U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 AM

37 posts, read 14,160 times

Advertisements

I am currently traveling through Mexico City and I am amazed at how cool this city is! Why aren't people flocking to this city?

Not only the city is enormous but it's like 3 or 4 cities in one!

Modern Mexico city is full of skyscrapers and condos, Manhattan got nothing on Polanco, Roma, Condesa! Honestly I was wowed at how elegant, chic, modern the skyscraper part of the city is! It is also very safe! I didn't feel threatened or in danger! Glass towers everywhere, some modern futuristic architecture, elegant high brand stores, enormous shopping malls, top notch restaurants, everyone elegantly dressed.

You also have working class Mexico City, the more stereotypical part.... this area of the city will be full of colorful local characters, there is that roughness that comes with giant cities (looking at you NYC). Street food is everywhere and it's delicious and dirt cheap! At 3am we were driving around a seedy part of the city and it has street markets with music, food stands, art stands, this is 3am on a Tuesday!

You also have colonial European looking Mexico City with old palaces and European style architecture built by the French and the Spanish. You can have coffee at one of those enormous lobbies in one of the many buildings built by Europeans 500 years ago and feel like you're in Paris!

You also have pre-colonial Mexico City, with pyramids, aztec art, museums, you can even eat Aztec food (which is very different from Mexican modern food), floating gardens build by the Aztecs!

Everywhere you turn there is music, color, people, something happening that will wow you!

I see gay and lesbians kissing holding hands and no one cares, I am a foreigner and stand out and no one cares either!

The city is not as dangerous as the media makes it out to be, in fact the crime rate is lower than Washington DC and it's extremely cheap!!

https://www.google.com.mx/search?cli...L-7R8AeUy7mgBA

There are very few tourists as well. I don't know if the city doesn't advertise itself, or perhaps the stupid reputation the city got but I am surprised there are so few tourists on a city that virtually will blow people's minds!

To me this is by far the most underrated city on the planet! You could virtually spend a month here and not see half of the city!

Last edited by Annuck; 12-15-2016 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:41 AM

22,779 posts, read 13,337,960 times
México City is:

• organically growing without any control or planning
  • unplanned neighbourhoods lacking everything
  • utilities are lacking behind in a 3rd world style. no sewers, no waste management, no electricity
  • no organisation, not enough schools, not enough public transport, no anything
  • no rule of law

Sure, as a wealthy white person you can enjoy the priviledged parts and be amazed, but México City is by km2 one of the largest slums on the planet.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:25 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,829,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
México City is:

• utilities are lacking behind in a 3rd world style. no sewers, no waste management, no electricity
  • no rule of law

Sure, as a wealthy white person you can enjoy the priviledged parts and be amazed, but México City is by km2 one of the largest slums on the planet.
So because those problems exist in parts of the city, we should ignore the good aspects of the city?

Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,829,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
I am currently traveling through Mexico City and I am amazed at how cool this city is! Why aren't people flocking to this city?
I think people are starting to pay more attention to Mexico city. Recently I have been hearing more and more about people travelling there.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:42 PM

7,954 posts, read 5,450,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I think people are starting to pay more attention to Mexico city. Recently I have been hearing more and more about people travelling there.
Me too. I know my grandparents travelled there in the 1970's but the only thing I remember them talking about was a fantastic museum.

Now, it seems I know several people who have travelled there in the last two years and have raved about it.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:03 PM

429 posts, read 208,755 times
Quote:

this proves you are just making up about a city you don't know.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:10 PM

37 posts, read 14,160 times
Quote:
México City is:

• no rule of law

what? Where? I've been all over the city and have no seen this yet.
It's your loss, this is an amazing city

Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM

22,779 posts, read 13,337,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
this proves you are just making up about a city you don't know.
I am not. The slums of México City are among the largest in the world, and most of these lack all or some of these utilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So because those problems exist in parts of the city, we should ignore the good aspects of the city?
Of course not, but I cannot personally ignore the fact that it has some of the most hideous conditions for a part of the people at the same time.

Last edited by Ariete; 12-15-2016 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 05:26 PM

5,616 posts, read 5,907,563 times
LOL.

No.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:28 PM

2,025 posts, read 583,383 times
Glad that you're enjoying your trip. Traveler's euphoria a beautiful thing, just don't buy any timesharing joints while you're there.

Next year you'll look at the NYC skyline and wonder how on earth you ever compared it to that of Mex, DF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World