Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels more overwhelming/urban?
NYC 37 60.66%
Seoul 24 39.34%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,195 times

Advertisements

NYC
Seoul has some bizarre abandoned/unurbanized places in the city that's surprising
I seen it via StreeView
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:12 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's not really low density though--those rowhouses pack people in as they're generally three to five floors (usually with a basement apartment) and connected and on blocks that are generally pretty small and have fairly narrow streets. The collective density those rowhouses end up hitting is definitely not low.
Yeah, those are not single homes, those are multiple apartments. I think I recognize that area as somewhere near Maimonides Hospital or Borough Park, Brooklyn. According to city data that area has a population density of about ~67K/sq mile. If you own an entire one of those things in Brooklyn today you're probably very wealthy.

And I don't think it's accurate at all to say that only Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are high density. There's also The Bronx and even parts of Queens that have Manhattan-level densities. Not to mention many other parts of BK outside the greater DTBK area.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:03 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Edge of Seoul's City- https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5653...7i13312!8i6656

Edge of NYC City-
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6938...7i13312!8i6656

Seoul City Density- 42,000ppsm
New York Density- 28,000 ppsm
I understand urbanity isn't all in Density, but for a place to be Urban, Density is often needed or a result of it.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah, those are not single homes, those are multiple apartments. I think I recognize that area as somewhere near Maimonides Hospital or Borough Park, Brooklyn. According to city data that area has a population density of about ~67K/sq mile. If you own an entire one of those things in Brooklyn today you're probably very wealthy.

And I don't think it's accurate at all to say that only Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are high density. There's also The Bronx and even parts of Queens that have Manhattan-level densities. Not to mention many other parts of BK outside the greater DTBK area.
Suburban New York is even less dense than suburban Los Angeles.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Suburban New York is even less dense than suburban Los Angeles.

I never said anything about suburbs. Im talking about the city. You are aware that Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queens are not suburbs right? They are part of NYC city limits.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

I never said anything about suburbs. Im talking about the city. You are aware that Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queens are not suburbs right? They are part of NYC city limits.
He understands that, I just think he includes the suburban s of NYC into the discussion and when you do that it is pretty obvious Seoul is more urban as much of their “suburbs” are just as dense satellite cities.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
He understands that, I just think he includes the suburban s of NYC into the discussion and when you do that it is pretty obvious Seoul is more urban as much of their “suburbs” are just as dense satellite cities.
Ok that makes sense. I was just confused because of the post they quoted me on.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:57 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times
Another banal thread.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 AM

315 posts, read 666,782 times
I recently visited Seoul for a few days. On paper, it would seem that Seoul *should* be "busier" and "more overwhelming" because it has a more populous and dense city proper and (by most accounts) a larger metro population. However, unless it was just some weird off week for Seoul, NYC definitely seems to be the busier city overall. I was quite surprised about how tame Seoul seems in comparison. I think part of this stems partly from Manhattan's absurdly high density, but also because Seoul just gets far fewer tourists and visitors overall than NYC.

That said, I don't think I have ever seen a city anywhere with as many highrises as Seoul. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by Lancer78; 11-25-2019 at 03:34 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 07:20 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well I like both cities, however while NYC feels more overwhelming and diverse, Seoul is much bigger but does not have a "real" center. I like city that have ONE center of everything, like Manhattan Times Square where you just feel that you are in the middle of the city. In Seoul you have so many different "sub-centers" such as Gangnam or City-Hall area or several shopping or dining districts (I love Insadong) but there is no place where you can really see that you are in the middle of the city. Sometimes you just take the Metro for 45 min and are still somewhere in the middle of the city.
However Seoul is much more modern, less overpriced, much cleaner and safer and overall a very nice place to be.
I actually like that Seoul doesn't have one true center, as it means that every part of the city has something that works as a CBD. I like the New York model too, they both have advantages and disadvantages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World