Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
México City is:

• organically growing without any control or planning
  • unplanned neighbourhoods lacking everything
  • utilities are lacking behind in a 3rd world style. no sewers, no waste management, no electricity
  • no organisation, not enough schools, not enough public transport, no anything
  • no rule of law

Sure, as a wealthy white person you can enjoy the priviledged parts and be amazed, but México City is by km2 one of the largest slums on the planet.
I have actually been to Mexico City and even the poorest parts are nothing like you are describing since most people (even the poor) have access to electricity, public transit, schools, and sewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:57 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
I have actually been to Mexico City and even the poorest parts are nothing like you are describing since most people (even the poor) have access to electricity, public transit, schools, and sewers.
Most people? So not everyone?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM

595 posts, read 719,525 times
Ah Irene

Welcome back!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:11 PM

37 posts, read 42,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Glad that you're enjoying your trip. Traveler's euphoria a beautiful thing, just don't buy any timesharing joints while you're there.

Next year you'll look at the NYC skyline and wonder how on earth you ever compared it to that of Mex, DF.
oh come on NYC is an overrated overruled dump

the mere fact it's racially segregated and inhabited by hipsters from Iowa who kicked the minorities out it's enough for me to never want to go to that dump!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Most people? So not everyone?
Well if you are going to argue on semantics there also people in developed countries (ie US, Canada, New Zealand, etc) that do not have access to public services either especially for people living in remote areas such as Indian reservations/reserves. However nearly everyone in Mexico City (including the poor) does have access to electricity, water, education, etc on some level. The quality might not be the same as in the US or other developed countries (regarding education or water service) but to say that it does not exist is false.

Scenes from Neza: Mexico’s Self-Made City – National Geographic Society (blogs)

Old 12-15-2016, 07:36 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
but to say that it does not exist is false.
And neither have I said that.

edit: now when looking back, actually I did, I just forgot to complete the sentence.

What I meant was that there are areas who lack even the most basic utilities. It was not my intention to claim that the city doesn't have these at all.

Yeah well whatever, the OP exaggerates, so why should not everyone of us?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I think people are starting to pay more attention to Mexico city. Recently I have been hearing more and more about people travelling there.
It's a great place. Lots of green around, trees and parks.

It is underrated.

It has slums, but as if most of the people who bring this up give a sh*t about the people who live in those slums or people who live in poverty in general.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
My dad went there a few years ago for work. He says it was leek living in the U.S except it was more active. Mexico City's crime rates is comparable to many U.S metro's especially southern and Midwestern cities. Take in mind the HDI of Mexico City is (.830), Ariete your from Finland which has a HDI of (.883). Take in Mind Mexico City has a HDI than the majority of Eastern Europe. While it is in Mexico which is dominated by the stories of the Northern and Southern part of the country. The central states are more urban, and generally are a lot safer than Northern and Southern cities. Also Mexico city has very few immigrants crossing the border into the U.S. Again most of those are from Northern or Southern mexico.

Noe Mexico City is nor a haven even if is rich (compared to most countries), it has the GDP of Houston with four times the population. it is still located in a third world country. This means that crime is pretty high and unlike Chicago were crime is small time criminals. Crime is organized in Mexico cartels. Things like carjacking don't happen on a whim. The criminals aren't as idiotic as in the U.S.
If I had to compare it to the descriptions I have heard it is a combination of Turkey and Nigeria. The crime and cesspool look in some areas that is similar to Nigeria, but yet the world class entertainment and borderline "first-world" of Turkey...

TLDR, My point is Mexico City is like the nicest parts of Eastern Europe combined with the crime of a third world country.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:19 PM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Let's see here. From a purely architectural perspective, I would have to agree with some posters saying that Mexico City is far from outstanding. Yes, the city has obvious problems. Overall, it is not particularly eye-catching to say the least, it's fairly unsafe, and tap water can get you really really sick. You cannot bypass that reality. However, the locals can be really lovely, warm people and that makes up for the all the rest. Quickly you will forget about the buildings, but you will never forget the way people made you feel.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:20 AM

37 posts, read 42,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Let's see here. From a purely architectural perspective, I would have to agree with some posters saying that Mexico City is far from outstanding. Yes, the city has obvious problems. Overall, it is not particularly eye-catching to say the least, it's fairly unsafe, and tap water can get you really really sick. You cannot bypass that reality. However, the locals can be really lovely, warm people and that makes up for the all the rest. Quickly you will forget about the buildings, but you will never forget the way people made you feel.
I must not be in the same Mexico City.

buildings are stunning!

much better than buildings in Los Angeles, Chicago and many more American cities. WAY BETTER!

tap water? dude this is 2016

OMG this is surrealistic

and yet these people are posting on city data "World" forums!

but all I see it's stupid people completely influenced by the prejudice of America towards Mexico, Hollywood stereotypes.

Honestly, if you have not been here, just shut up and at least allow people to open your mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World