U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM
 
34 posts, read 15,829 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

1. China (some weird landscapes not found elsewhere)
2. Colombia (mountains, deserts, jungles, beaches, glaciers, you name the landscape Colombia has it)
3. Peru (Breathtaking views, the Andes are a sight to behold)
4. New Zealand (Looks like the lord of the rings)
5. USA (has varied landscapes that can be quite impressive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,087 posts, read 1,849,788 times
Reputation: 909
Having now visited South Africa, I would now place it on any list of most beautiful countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
10,405 posts, read 7,256,742 times
Reputation: 5617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Having now visited South Africa, I would now place it on any list of most beautiful countries.
Did you get to Durban? I haven't been to SA, but friends have and I know someone who immigrated to Canada from there, so I've heard and seen photos about it for years.

I met someone once from Durban many years ago, and I hadn't even heard of the place at that time. It looks like that city might be worth a visit. Do you now if it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,355 posts, read 781,551 times
Reputation: 1500
Top 10 Overall (exhibit an exceptional mix of both urban and natural beauty)
1-China (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Xian + Shangri-La, Mount Everest, Jiuzhaigou, Huangshan, Huanglong, Wulingyuan Pinnacles, Li River and Guilin Karst, Tiger Leaping Gorge, Silver Cave, Taklamakan Desert, Hainan)
2-USA (New York, San Francisco, Boston, Washington + Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Denali, Zion, Everglades, Appalachian Mountains, Hawaii, Death Valley, Glacier National Park, Olympic National Park, Rocky Mountains)
3-India (Jaipur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Amritsar, Agra + Himalayas, Kashmir, Valley of Flowers, Amarnath Cave, Andaman and Nicobar Beaches, Tiger Reserves, Aleya Ghost Lights)
4-Italy (Too many beautiful cities to name + Amalfi, Cinque Terre, Alps, Aeolian Islands, Dolomites, Mediterranean Sea, Sicily and Etna, Appennines, Lake District, Mont Blanc)
5-Tanzania (Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam Old Towns + Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti Migration, Great Rift Valley, Kilimanjaro, Maasai Lands, Indian Ocean Beaches, Lake Victoria, Gombe Stream National Park, Ruaha and Kitulo Parks)
6-Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart + Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Outback, Blue Mountains, Queensland Jungles, Pacific Coast Beaches, Tasmania, Wineries)
7-Argentina/Chile (Buenos Aires, Santiago, Salta, Valparaiso, Mendoza + Iguazu Falls, Torres del Paine, Perrito Moreno Glacier, Easter Islands, Lake Country, Atacama Desert, Pampas, Tierra del Fuego)
8-Turkey (Istanbul, Izmir + Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Ararat, Mediterranean Beaches, Black Sea, Bosporus)
9-France (Too many cities to name, but Paris + Mont Blanc, Loire Valley, Lavender Country, Corsica, Alps, Rural Villages)
10-Spain (Too many cities to name, but Barcelona + Canary Islands, Tenerife, Balearic Islands, Costa del Sol, Asturias, Pyrenees, Mediterranean Beaches, Forests of Northern Spain, Ronda Cliffs)

Pound for Pound
1-New Zealand
2-Switzerland
3-Slovenia
4-Croatia
5-Panama
6-Malta
7-Nepal
8-Tajikistan
9-Norway
10-Costa Rica

Under-the-Radar
1-Morocco
2-Iran
3-Romania
4-Peru/Ecuador
5-Bhutan
6-Belize
7-Yemen
8-Laos
9-Iceland
10-Botswana/Namibia

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 03-11-2017 at 11:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 AM
 
6,128 posts, read 2,004,581 times
Reputation: 2243
I think Wales, especially the north, does well on a pound for pound basis. Although I am somewhat biased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
1,087 posts, read 1,849,788 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Did you get to Durban? I haven't been to SA, but friends have and I know someone who immigrated to Canada from there, so I've heard and seen photos about it for years.

