated in that respect as well as some people's perception of the place.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-12-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 5,907,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not sure why you feel Busan should be placed in the same kind of footing as Nagoya. Do you have some personal connection to Busan? I'm curious as to what you see there--is it worth a quick jaunt over from Seoul?
It's up to each person to decide that on their own.

I can only speak for myself since I know myself best, for me it is no question. If I were visiting South Korea and was given the opportunity and time to make my way to Busan, I would do it with no hesitations. Then again, I'm a "city collector" and what I mean by that is that I like to see as many cities as I possibly can at least once. If it's a noteworthy experience, I plan to go back, if it's not then I don't intend on going back.

Yes, I do have some personal connections to Busan, South Korea and most of Asia in general. I've been watching a lot of South Korean media and film over the years, K-Pop, and have become immersed in the culture itself. The latest film actually being "Train to Busan" some months ago. In general though, I tend to play favorite with Asia, the entirety of it, as well as Europe. Both continents check all the boxes on my list for what I look for in a city and resoundingly so.

What I like about Busan is that it is a large metropolis (over 9 million), occupies the largest beach in South Korea (Haeundae Beach), bisected by some of the most rugged terrain any city could have, is a vibrant city with a long after night scene and plenty of options for food and coffee. The bar scene in Busan appears to be exceptional as well. The city is massive, feels towering, and is structurally very dense. If it were in America it would be top two in America for both human population weighted density and structural density, along with New York. The Busan subway system is exceptional, as are the other core infrastructural pillars in the city (the roads, the sidewalks, the airport system, so on). The food scene is exceptional too and the mix of seafood looks to be stellar as well. It's also an easy city to like, has all the things you want out of a big city; vibrant, active, amenities, shopping, sites to see, night scene, developed food scene, and some depth in cultural institutions as well. The outdoor recreation options around the city and in the city are otherworldly as well. It's located in a great and advanced country and embodies a great and advanced society. It's also not a "rough" city by any means whatsoever, which is much to my liking.

Busan, South Korea (all credit for the photography will be given to the designated picture takers following each picture):

https://theribsmithandthewordsmith.f...139.jpeg?w=748

Credit to IWillWander: http://www.iwillwander.com/wp-conten...treet-food.jpg

Credit to 123RF: http://previews.123rf.com/images/coz...tock-Photo.jpg

Credit to Ian and Wendy on their travels: http://a404.idata.over-blog.com/3/99...k-13774mid.jpg

Credit to Cut Killavince: http://cutkillavince.com/wp-content/...5_DSC_3690.jpg

Credit to Dennis Chang on Flikr: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8608/2...4e9e0280_h.jpg

Credit to holtscot on Flikr: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/...75dfde69_b.jpg

Credit to Todd Danger Farr on Flikr: https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8723/2...3d2c93f8_h.jpg

Credit to Dennis Chang on Flikr: https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8429/2...4cad9743_h.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World