U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which feels more overwhelming/urban?
NYC 17 47.22%
Seoul 19 52.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:55 PM
 
163 posts, read 187,320 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Which city feels more urban and overwhelming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 572,183 times
Reputation: 950
I am not impressed with Seoul at all.

It is sprawling but ugly and bland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,155 posts, read 18,452,331 times
Reputation: 7869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I am not impressed with Seoul at all.

It is sprawling but ugly and bland.
I agree that Seoul is uglier and blander than NYC overall, but would also say it's more urban and overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:37 PM
 
898 posts, read 1,275,296 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I am not impressed with Seoul at all.

It is sprawling but ugly and bland.
Come on, nowhere is uglier than Aleppo and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Ask Waldo
773 posts, read 364,949 times
Reputation: 360
Buildings wise Seoul is much more diverse with a lot of new construction coming up. There is a futuristic city being build outside Seoul at Song-Do. Seoul is also spread out and has a better (and much cheaper) public transport. While New York is a melting pot of diversity, Seoul is 99.9999999999999% Koreans. Outside a small section of Seoul called Itaewon, they are hardly any foreigners. Restaurants are 95% Korean and even those that are not are half Korean cuisine.

Traffic is Seoul is much better than New York, plenty of taxis, wide streets in downtown Seoul, no potholes and absolutely no litter on the streets. Korean suspension bridges make New York bridges look ancient.


New York is a dump. Need I say more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Which city feels more urban and overwhelming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,199 posts, read 2,191,883 times
Reputation: 2011
Well I like both cities, however while NYC feels more overwhelming and diverse, Seoul is much bigger but does not have a "real" center. I like city that have ONE center of everything, like Manhattan Times Square where you just feel that you are in the middle of the city. In Seoul you have so many different "sub-centers" such as Gangnam or City-Hall area or several shopping or dining districts (I love Insadong) but there is no place where you can really see that you are in the middle of the city. Sometimes you just take the Metro for 45 min and are still somewhere in the middle of the city.
However Seoul is much more modern, less overpriced, much cleaner and safer and overall a very nice place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 04:08 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 572,183 times
Reputation: 950
Wide boulevards is an opposite of urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM
 
2,133 posts, read 779,252 times
Reputation: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Buildings wise Seoul is much more diverse with a lot of new construction coming up. There is a futuristic city being build outside Seoul at Song-Do. Seoul is also spread out and has a better (and much cheaper) public transport. While New York is a melting pot of diversity, Seoul is 99.9999999999999% Koreans. Outside a small section of Seoul called Itaewon, they are hardly any foreigners. Restaurants are 95% Korean and even those that are not are half Korean cuisine.

Traffic is Seoul is much better than New York, plenty of taxis, wide streets in downtown Seoul, no potholes and absolutely no litter on the streets. Korean suspension bridges make New York bridges look ancient.


New York is a dump. Need I say more.
this comment is wrong opinion to hold;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,126 posts, read 4,643,424 times
Reputation: 2520
I have never been to NY, however overweelming is not a word I'd use to describe seoul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
 
58 posts, read 22,006 times
Reputation: 58
NYC is not overwhelming... u want overwhelming? go to mexico city, paris in the summer, mumbai.

NYC is a gentrified starbucks type town!!!

people always love to make NYC sound as THE CITY, in reality there are places far crazier, faster, more crowded, more overwhelming than NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top