Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And the people who posted about how different it is here from state to state are right. If I go to a different state, I will tell them where I am from just to prepare them. To let them know that I probably don't know where any of their towns are. If I'm in Florida, to warn them that I'm not used to their warm winter weather. Once, on a cruise, when I said I was from MA, the person I was talking to said, "Well, in that case we'll avoid some topics." We continued to have a great conversation but I'm glad I warned him first to avoid embarrassment and strife.
I've been to 40 states and this plus more are true. This is especially true it seems if you're from California or Texas which seem to have the most distinctive cultures and mindsets.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Not sure but, until I cover every inch of this country, I see little reason to go find out.....lots of those same challenges exist here to be sure but, it's a whole lot less expensive, the water clean, and everyone speaks the same language to varying levels of competency....good enough....
Agree with most of that but you'd be better drinking what passes for beer in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4b3f98af02d5

Old 12-23-2016, 08:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Agree with most of that but you'd be better drinking what passes for beer in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4b3f98af02d5
Your understanding of the US beer market may be in need of an update. Currently, there are over 4,000 breweries in the US, vs 1,300 in Germany. 75% of the US population lives within 10 miles of a local brewery.
High end beers sell for $30 per 750ml bottle.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/i...000-breweries/

Old 12-23-2016, 11:01 PM

245 posts, read 311,233 times
Because it's just a fact that many people DO have strong opinions about "America", if not Americans. As we know, sometimes it can be dangerous in today's world to advertise, but other times it's just unpleasant:

My brother was on a tour bus in France with other "anglos" (Canadians, British, Australians) and said that some of them tried to pick political arguments with him, even though he's not really a political person. They apparently have a chip on their shoulder and relished the opportunity to vent on him.

When I was in Bermuda, I noticed a couple of times that different tour guides unnecessarily took shots at America. Talk about biting the hands that feed you.

In Canada we took a river rapids tour near Niagara Falls and the tour guides started bragging about the War of 1812 when the Canadians and British pushed back the "American invaders" who wanted to conquer Canada. It seemed like major stretch to include that factoid in the tour.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:49 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Because it's just a fact that many people DO have strong opinions about "America", if not Americans. As we know, sometimes it can be dangerous in today's world to advertise, but other times it's just unpleasant:

My brother was on a tour bus in France with other "anglos" (Canadians, British, Australians) and said that some of them tried to pick political arguments with him, even though he's not really a political person. They apparently have a chip on their shoulder and relished the opportunity to vent on him.

When I was in Bermuda, I noticed a couple of times that different tour guides unnecessarily took shots at America. Talk about biting the hands that feed you.

In Canada we took a river rapids tour near Niagara Falls and the tour guides started bragging about the War of 1812 when the Canadians and British pushed back the "American invaders" who wanted to conquer Canada. It seemed like major stretch to include that factoid in the tour.
That's just little brother syndrome.

I used to get that when living in the UK, but it was more good natured than anything else. The same stuff happens here in the States. Northerners take shots at Southerners, Southerners take shots at Northerners, etc but you'd have to be very thin skinned to let it get to you. It's worldwide. The Italians do it among themselves, the English and the Irish, etc. I've never had it get violent and that's all that really matters.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
This is a question I see over and over and over everywhere

Americans asking:
If I go to X place will I fit in? I am blonde with blue eyes!!

I am black will they look down on me if I go to Y place??

Should I tell people I am an American when I visit so and so??

Why this question?

No one cares (I've been all over the world and most people dont even bother to ask where the strangers they come across come from!!!!)

Much less they care to know if you're an American or not!!

The normal reaction people outside the US have when they meet an American, it's the normal reaction Americans have in NYC when they see a tourist from Canada. Nothing in particular!!!

What makes Americans think their presence and nationality will cause some sort of admiration/reaction on strangers in other countries?
You think only Americans ask questions like these?

Old 12-24-2016, 01:41 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post

This reminds me of when I was at a conference in The Netherlands, and the staff had billeted me with a local person. She kept trying to pick political arguments with me, even though she and I had similar views and values. It was really odd; she was really spoiling for a fight, but we were on the same side of the issues she chose. I couldn't help wondering why she had the expectations she did of what my views would be. She picked some fairly obscure issues.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:19 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
It's not about presenting yourself as Americans

I know your country and you're a racially infatuated nation, most Americans have a very hard time understanding the world beyond the superficial concept of race.... aspects such as culture, history are completely irrelevant to the American experience, US created race labels are truly what defines the way Americans see the world.

This is why questions such as.....
I AM WHITE, WILL I BE SAFE IN MEXICO CITY? pop up often!! (As if Mexico City wasn't full of European, white Americans tourists and even white Mexican people)

Sometimes you see forums with American men asking how the women in Asia will react when they see them because they're white and American! (As if they were expecting people to worship them just because they're white and American), then they go to Asia and get disappointed about the fact Asian women dont throw themselves at them just based on the fact they're white Americans.

Trust me blacks from America do it too.
No, they do not.

Stop lying please.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:08 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,901 times
Because there's a bunch of crackers in the US that rarely travel outside their community. Just like when some Catalan cracker living in a town near Mollerussa decides to go to Madrid....but he thinks they will kill him just by his accent. There are many people like that all around the world.

If the US was a country with many borders, and people travelled more often to different cultures without reading tabloids and mannic telecasters, priests, etc, they would be just like the typical Poppel family.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Because there's a bunch of crackers in the US that rarely travel outside their community. Just like when some Catalan cracker living in a town near Mollerussa decides to go to Madrid....but he thinks they will kill him just by his accent. There are many people like that all around the world.

If the US was a country with many borders, and people travelled more often to different cultures without reading tabloids and mannic telecasters, priests, etc, they would be just like the typical Poppel family.
Is that really necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World