Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Anglophone country do you consider "most diverse"?
Australia 5 8.93%
Canada 8 14.29%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 0 0%
United Kingdom 4 7.14%
United States of America 39 69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
One thing worth noting about the United States and the Spanish language is that the Spanish language could very well go the way of German and Italian in a few generations if current trends hold up. Mass immigration from Mexico is over, and recent studies have shown that current Spanish speakers are learning English at a faster rate than previous German and Italian immigrants learned English.
Spanish won't die out because A) it is part of the cultural fabric of the region, B) the US shares a HUGE border with México, C) there are too many family, business and trade ties between the countries.

Too many people focus on the 'new immigrants' and forget about the cultural roots of the Southwest and the economic border ties between the two countries.

What has changed is that bilingualism has grown, and on both sides. US culture and English language has really affected Mexico too. México has been flooded with American products and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fundamentally this is quite true, although of course like most aboriginal groups in the new world the Maori have undergone a high level of acculturation and assimilation that has seriously affected the viability of their culture and lifestyle.
The language isn't in great shape (despite a lot of effort), but the culture isn't going anywhere -it's contemporary and evolving. Not sure what is meant by lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Geography has a huge influence here, as New Zealand is actually a comparatively densely populated country. So Maori have been influenced much more than a lot of Aboriginal groups in more remote locations in Australia.
Not really. Out of the 6 countries on the poll, NZ is only the 4th most densely populated. Out of 248 countries, it is the 202nd most densely populated.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It will decline a good deal for sure. I'm not sure if it will ever completely die out. There are still French speakers in Louisiana; generations after immigration from France stopped. Another difference is that when German and Italians were immigrating here, there was a huge push to assimilate and abandon the old languages. Many Germans even anlicized their names; ("Meüller" became "Miller" for example). They also didn't have TV, newspapers and radio available to them at the same level. Ok, there wasn't any TV really to speak of but you get the idea. They could not get by using German or Italian only in certain areas the way Spanish speakers can today.
I would honestly suggest looking up the history of the Midwest. Large swathes of the region received massive amounts of immigrants, especially Germans, a century or so ago. A study conducted by the University of Wisconsin even found that at the late 19th century/early 20th century 1/3 of the state's population was native German speakers, and that those speakers were so insulated within their own community that about 35% of them still only spoke German by the second generation. The same study couldn't find any Latino communities today in the US with the same stats, and a Pew study found that 92% of second generation Latinos can speak English "very well." By the third generation, less than half of Latinos have the ability to speak Spanish.

While there was a push for assimilation with earlier immigrants, they most certainly did still have their own local newspapers in their native languages. I don't know you think they didn't. Some even still exist today. What they lacked was a national media in the same vein that Latinos have across the US. Still, the US of the early 20th century was not as interconnected as it is today, and a government push for assimilation (especially for Germans thanks to the World Wars) has been replaced by the inability to succeed in America without the English language in the majority of the country. Chicago, for example, still has the second largest foreign born Mexican population in the United States, but good luck landing a white collar job in downtown if you only have the ability to speak Spanish.

Do I think Spanish will completely die out? No, I don't. Hell, German and Italian never completely died out, but they both did become far less common, and there's currently no reason to believe that Spanish won't either. Government sponsored assimilation has been replaced with culturally pushed assimilation.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Spanish won't die out because A) it is part of the cultural fabric of the region, B) the US shares a HUGE border with México, C) there are too many family, business and trade ties between the countries.

Too many people focus on the 'new immigrants' and forget about the cultural roots of the Southwest and the economic border ties between the two countries.

What has changed is that bilingualism has grown, and on both sides. US culture and English language has really affected Mexico too. México has been flooded with American products and culture.
I think people need to live out here to fully grasp what we're saying. There are two mistakes I see repeated when we discuss this; the first is they use the past to try to predict what will happen, not understanding that the German, Italian etc. immigrants were in a completely different situation. The second thing they seem to do is base their assessment on visits or short stays in other parts of the country. Spanish is seen and heard all over the US but it is not a part of the fabric as you said in those places as it is here. I bet most don't know that the current state of New Mexico was given that name almost 300 years BEFORE there was a country called Mexico. The Spanish language in this part of the world predates both the US and Mexico.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

I don't think it'll completely die out, especially since many languages from immigrants a century or so ago still haven't, but it most likely will become far less common. 69% of third generation Latinos are English dominant, and only 47% of third generation Latinos can speak Spanish.
IV. Language Use among Latinos | Pew Research Center

Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I would honestly suggest looking up the history of the Midwest. Large swathes of the region received massive amounts of immigrants, especially Germans, a century or so ago. A study conducted by the University of Wisconsin even found that at the late 19th century/early 20th century 1/3 of the state's population was native German speakers, and that those speakers were so insulated within their own community that about 35% of them still only spoke German by the second generation. The same study couldn't find any Latino communities today in the US with the same stats, and a Pew study found that 92% of second generation Latinos can speak English "very well." By the third generation, less than half of Latinos have the ability to speak Spanish.

While there was a push for assimilation with earlier immigrants, they most certainly did still have their own local newspapers in their native languages. I don't know you think they didn't. Some even still exist today. What they lacked was a national media in the same vein that Latinos have across the US. Still, the US of the early 20th century was not as interconnected as it is today, and a government push for assimilation (especially for Germans thanks to the World Wars) has been replaced by the inability to succeed in America without the English language in the majority of the country. Chicago, for example, still has the second largest foreign born Mexican population in the United States, but good luck landing a white collar job in downtown if you only have the ability to speak Spanish.

Do I think Spanish will completely die out? No, I don't. Hell, German and Italian never completely died out, but they both did become far less common, and there's currently no reason to believe that Spanish won't either. Government sponsored assimilation has been replaced with culturally pushed assimilation.
Check Rosa's and my posts for why this is likely not the case.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Check Rosa's and my posts for why this is likely not the case.
I have, I don't fully agree. Current studies don't agree either. Parts of the border might remain a special case, but contrary to what Fox News likes to tell the country, Latinos aren't bucking the assimilation trend, and they're learning English rapidly and losing the Spanish language also rather rapidly.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Canada definitely likes to think that it is, though I am not sure it is entirely the case. Could be, though.
All of these countries are focussed on different parts of the world, so it's hard to really compare. The Irish and Brits are extremely Euro-centric in outlook and thinking, the US and Canada are far more in tune with the Americas, and Aussies and Kiwis are way more focussed on and interested in the South Pacific and South East Asia.

Europeans often say that Australia is "remote" or "far away", which usually generates a response of "really?" or "from where?" because there are a lot of Asian and Pacific nations close by.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I have, I don't fully agree. Current studies don't agree either. Parts of the border might remain a special case, but contrary to what Fox News likes to tell the country, Latinos aren't bucking the assimilation trend, and they're learning English rapidly and losing the Spanish language also rather rapidly.
Fair enough

Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
The US... not even close....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World