U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
10,562 posts, read 15,302,564 times
Reputation: 9266

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What cities outside Spain and Italy do you think are beautiful?
For me based on where I've visited:
Stockholm
Paris
Kraków
St. Petersburg
Dubrovnik
Hong Kong

Places that underwhelmed me based on my expectations:
London
Berlin
Beijing

Place that I really, really disliked:
Athens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM
 
573 posts, read 236,647 times
Reputation: 233
Chottandrah,.


You say that France ,Italy and Spain are overvalued.

However The artists and works of these 3 countries today fILL more than 50% of any treatise on art history .-

You think they are overvalued The Alhambra,The Great Channel of Venice ,The Escorial Saint Peter.
Velazquez,Leonardo,Michelangelo ,(80 Spanish Cathedrals) Versalles,The Louvre,The Prado,The Vaticano,Uffizi, etc etc etc etc etc .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................etc

I would like you to explain your opinion.-It would be very interesting because goes against the usual thinking ,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:06 AM
 
58 posts, read 17,833 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Chottandrah,.


You say that France ,Italy and Spain are overvalued.

However The artists and works of these 3 countries today fILL more than 50% of any treatise on art history .-

You think they are overvalued The Alhambra,The Great Channel of Venice ,The Escorial Saint Peter.
Velazquez,Leonardo,Michelangelo ,(80 Spanish Cathedrals) Versalles,The Louvre,The Prado,The Vaticano,Uffizi, etc etc etc etc etc .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................etc

I would like you to explain your opinion.-It would be very interesting because goes against the usual thinking ,.
I am not interested in places that are often considered beautiful/great/gorgeous by westerners.

I find westerners to be a fake people who value money way too much and place little emphasis on human value! So to me cities like Paris, London, Barcelona, New York represent all that, just emptiness and an adoration for money.

I personally would prefer a little town in Burma or some village in Bolivia over Madrid, Rome, Champs Elycee etc.

But that is just me, other people think differently!

Regarding art and so on, I don't care... I can see their work online from anywhere in the world! I can make my own art and feel at peace in my little spot of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 11:47 AM
 
573 posts, read 236,647 times
Reputation: 233
Floridanative 10

The tastes are not debatable.-All are respectable.-

But if you like the Asian cities only, for the low level of Crime and, for the large masses of people and your animation

I inform you that Spain and Italy are the countries with the lowest number of Crimes in the equivalent
statistics comparable to japan .-

And if you wants crowds and much animation , I recommend to you in the summer ,the nights of Madrid ,the Party halls of Ibiza or some mediterranean beach and if you want very strong emotions with, Great crowds can you visit the Cathedrals as the of Florence or Siena in August that what will they do you enjoy incomparably.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 01:05 PM
 
573 posts, read 236,647 times
Reputation: 233
Chottandrah.-
Thank you very much, by your explanation.-

But do not underestimate the spirituality of the Western Peoples in their history although today is more important the money that in other Centuries,..

And do not think that Asian giants like China ,Japan,etc are not looking for money with enthusiasm now .

Spain ,France and Italy have thousands of Monasteries where many very rich men and powerful who renounced to everything for go to the poverty and they aid to poor for Centuries at the same the time they built gothics wonderful monasteries dedicated to GOD.- .-

if you like these spiritual things also these 3 countries are unique in spirituality and beauty in secluded places

I only recommend 3 places among thousands for example Monte Casino in Italy,or the Abbey Sain t Michel in France and Saint Domingo of Silos in Spain.-

But remember that these things in the world only are for minorities -.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
 
943 posts, read 609,127 times
Reputation: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
I am not interested in places that are often considered beautiful/great/gorgeous by westerners.

I find westerners to be a fake people who value money way too much and place little emphasis on human value! So to me cities like Paris, London, Barcelona, New York represent all that, just emptiness and an adoration for money.
And this months prize for most ridiculously stupid sweeping generalisation goes to...

And that's saying something on this forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
Regarding art and so on, I don't care... I can see their work online from anywhere in the world! I can make my own art and feel at peace in my little spot of the world.
Yes, because seeing something online is exactly the same experience as seeing something for real Pretty sure you've only wandered around London, NYC, Paris and Barcelona on Google Earth


Ahhh...wait...new user...few posts...bashing western culture...hello Irene!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
 
Location: EU27
22,477 posts, read 13,176,118 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Spain ,France and Italy have thousands of Monasteries where many very rich men and powerful who renounced to everything for go to the poverty and they aid to poor for Centuries at the same the time they built gothics wonderful monasteries dedicated to GOD.- .-
Monasteries? That's some Pope crap? Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 04:36 AM
 
573 posts, read 236,647 times
Reputation: 233
You must respect the Monasteries and the Pope for 2 reasons :

1)Because every cultured person, Knows that the Greco- Roman- Culture ancient was maintained in Europe because in the Monasteries there was the copiers monks and also because , there, was created the wonderful gothic archiectonic style.

2)But above all because although one it could be, of lutheran religion or agnostic , as prevails in the culture of Finland the respect for the beliefs of others for example to the catholics and the Pope it is the only civilized position in the XXI century,-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 05:36 AM
 
Location: EU27
22,477 posts, read 13,176,118 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
You must respect the Monasteries and the Pope for 2 reasons :

1)Because every cultured person, Knows that the Greco- Roman- Culture ancient was maintained in Europe because in the Monasteries there was the copiers monks and also because , there, was created the wonderful gothic archiectonic style.

2)But above all because although one it could be, of lutheran religion or agnostic , as prevails in the culture of Finland the respect for the beliefs of others for example to the catholics and the Pope it is the only civilized position in the XXI century,-
Relax, I was joking. The king confiscated and destroyed all monasteries here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 AM
AFP
 
Location: California
4,369 posts, read 2,179,048 times
Reputation: 3636
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
You must respect the Monasteries and the Pope for 2 reasons :

1)Because every cultured person, Knows that the Greco- Roman- Culture ancient was maintained in Europe because in the Monasteries there was the copiers monks and also because , there, was created the wonderful gothic archiectonic style.

2)But above all because although one it could be, of lutheran religion or agnostic , as prevails in the culture of Finland the respect for the beliefs of others for example to the catholics and the Pope it is the only civilized position in the XXI century,-
You're wasting your time in trying to have an intelligent conversation with him(unless it's about Finland which I find boring or about the pedestrian friendliness of "European cities". I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time but there a long they way I noticed racist posts using the word "N****r", homophobic posts, and basically he goes around trolling threads about southern European countries and cultures for attention(very disrespectful). Anyway I finally put him on the ignore list. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:09 AM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top