U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,339,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norne View Post
one can simply say "wc", a short for "water closet". Just remember to pronounce it the german way, as ve-tze, not the english way.

One blunder i can think of now, is talking to someone in german about going roller skating and saying "nur vergiss nicht, verhütung mitzubringen". I meant "don't forget to bring protection" of course, but "verhütung" usually refers to means of birth control.
lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:19 AM

2,431 posts, read 3,211,584 times
When I lived in Moscow, I went on a date with a girl I met online. Up until the actual date we communicated via text messages and dating site messages. I used Google translate but for some reason I figured she knew I didn't speak very good Russian at the time. I also thought she was at least conversational with English(a lot of younger Russian women are). That wasn't the case. We meet up and I discover she speaks only a little English. We try to make small talk and I am trying my best to communicate in my basic Russian and I am actually able to get my point across a few times. But, the date only gets more awkward. We got to a restaurant and she pretty much insists on ordering for me. The conversation sort of goes in and out. Finally we go to a movie and the one she wanted to see is sold out so we chose another one, an English film dubbed completely in Russian. No more dates after that, obviously.

One of my best experiences happened recently in Bukhara, Uzbekistan. A ceramic shopkeeper invited me to his place to check out an old wood carving and I had dinner and talked about the history of the city with him. Really cool experience.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM

106 posts, read 14,136 times
Saying chips in America and getting crisps instead of fries.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:32 AM

10,169 posts, read 9,974,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK1 View Post
Saying chips in America and getting crisps instead of fries.
I think 90% of the people in the world say Fries/Chips instead of Crisps when speaking English.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:39 AM

6,077 posts, read 6,393,975 times
[quote=Davy-040;49160314]I think 90% of the people in the world say Fries/Chips instead of Crisps when speaking English.[/QU

australia , new zealand , ireland and uk say crisps , dont know about anywhere else

Old 08-12-2017, 06:42 AM

9,765 posts, read 3,972,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When I first started learning Spanish I learned with Colombian words. Was dating a Colombia and had Colombian friends. Gozar can be used to say just messing around.

I met a Peruvian girl and used gozar with her and in peru it has a different meaning ...lol
It is like cachai. In Chile it means "you get me?" While in Peru it sounds like you wanna f---

Old Today, 08:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 1,339,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
When I first started learning Spanish I learned with Colombian words. Was dating a Colombia and had Colombian friends. Gozar can be used to say just messing around.

I met a Peruvian girl and used gozar with her and in peru it has a different meaning ...lol
In Brazil, never - NEVER - use the word "gozar", unless you are talking with a sexual partner or have extreme intimacy with the person to which you are talking. I cannot tell the meaning here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World