Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Asian language that you like?
Vietnamese 2 8.00%
Khmer 0 0%
Thai 3 12.00%
Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) 6 24.00%
Japanese 12 48.00%
Korean 6 24.00%
Mongolian 2 8.00%
Burmese 2 8.00%
Bhutanese (Dzongkha) 1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times

Advertisements

Why are Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia not on the list? I know it says East Asian but since you included Thai, Khmer, Vietnamese and Burmese, it’s only fair that we complete the list.

I’m not well versed in any of the languages mentioned, but I do like the sound of Japanese a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What is the best sounding language from Eastern Asia? Those languages seems rather underrated and overlooked because of their "sound". Do you have a few favourites, or want to learn a couple of them? Please try to choose two from the poll.
Korean, Japanese, or Taiwanese Mandarin spoken by a young professional newscaster.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Korean, Japanese, or Taiwanese Mandarin spoken by a young professional newscaster.
I didn't know languages in richer countries sound better than developing countries. I am sure you will find Korean sounds bad in North Korea, since Taiwanese Mandarin sounds better.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Taiwanese Mandarin is more "feminine" than mainland Mandarin. However most Taiwanese (even professional broadcasters) merge some sounds and the inventory of consonants and vowels becomes smaller, so it does not sound very "accurate" to those who speak standard Mandarin.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Why are Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia not on the list? I know it says East Asian but since you included Thai, Khmer, Vietnamese and Burmese, it’s only fair that we complete the list.

I’m not well versed in any of the languages mentioned, but I do like the sound of Japanese a lot.
No problem indonesian / malay is not included east asian, but you to go to other forums east asian people specially korean, chinese or japanese will surely not approve or get upset if there are people who try put southeast asian on east asian list . actually the most this is vietnam

the language in indonesia is very different from the east asia language that the language is still original because it Indonesian language has been mixed, especially Indonesia is a former western european colony so much absorb foreign / europe language

Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,303 times
If we exclude all Austronesian languages, I would say that:
Japanese is the best sounding.
Burmese has the most beautiful writting system.
Chinese has the easiest grammar.
Vietnamese is the most "readable" (the only one using the latin script).

Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
I haven't heard most of these languages spoken, so I really can't answer. Most of the Japanese I've heard comes from World War II movies, so I'm used to "hai!" and "banzai!" and not much else. (Not really a fair test of how a language sounds, I know.) Spoken Korean I find generally pleasant. Spoken Mandarin I find sounds kind of harsh to my ears.

As for writing these languages, from the perspective of a Westerner, I'd go for Vietnamese because it uses Latin script, and Korean because it uses an alphabet instead of pictograms, like Mandarin or Japanese. Written Thai looks like scribbles to me, like Arabic. I don't have an opinion on the others.

When Romanized, I find many Japanese words to be very pleasant and melodic. Likewise for some Korean words. Not so much for Mandarin, though.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,260 times
Japanese, it sounds a bit like italian...now learning it. Watashi wa kohi ga hoshi!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,405,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Japanese, it sounds a bit like italian...now learning it. Watashi wa kohi ga hoshi!
When I decided to learn Italian first time they intrigued me easily because most of the words ending with vowels that's common with Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World