Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:30 PM

400 posts, read 422,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
TH\hs I agree . Spain has better cities than italy.

compare the order and modernity of Madrid with the chaos of rome

the color, art of barcelona versus the blandness of milan

the modern but well preserved seville with the disaster that is naples

ithink spain is more modern than italy
well put. I agree and I'm of italian extraction so a bit partisan in my sympathies.
italians rest on their laurels too much. I told them as much to their face when I was there, which made a bit unpopular with some of my hosts. I told them that if they wanted some tips on how to upgrade some of their cities they should take a trip to Spain and look around a bit.

No one with eyes to see can deny that Spanish cities are mostly superior to italian (with the exception of Granada, which I found unremarkable and derivative).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM

400 posts, read 422,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
Italy and Spain are overrated in my opinion, France is also quite overrated. Actually most of Western Europe is really overrated.
Which place do you feel is underrated or rated just right ? Assuming you're being honest with your posts, you seem to have done quite a bit of traveling.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Which place do you feel is underrated or rated just right ? Assuming you're being honest with your posts, you seem to have done quite a bit of traveling.
You'll have to wait for Irene's twenty-seventh incarnation on here for an answer, she's been banned again...

But it seems she has done more travelling on Google Earth than in reality judging by her opinions.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
I do not like the competitions between Spain ,France and Italy the Great Mediterranean countries
I love the 3.-

The tastes are very personal.I would differentiate in these 3 cutures a different mentality and history that in my opinion is this.

Italy has a tradition in the art and the obsessive design by the armony and beauty without pair that he falls
in love to any person with sensitivity.Miguel angel rafael Fry Angelico,Boticheli,etc
His heel of Achiles is the indiscipline and unconcern for the thing publish.
That contrast is not understood a abandonment and filth in your cities next to artistic marvels -But Italy
remains a beauty wonderful .-

France has always been a wealthy country it did not bleed like Spain in wars and massive emigrations.-
The population of France not dispersed by the world and France she was always very rich this the make the most select people and this creates a very numerous minorities that demand luxury in the gastronomy in the fashion ,etc and today France is trying to mark the fashion, and yours culture in the world as always ,-

Spain had Empire that lasted more than the British Empire and that gives a mentality with more organization and discipline than the of italians .The particularity of Spanish culture is distinguished by the ORIGINALITy .-

The religious mystic before as in The Escorial or The Greco or realism for example in the drunks of
Velazquez ,etc etc.and then by original something that surprises in Goya and his horrible dreams and in Picasso with he destroying suddenly of all the paint before clasic, with the Guernica or in Dali and Gaudi that always astonish you .-

France Spain and Italy are 3 cultures wonderful,very complementary.-

Old 02-08-2017, 06:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Superior? A contry with an economy on its knees and a youth unemployment of 25% is by no way superior to any other lol.

I do think there are several countries in the world with very nice cities, they are just sometimes very different. While Spain and Italy have some very nice architecture, they often have problems with cleaniness and the overall conditions and maintenance of the old structures. A city that is less overwhelming but also less crowded, dirty and in better shape can be also nice.

Additionally to Spain, Italy and France I also liked cities in Croatia and Portugal.
What cities in Spain were dirty? I found the country to be quite clean.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:51 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Spain, France, Italy, Portugal.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:08 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
ireland is pretty unimpressive when it comes to our cities , dublin is very vibrant but id hardly call it beautiful

id pick spain over italy , barcelona , madrid , seville , all beautiful , i didnt like valencia ( for other reasons ) but it looks great
I don't find Barcelona beautiful AT ALL. Valencia is quite an ugly and anodinous city, not to talk about Zaragoza... Cities WERE beautiful before development and tourisme, during the 50's.

Seville, nice, Granada, too mant tourists...Segovia, nice, Avila, nice, Toledo, nice, Lugo, Oviedo, Santander, San Sebastian, Ubeda, Baeza, Merida, Caceres....and many other cities and small cities not entirely destroyed by development and tourism.

Madrid, as I like barroque and Austria or Hapsburg style and the city is very well taken care of, receiving millions from the king's powder...yes, nice.

But places visited massively by tourists are generally ugly.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:23 AM

lookyhare.-

About of the chaos and the indiscipline italian does not must insist ,with his relatives . Chaos and indiscipline is part of his wonderful charm.Nothing is perfect.-

His comment about Granada is very interesting .-

A trip for North to South of Spain is like crossing 3 different Continents . Even greater difference than in Italy where Naples and Turin that seem cities of different countries.

The north of Spain looks as a Austria next to the cantabrico Sea and Mountains of Europe equivalent to the Alps.
but with better climate and Granada is completely different is sub tropical.

When the Catholic kings and Emperor Carlos V arrived to Granada and saw the wonderful Alhambra they wanted to demonstrate that their Christian culture was so good ,and they gave the order to build with the best architects dozens of wonderful baroque Churches and the magnificent Reanacentista Palace of the Alhambra that unfortunately the tourists did not usually visit.-

The christian nobles, they remained in the marvelous Carmenes of Granada until today ( the Carmenes are Palaces of the moorish nobles flowing the water, and with aromatic flowers,some Paradises in the World)and they in 5 Centuries have not wanted to change anything and , all this stopped in the time .

As the modern city is not industrial and is in the less rich part of Spain the environment of Granada it is
charming but stopped in centuries ago as different a island without changes in its atmosphere and old appearance different of the rest of Spain deliberately to preserve its charm unique .-

However I warn you that Although the technical organization and municipal transport organization of Granada this masked in its old enviroment but is modern.-

Old 02-09-2017, 04:49 AM

karstico
It is true that mass of tourists in some cities, the affea , but I think that, exaggerates a lot,for example the architecture of Gaudi and of other architects modernists in Barcelona and the modern city of Arts and the beautiful vegetation of the river Turia of Valencia remain even wonderful -

Old 03-14-2017, 11:22 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
I've lived in both countries (Bologna and Madrid) for nearly 2 years.

Between Spain and Italy, Italy wins in the "Setting" department while Spain has more "Architectural Diversity" Overall, I think Spain edges it out.

Barcelona, Seville, Palma, Segovia, Madrid and San Sebastian are all incredibly different looking cities. They have different looks. Barcelona looks unique because of the Gaudi influence (Candyland-style) while San Sebastian has a more Parisian flair. Madrid has some stunning Beaux-Arts along the Gran Via with some traditional Spanish gems like Plaza Mayor. Segovia gives off Roman village vibes and the buildings look really old. Palma of course has a Mediterranean vibe with a Gothic Cathedral with North African influences. The variability of Spanish cities is fascinating. Girona has pastel homes that look incredibly unique. Bilbao looks industrial and gritty.

Italian cities have a much more common vernacular. Florence, Bologna and Venice have similar looks. Turin has more of a Beaux-Arts feel and Milan does have more of a gritty vibe. Rome is of course Roman Empire in appearance in parts. But outside of Alberobello and Matera (and likely Burano/Murano), I think there's a definite "Italian look."

Where Italy excels is in setting. There is really no equivalent to the Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast combo in Italy. The closest parallels are likely Cuenca and Ronda and they don't compare. Add to that the Alps, the Dolomites, the Appenines, Mount Vesuvius, pinaccles like San Leo, and there's no comparison. Spanish cities are somewhat far from their natural stunners.

The only countries that could compete with Italy and Spain are likely France and Morocco (on a per capita basis). China, Japan, and the UK have a ton of beautiful cities, but on a per capita basis can't compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World