I met someone once from Durban many years ago, and I hadn't even heard of the place at that time. It looks like that city might be worth a visit. Do you now if it is?
Yes, Durban is worth a visit. The city itself on street level is not so beautiful, but it's situation on the shore of the Indian Ocean is beautiful as are its beautiful beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 07:52 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
14,617 posts, read 17,434,560 times
Reputation: 10145
Probably China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Cannes
2,159 posts, read 1,141,493 times
Reputation: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Top 10 Overall (exhibit an exceptional mix of both urban and natural beauty)
1-China (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Xian + Shangri-La, Mount Everest, Jiuzhaigou, Huangshan, Huanglong, Wulingyuan Pinnacles, Li River and Guilin Karst, Tiger Leaping Gorge, Silver Cave, Taklamakan Desert, Hainan)
2-USA (New York, San Francisco, Boston, Washington + Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Denali, Zion, Everglades, Appalachian Mountains, Hawaii, Death Valley, Glacier National Park, Olympic National Park, Rocky Mountains)
3-India (Jaipur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Amritsar, Agra + Himalayas, Kashmir, Valley of Flowers, Amarnath Cave, Andaman and Nicobar Beaches, Tiger Reserves, Aleya Ghost Lights)
4-Italy (Too many beautiful cities to name + Amalfi, Cinque Terre, Alps, Aeolian Islands, Dolomites, Mediterranean Sea, Sicily and Etna, Appennines, Lake District, Mont Blanc)
5-Tanzania (Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam Old Towns + Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti Migration, Great Rift Valley, Kilimanjaro, Maasai Lands, Indian Ocean Beaches, Lake Victoria, Gombe Stream National Park, Ruaha and Kitulo Parks)
6-Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Hobart + Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Outback, Blue Mountains, Queensland Jungles, Pacific Coast Beaches, Tasmania, Wineries)
7-Argentina/Chile (Buenos Aires, Santiago, Salta, Valparaiso, Mendoza + Iguazu Falls, Torres del Paine, Perrito Moreno Glacier, Easter Islands, Lake Country, Atacama Desert, Pampas, Tierra del Fuego)
8-Turkey (Istanbul, Izmir + Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Ararat, Mediterranean Beaches, Black Sea, Bosporus)
9-France (Too many cities to name, but Paris + Mont Blanc, Loire Valley, Lavender Country, Corsica, Alps, Rural Villages)
10-Spain (Too many cities to name, but Barcelona + Canary Islands, Tenerife, Balearic Islands, Costa del Sol, Asturias, Pyrenees, Mediterranean Beaches, Forests of Northern Spain, Ronda Cliffs)

Pound for Pound
1-New Zealand
2-Switzerland
3-Slovenia
4-Croatia
5-Panama
6-Malta
7-Nepal
8-Tajikistan
9-Norway
10-Costa Rica

Under-the-Radar
1-Morocco
2-Iran
3-Romania
4-Peru/Ecuador
5-Bhutan
6-Belize
7-Yemen
8-Laos
9-Iceland
10-Botswana/Namibia
I agree with everything except Australia. For such a huge country it lacks in diversity when it comes to geography and biodiversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 04:09 PM
 
817 posts, read 471,547 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I agree with everything except Australia. For such a huge country it lacks in diversity when it comes to geography and biodiversity.
Huh? Ever actually seen much or any of Australia? It's as diverse as any land mass of equivalent size. Even places like the Red Centre which a lot of people from overseas imagine to be sandy desert are actually pretty diverse: travel for a few hundred kilometers out from Alice Springs and you pass through a range of distinct climatic and ecological zones.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 03-19-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 03:06 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 4,117,660 times
Reputation: 4292
I think you have to categorize it I would love to go to Europe and see some of the little villages with old style buildings with big mountains in view, like in Switzerland or something. but the US does have that to a degree too and geographically the US is pretty much impossible to beat since it has everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top